1/6 Hot Toys - CMS022/CMS022B Marvel Comics Doctor Doom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will be my MCU Doom until proven otherwise that we’re getting something better than this. I’m just expecting an Iron Doom rather than classic like this.
Isn't this classic Doom? I see a modernized stylized in this piece.

1727101534290.jpeg

This reminds me of when all the fast food restaurants had to release their own version of the “Chicken Sandwich”. Hot Toys apparently decided to put theirs on a Pretzel bun with Romaine lettuce and (Exclusive) Honey Dijon sauce.

I can’t decide if I should sell my S-Hero version for this or see what a HONŌ version would look like. Also curious to see how this Doom would pair with your standard HT Iron Man vs the HONŌ Iron Man or the CMS versions 🤔

…or for something completely different…
IMG_2193.jpeg

This reminds me of when all the fast food restaurants had to release their own version of the “Chicken Sandwich”. Hot Toys apparently decided to put theirs on a Pretzel bun with Romaine lettuce and (Exclusive) Honey Dijon sauce.

I can’t decide if I should sell my S-Hero version for this or see what a HONŌ version would look like. Also curious to see how this Doom would pair with your standard HT Iron Man vs the HONŌ Iron Man or the CMS versions 🤔

…or for something completely different…View attachment 727401

Usually when a third party does something like a Doom etc, it usually means an official licensed version is coming down the road, I’ve noticed anyway.

Rumours are they are going to be announcing an Artisan Harley Quinn and a Scarecrow that comes with a Murphy head sculpt.
Black Widow Avengers GIF

Seriously this would be great, are the rumors coming from a certain post or something that's giving that impression?

…or for something completely different…View attachment 727401
OOOOOOOH,
Now THAT is a cool concept shelf/display - Vader vs DOOM.
Yeah, thats the one for me.

Gosh, good and bad news if Hot Toys is going to start (or focus) on making comic-based figures. I guess I never really paid attention to the classic Iron Man and Spider-Man stuff they did previously.

Weird that they're already up to CMS022 and I haven't really been paying attention. But they've been putting some of those con-exclusive Spider-Man figures under the CMS banner, plus the Armorized Deadpool. They did do that classic Iron Man, plus the two Dark Empire Lukes count as two separate entries. So, they've definitely been padding that series.

But yeah, if they take this approach with X-Men, I'm in big trouble.

I hope the MCU version looks this cool. I’m scared it’s just going to be a silver iron man with some green accents and a cape. They need to get this right.

Looks really good, but also not really a "classic" Doom. Either way, not something for me. I guess too much detail to be able to price it into the Hono line.

I'm sure HT jumped on this due to the announcement of RDJ as the MCU Doom. To tide fans over until the FF movie reveal. And also to take sales away from that unlicensed figure.

Plus, I'm sure this will look much better than whatever design they give him in the MCU. All you Doom fans should jump on this before being disappointed in the MCU RDJ version... :lol

Hot Toys' was inspired by this Sideshow maquette:

View attachment 727416
This makes me think that this figure would benefit from sculpted, folded arms. The Figuarts toys did that with their Vegeta. Just such an obvious way to pose Doom, but you can't do it well with articulated toy arms.

N2712189001001_001.jpg

Looks really good, but also not really a "classic" Doom. Either way, not something for me. I guess too much detail to be able to price it into the Hono line.
I agree that it isn't 100% a classic design, but Hot Toys has a very hard time actually giving us purely classic designs, so I don't know if they will ever do a Doom in that style. They took liberties with their Wolverine figures, they took liberties with Magneto, they even took liberties with "comic" Spidey's eyes by doing something that wasn't an obvious reference to his most established comic designs. The only one that I've seen that is indisputably the classic comic look is the Hono Iron Man. But even that comes after "comic" versions that weren't comic versions at all with the panel lines, weird helmet, etc.

Gosh, good and bad news if Hot Toys is going to start (or focus) on making comic-based figures. I guess I never really paid attention to the classic Iron Man and Spider-Man stuff they did previously.

Weird that they're already up to CMS022 and I haven't really been paying attention. But they've been putting some of those con-exclusive Spider-Man figures under the CMS banner, plus the Armorized Deadpool. They did do that classic Iron Man, plus the two Dark Empire Lukes count as two separate entries. So, they've definitely been padding that series.

But yeah, if they take this approach with X-Men, I'm in big trouble.
I think you'll be safe. At least for me when I think about it, it would take something not done previously or monumental in look in order to sway a purchase for me. In the case for Spider-Man for example, I have so many by now that it would take a lot for me to get one in comic-accurate form. Love X-Men but the only one they could put up for me that is a no brainer would be Beast, Forge, Bishop & Jean Grey because I already have everyone else covered mostly to my satisfaction. I also think HT (or Hono) won't really stick their neck out too far because...they're afraid to. I think more Comic Accurate figures you can expect to see whether it's them or Hono would include: War Machine, Cyclops, Venom, Daredevil, Cap (Rogers), Gambit, Storm, Widow, Hulk, Moon Knight, Black Panther.

I think more Comic Accurate figures you can expect to see whether it's them or Hono would include: War Machine, Cyclops, Venom, Daredevil, Cap (Rogers), Gambit, Storm, Widow, Hulk, Moon Knight, Black Panther.
I would expect Phoenix as well (easy exclusive variant in the red suit), but that is in line with my thinking. And once the Fantastic Four movie comes out I wouldn't be surprised to see them. I would also like to see more classic Avengers like Ant-Man, the Wasp, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver. Then it would be nice to see a smattering of more contemporary characters like Punisher and Ghost Rider. But these should be second tier releases after we get more of the A-listers.

Villain-wise I would expect to see major enemies like Kang, Thanos, Red Skull, Apocalypse, Green Goblin, and Doc Ock. Maybe some aliens like Skrulls and army builders like Hydra and AIM grunts.

I would expect Phoenix as well (easy exclusive variant in the red suit), but that is in line with my thinking. And once the Fantastic Four movie comes out I wouldn't be surprised to see them. I would also like to see more classic Avengers like Ant-Man, the Wasp, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver. Then it would be nice to see a smattering of more contemporary characters like Punisher and Ghost Rider. But these should be second tier releases after we get more of the A-listers.

Villain-wise I would expect to see major enemies like Kang, Thanos, Red Skull, Apocalypse, Green Goblin, and Doc Ock. Maybe some aliens like Skrulls and army builders like Hydra and AIM grunts.
We'll see. I'm looking at it logistically. Also taking into account what comes out in any given stretch of time regarding TV and Movies. HT and Hono don't really stick their neck out there too far, therefore B-listers would be shocking to see.

If it's a simple figure (not many accessories, simple sculpt, easy construction), easy sell - it will be under the Hono banner.
More complex figure (design, construction, size, accessories), maybe an easy to moderate sell - HT CMS banner.

I would say that this is extremely likely. Just expect it to be another wacky variant and not the classic Endoskeletons from Terminator 1 and 2. Because that's been Hot Toys' jam since that horrible Salvation movie on.

Doing a Google search I see a T-500, a T-900, a T-X, and an Ultra 5000 that I'm sure would suit Mr. Chan just fine.
That does seem to be the trend. Wouldn't be my preference, but honestly I'll happily take whatever we get, Endo-wise. I can lie to myself easier about what movie he's from than if it was an Arnold from Genesis or Dark Fate instead.

Back