1/6 Hot Toys - MMS363 - Captain America: Civil War - Black Panther Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^i think they did and have it already :p

kinda hoping to randomly see it pop up instock somewhere and before anyone laughs me out of here it happend with Dp so......:ignore:

Hey all, I'd really like to hear opinions from as many people as possible PLEASE.

Here goes, so I've been collecting HT since Avengers 1 and of course there's always some great ones and others not so great. I am not exclusive to Marvel, Star Wars or DC but they are my main focus. I like to complete lines and that will sometimes "force" me to buy sub-par figures. CW is the same situation and while I've been pretty consistent with mostly everyone's opinion on each release, I just don't understand the love for Black Panther.

I've watched reviews from pretty much anyone who will post on YouTube, read posts on the forums, read posts on FB groups and this figure gets universal praise but I just don't get it.

Why are so many people in love with this figure? I get that the articulation is great and the suit is rather unrestrictive but when I received mine I was very underwhelmed. I mean 3 sets of hands (and really only the claws are the ones to use) but nothing else, just bare bones. Yeah, accessories don't make or break a figure for me and I honestly can't think of anything else that could have made it a better figure (except a T'Challa headsculpt).

So please, what's my deal? What am I missing? I mean I even bought 2.

I loved the character in the movie is a big part for me and i think HT did an awesome job with the little details and the suit.

I loved the character in the movie is a big part for me and i think HT did an awesome job with the little details and the suit.

Same for me. Honestly, I thought he was one of the best characters in CW but I still just think the figure is underwhelming. I went through all the blogger posts that HT puts up when they release a figure and tried a bunch of the poses but still felt limited. Obviously the figure can get into amazing poses but none of them really felt like "the one".

Maybe I should dremmel Hawkeye's staff in half and have Panther posed like he just sliced it in 2 pieces. That might solve my dilemma!

Hey all, I'd really like to hear opinions from as many people as possible PLEASE.

Here goes, so I've been collecting HT since Avengers 1 and of course there's always some great ones and others not so great. I am not exclusive to Marvel, Star Wars or DC but they are my main focus. I like to complete lines and that will sometimes "force" me to buy sub-par figures. CW is the same situation and while I've been pretty consistent with mostly everyone's opinion on each release, I just don't understand the love for Black Panther.

I've watched reviews from pretty much anyone who will post on YouTube, read posts on the forums, read posts on FB groups and this figure gets universal praise but I just don't get it.

Why are so many people in love with this figure? I get that the articulation is great and the suit is rather unrestrictive but when I received mine I was very underwhelmed. I mean 3 sets of hands (and really only the claws are the ones to use) but nothing else, just bare bones. Yeah, accessories don't make or break a figure for me and I honestly can't think of anything else that could have made it a better figure (except a T'Challa headsculpt).

Don't question yourself for how you feel, it's all good as everyone has different reasons for why they do or don't like a particular figure. I'm african american, so for me it's nice to see the appreciation for black characters, especially this one being the first african american super hero as well as being well done overall. Although it doesn't come with much, think about it, superman doesn't come with much either, it's simply the love of the character. Sure, Black Panther could have come with a Chadwick Boseman head sculpt, but HTs wants to make money and not give you everything right now. They'll make another one from the solo movie that will definitely come with an alternate head sculpt, probably a cape and maybe be in black and gold, who knows. This is most likely why the DX line has gone, give em' everything now, no incentive to buy another one later. Don't buy a figure based on everyone else's opinion when yours is the one that counts. I guess that's the cost when your goal is to complete lines.

Don't question yourself for how you feel, it's all good as everyone has different reasons for why they do or don't like a particular figure. I'm african american, so for me it's nice to see the appreciation for black characters, especially this one being the first african american super hero as well as being well done overall. Although it doesn't come with much, think about it, superman doesn't come with much either, it's simply the love of the character. Sure, Black Panther could have come with a Chadwick Boseman head sculpt, but HTs wants to make money and not give you everything right now. They'll make another one from the solo movie that will definitely come with an alternate head sculpt, probably a cape and maybe be in black and gold, who knows. This is most likely why the DX line has gone, give em' everything now, no incentive to buy another one later. Don't buy a figure based on everyone else's opinion when yours is the one that counts. I guess that's the cost when your goal is to complete lines.

Great points! I was excited when I first saw CA: TWS in the theater and Anthony introduced himself as Sam Wilson saying to myself "finally some ****ing diversity with superheroes" even though a lot of my friends hated his portrayal. It also felt great that in CW, T'Challa wasn't riddled with stereotypes and I knew I needed the figure in my collection. It's just strange for me that a character I've always loved, was portrayed well in the film and who's figure gets widely praised just misses the mark for me.

Yeah it's a shame that DX has gone the way of the dinosaur but I've accepted that and I knew it was a barebones release when I preordered it. Like I said, maybe I just need to pair him fighting with HE to make him look as dynamic as he actually is. Thanks for the input!

Great points! I was excited when I first saw CA: TWS in the theater and Anthony introduced himself as Sam Wilson saying to myself "finally some ****ing diversity with superheroes" even though a lot of my friends hated his portrayal. It also felt great that in CW, T'Challa wasn't riddled with stereotypes and I knew I needed the figure in my collection. It's just strange for me that a character I've always loved, was portrayed well in the film and who's figure gets widely praised just misses the mark for me.

Yeah it's a shame that DX has gone the way of the dinosaur but I've accepted that and I knew it was a barebones release when I preordered it. Like I said, maybe I just need to pair him fighting with HE to make him look as dynamic as he actually is. Thanks for the input!

Anytime! :duff

the character is the driving force behind 99% of my purchases, its a emotional tie that increases my enjoyment for sumthin like this which is indeed bare-bones compared to other releases. having this inhand while i read some of the newer comics will be a treat(if i can get one). if its meh inhand i imagine your not that into the character which is fine to each their own

a high end ver of a beloved character sums it up.

Well, you're not alone - I'm still on the fence. Even with all the rave reviews. OK, so, I really love the CW Bucky, and there's another "barebones" figure. In that case, for me it's a lot of appreciating the details - paint job, costume details, figure sturdiness, excellent rifle, custom possibilities. But I'm really undecided about BP - the single thing I see in pics I love the most is the claws and the suit detail. Love the eyes. But. Not one post I've seen really gives a good feel for what that suit is made of, for one thing. One post says it feels like neoprene. These figs aren't made to last forever, but makes me nervous re that suit. Not even sure how you repair something rubber? Silicon?

And am kind of mildly annoyed they didn't put in another set of clawed hands, if nothing else.

And finally just being spoiled rotten from owning a poly BP. Yeah, I know, it's not the same thing, and all. But just haven't been able to make the leap from already owning a stellar CW BP, and knowing the BP movie will come out, and just - I dunno. It's a lot of money if you are on the fence. If he were maybe $50 cheaper I'd already own him. It's like I'd like HT BP, just don't feel like paying the price for him at the moment? That I'd rather PO Dr. Strange, even tho I like BP better, overall, as a character (for me), because DS is iconic AND comes so fully loaded? Hafta make choices $$$$. Then I think too, the second a new BP comes out, these original BPs will flood the market, and maybe I can get one cheaper then. Maybe.

I love the head sculpt and the suit is nicely done, but the legs look awkward and are limited in what they can do. The arms look really nice so its weird that the legs are kind of odd looking.

It's a very nice figure but not a home run. I have been thinking I might end up preferring a nice 1:1 mask to this figure since the head sculpt is really my favorite part.

Well, you're not alone - I'm still on the fence. Even with all the rave reviews. OK, so, I really love the CW Bucky, and there's another "barebones" figure. In that case, for me it's a lot of appreciating the details - paint job, costume details, figure sturdiness, excellent rifle, custom possibilities. But I'm really undecided about BP - the single thing I see in pics I love the most is the claws and the suit detail. Love the eyes. But. Not one post I've seen really gives a good feel for what that suit is made of, for one thing. One post says it feels like neoprene. These figs aren't made to last forever, but makes me nervous re that suit. Not even sure how you repair something rubber? Silicon?

It feels similar (to me) to the Vision suit and the body build (especially in the legs) is very close to vision but i'm not sure what the material is. Probably something weird that will give use all cancer in 10 years. I'm used to IM figures that usually only come with extra hands so i'm not to bothered with the lack of extras with this guy.

I thought about waiting for the solo movie but even if it came with a unmasked HS i doubt i would ever use it so i am good with this one. Also Avengers 3 will be out 3 months after the solo film and i'm saving my pennies for any figures i might want from that and Avengers 4. He is not a must have right now because there will probably be 2 or 3 more BP figures in the next couple years.

I didn't wanna get him at first due to the fact that he seriously just comes with a few extra hands and that's it. And I wanted a T'Challa head sculpt so I told myself I'd wait for his solo movie version. Then I saw the reviews and imo he's looking mighty fine and articulation is very promising so I ultimately caved and preordered him. I don't mind how many accessories he comes with coz I usually don't use a lot for display. What's more important to me is articulation coz I love reposing my figures once in a while. Now look at Deadpool. Great figure and so many poses I'd love to put him in that ... I can't coz the suit is too restrictive or I'm afraid it will get damaged. BP here doesn't seem to be like that so I'm all in!

Moreover, I just loved the guy in CW. In fact he was one of the best things in the movie imo and on top of that, he's just looking so damn fine, I need that guy on my shelf. :lol

It feels similar (to me) to the Vision suit and the body build (especially in the legs) is very close to vision but i'm not sure what the material is. Probably something weird that will give use all cancer in 10 years. I'm used to IM figures that usually only come with extra hands so i'm not to bothered with the lack of extras with this guy.

LOL I probably shouldn't have laughed at this but I did:lol. Srsly as long as it's not leaking oil (Batman DX and others...seeing as I don't buy HT's supposed explanations when HT has gone cheap:( re costumes - e.g. there are rubber toys that last years w. no problems).

But I don't have Vision either! - guess what I am trying to figure out is the suit a coating over cloth - or ALL silicon/rubber/plastic or other. Because, if a repair is needed, it's easier IMO to deal w. a cloth base (e.g. original Deadpool wrist fraying). But ALL rubber/silicon - like the splitting arm issue w. some figs - at the moment, not even sure what to do, IF it happens.

Not trying to be a downer. But 200$ + is a lot of money IMO for something I'd want to pose and keep posed, without having to worry about it:horror. Haven't read any complaints like that yet, but the fig is pretty new.

Haven't seen many pics in the past couple pages. Here are a couple pics I took today changing things up messing around. He's so fun to adjust and readjust. Suit definitely feels resilient

IMG_3875.jpg
IMG_3879.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really great pics, mustang - thanks for posting! Great look for someone like me who is still fence-sitting.

Back