1/6 Hot Toys – MMS – Back to the Future Part II: Marty McFly Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys – MMS – Back to the Future Part II: Marty McFly Collectible Figure

Us "classic collectors" that are into Robocop, Back To the Future, Batman, Terminator, Superman, Alien/s, etc. are a niche market now anyway. You check out the Star Wars and Marvel sections and it's clear what the majority of collectors want. People don't care about it like we do, they'd sooner have a repainted Iron Man or trooper than an all new character. That's just how it is.

I'm glad we got what we've gotten. DX 13 T-800, DX 09 Batman, Battle Damaged Robocop and Alex Murphy, Reeve Superman, Marty McFly, the '89 Batmobile and the Delorean, we got some pretty good stuff. The thing I don't like is how they throw up these teasers and leave the people interested in them hanging for months/years on end. Tease it when it's close to being put up for order or don't bother at all. The Ripley situation is just obnoxious. Marty McFly looked like he was ready to go after being at multiple shows, having a complete, whole body teaser and a new JC Hong painted portrait reveal for October. Then . . . nothing. Way to take advantage of that BTTF hype, you could have snagged people in October. Now? Forget it, only a select few are going to be interested in the line, or even less without as much as a Doc.

It also seems like they half ass the older licensed things they do now. MMS 238 Terminator is a missed opportunity, ED-209 is kind of insulting, Batman Returns seems rushed with minimal effort, same with Commando John Matrix. They kinda feel like scraps just to appease or "shut up" those interested in them amongst a sea of the typical Disney licensed stuff. You can't really blame them though I guess, I'm sure their resources and talent are stretched thin with all the licenses and figures they tackle. Their output for all these figures, and now, having characters out before or in time of release for a new movie is pretty impressive.

Last edited:

I agree, which is why I scooped up all the DXs and some of the older (from the first 200 or so) HT figures. I haven't really bothered from then on. I have a few like the first Marty and Delorean. Really don't care to buy any more IM.

I'm quite happy to wait for this to be honest. (Mainly down to cost) However, it was a massive mistake not releasing this product for pre-order during the hype. They totally screwed themselves over, but maybe it simply came down to a lack of resources. Star Wars or BTTF, they no doubt couldn’t do both in time, and no doubt SW carry’s more revenue for them in the short term and long time. Its still totaly rad though that even made a Marty Mcfly figure fullstop, ( which i might add stands proudly on the top shelf of my detolf)

Yeah simply with holidays and financial situation I'm happy they haven't put this up for PO yet

It's not an exclusive mentality to HT. They're all like it. Even a lot of the custom makers seem to be too. I've had my eye on five custom figures recently, very eager to get them, and they're all coming out this month - just the worst time. It's all about money, money, money and screw loyalty etc.

I'm happy HT are taking their time on Marty, but agree it's not fair to tease and then do nothing. But, not the first time they've done that - as someone else pointed out.

Us "classic collectors" that are into Robocop, Back To the Future, Batman, Terminator, Superman, Alien/s, etc. are a niche market now anyway. You check out the Star Wars and Marvel sections and it's clear what the majority of collectors want. People don't care about it like we do, they'd sooner have a repainted Iron Man or trooper than an all new character. That's just how it is.

I'm glad we got what we've gotten. DX 13 T-800, DX 09 Batman, Battle Damaged Robocop and Alex Murphy, Reeve Superman, Marty McFly, the '89 Batmobile and the Delorean, we got some pretty good stuff. The thing I don't like is how they throw up these teasers and leave the people interested in them hanging for months/years on end. Tease it when it's close to being put up for order or don't bother at all. The Ripley situation is just obnoxious. Marty McFly looked like he was ready to go after being at multiple shows, having a complete, whole body teaser and a new JC Hong painted portrait reveal for October. Then . . . nothing. Way to take advantage of that BTTF hype, you could have snagged people in October. Now? Forget it, only a select few are going to be interested in the line, or even less without as much as a Doc.

It also seems like they half ass the older licensed things they do now. MMS 238 Terminator is a missed opportunity, ED-209 is kind of insulting, Batman Returns seems rushed with minimal effort, same with Commando John Matrix. They kinda feel like scraps just to appease or "shut up" those interested in them amongst a sea of the typical Disney licensed stuff. You can't really blame them though I guess, I'm sure their resources and talent are stretched thin with all the licenses and figures they tackle. Their output for all these figures, and now, having characters out before or in time of release for a new movie is pretty impressive.

The above is all true and i'm not for one am not complaining about what we have gotten from HT. Your right to say we've gotten some great stuff from HT because we have and we should be grateful for that. Its just i'm saying it could well be the end of an era in terms of the licenses we all love especially those from the 80's. Whereas in the 2000's virtually every release from HT was some sort of character from the 80s/90s now it seems we are lucky to get one or two every 6 months (if even that). I guess that's just progress for you and everything moves on so its to be expected but for those of us who grew up in the 80/90's its hard to watch HT moving on in another direction.

The only good thing is that other less well known companies seem to be picking up the baton where ht left it, I'm talking about chronicle and 3a picking up the robocop licenses, art figures with their judge dredd and pitch black figures also vts and dam toys with their judge dredd, mad max and universal soldier figures. Its a good thing theres competition now and theres some great stuff out there in terms of collectibles at the moment outside of HT.

Last edited:

Lol. In loving memory...

latest

Oh, thank God! Y'know, I was only thinking the other day that we need another War Machine. It's been so long since they did anything Iron Man related. . .

LOL......I still Marvel at what people buy all these Iron men.....

Heh heh heh. . . I see what you did there!

Yeah, I know. When I started, I wanted all of them and I got the hall of armor and the test version and the main seven, and a few exclusives, and - Well, that's when I got annoyed that too many were being released. I just buy the ones I really like the look of now - like Bones.

Its_true_all_of_it.0.gif

Us classic collectors actually have the true disposable income.

Any news?

not going to happen i think......I'm convinced the first Marty was a slow seller..HT follows the big $$$$

not going to happen i think......I'm convinced the first Marty was a slow seller..HT follows the big $$$$

The same could be said about the Nicholson Joker. That thing was around for a while and for months could be even found below retail, then they released the Mime version and shocked everyone. [emoji38]

Back