1/6 Hot Toys - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back - Chewbacca

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously...have you met Lumpy???
This may be an incredibly unpopular opinion but Black Krrsantan is the best looking Wookie design
1000010701.jpg

😁😁😁😁

The eyes are mis-aligned which means they’re definitely movable. Maybe not perfect but hands-down their best Chewie by far.

It certainly looks better without camera flash. The eyes still look like plug-ins from the old TFA version to me. It appears to have the same hinged mouth as well.

Maybe the proto was hastily put together for the comic con.

s524297-452925830-1204668310709520-28504484705863977-n - Copy.jpgStar-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Hot-Toys-Chewbacca-005.jpg

So, PO coming soon or going to put it under a ESB 45th anniversary banner next year along Bespin Han?

Lots of problems with this one, but it mostly seems to revolve around the muzzle and neck.

His face is way too small on the head.
but the neck just has no form at all, which perhaps can be futzed...

They got the color correct at least.
1722454427030.jpeg

Yeah I think its an issue of all the elements being in place and it actually being really well done and looking better than decent (a big step up on even the ANH Chewie) but the likeness is just off. It just doesn't look or more specifically "feel" like Chewie from the OT (like capturing something of the essence), let alone specifically ESB.

It maybe has a slight "generic wookie" and slight ST/TFA Chewie vibe (ST Chewie nearly always looked distinctly different to OT Chewie to me) but also has a touch of the "small dog" look which Chewie in the OT really doesn't have.

Chewie likeness is something even Hasbro well over a decade ago was able to achieve with a 4" scale sculpt. They nailed OT Chewie, though obviously fully sculpted is way easier than part sculpted-part glued/styled fur.

I really hope this gets released and doesn’t disappear into the Con-vault like so many other figures have done
I could see that happening if they had simply reused one of the previous Chewies and thrown a 3PO on his back, but the fact they reworked the head makes me think they're serious about making it.

I could see that happening if they had simply reused one of the previous Chewies and thrown a 3PO on his back, but the fact they reworked the head makes me think they're serious about making it.
They did completely re-tailor the long-delayed Death Star Trooper figure last year and still no PO, and they did go to all the tooling trouble to make a 1/6 C-3PO preview and then wait 5+ years to actually put a threepio up for PO. :dunno :(

We are indeed a bit overdue for a new Chewie and next year is the 45th for ESB, but HT works in mysterious ways.

They did completely re-tailor the long-delayed Death Star Trooper figure last year and still no PO, and they did go to all the tooling trouble to make a 1/6 C-3PO preview and then wait 5+ years to actually put a threepio up for PO. :dunno :(

We are indeed a bit overdue for a new Chewie and next year is the 45th for ESB, but HT works in mysterious ways.
Long overdue for Han.

Long overdue for Han.
They never did do a Han Bespin headsculpt though (it was just the pedo-smirk Solo stormie head in the Leia pics) - you could argue that getting one-off Bespin jacket/pants done by their tailoring team wouldn't have been a huge deal.

The fact there's finally a new Han coming really does make that whole Han Bespin tease (SIX years ago...) a strange one. Not to mention said new Han looking a little on the funky side with that super-wrinkly forehead.

HT is weird though - if you were Howard and were free to do a new Han after all these years (as Howard is now proven to be,) you'd think all-new ANH smuggler (maybe with cantina table/seats,) Han Hoth or Han Bespin with classic Han expression. Not a niche/scene-specific and slightly weird expression on a trenchcoat Han.

But... HT is weird. Wish for a Han Bespin, get a gonk droid. Wish for classic ANH Tusken, get fugly Mando Tusken - ditto the Dewback and Biker Scout, just with some OT tweaks.

Last edited:
Back