1/6 Hot Toys - MMS411 - GOTG Vol.2 - Rocket

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to know how my "bread" is made. I collect these figures because they are top quality, not because they are economical. If $50 is the make or break for you there are lots of cheaper lines you could collect. Anyone thinking this should retail for around $150 is out of touch with why these figures cost so much in the first place.

And the Elitist of the Day Award goes to.......... :panic:

Oh please. You can't come on here crying about $50 and not expect that argument. I for one am very happy to see a better version of Rocket get released and am happy to spend my lunch money on it.

If this had been a bare bones release at the same price point people would be on here complaining about it being a repaint.

In all seriousness if $50 is such a massive deal to you that you feel the need to "vote with your wallet" you are straight up, all day for days, in the wrong hobby. Not trying to be mean, but it is what it is. These are the highest end sixth scale figures you can buy on the planet -- and you pay for what you get.

Excellent point. I will just go ahead and sell the 30+ HT figures I currently own because I can't afford the extra $50 on this one. I've seen the light!

Seriously, I'm not trying to be mean either, but arguments like this that presume a collectors income and/or budget for 1/6 figures are pretty poor arguments exactly because they are solely based on presumptions. Some of us simply just don't want to buy things for reasons other than "we can't afford it."

The reason why I've been ordering more HT from Hong Kong.
You getting them from Ebay or from online shops?

Seriously, be glad if you're in the US and 'only' have to pay SS's jacked-up prices. We from Europe are so lucky that we don't just pay SS's ridiculous prices, no, we get to pay additionally for the distributors who import from SS and then for the retailer who kinda also wants to make a living. And this wouldn't be so bad if SS didn't get all greedy. And yes, sorry but they are.

So, no reason to blame Rocket's ridiculously high price on Hot Toys.

I collect these figures because they are top quality, not because they are economical.
At one point Hot Toys were the be all end all...but not so much anymore. There are quite a few other companys upping their game. I've bought quite a few Hot Toys releases this past year, but for my money I am enjoying the Wasteland Ranger (albeit unlicensed) or QMX's Star Trek figures more than anything else.

To me the issue, as others have said, is more perceived value. Enough is enough with the pricing Sideshow. I am a huge Bond fan also but this is the reason I am skipping the Goldfinger set. I just don't think they are worth the coin. If they come out great, and maybe go on sale, I will revisit them...same goes for Rocket, but it has to be a steep savings on this one.

At one point Hot Toys were the be all end all...but not so much anymore. There are quite a few other companys upping their game. I've bought quite a few Hot Toys releases this past year, but for my money I am enjoying the Wasteland Ranger (albeit unlicensed) or QMX's Star Trek figures more than anything else.

To me the issue, as others have said, is more perceived value. Enough is enough with the pricing Sideshow. I am a huge Bond fan also but this is the reason I am skipping the Goldfinger set. I just don't think they are worth the coin. If they come out great, and maybe go on sale, I will revisit them...same goes for Rocket, but it has to be a steep savings on this one.

I'm all for third party figures, and by no means am I married to HT as a brand. Lot's of other companies have totally upped their sixth scale game. My argument was more "price be damned" just give me the best figure possible. If there was another, cheaper, better rocket out there, I'd jump on it. But there isn't, and frankly I'm just happy that this exists at all. A decade ago even the thought of a Rocket Racoon figure made to this quality seemed impossible -- yet here we are. And I'm super pumped about it!!

:yess:

To be fair, if you're not concerned about how something is made, then you aren't really in the position to comment on the actual value of a figure. Manufacturing processes don't scale the way you seem to think they do. Take it from someone who actually works for a Manufacturer that deals with some pretty tight tolerances.

This is one of those situations where expectation meets reality, and its clear your expectation about the perceived value of these figures is in no way congruent with the reality of what goes into manufacturing one of these figures.

I just don't know how you can disagree with business practices that you yourself state you're not interested in learning about.

:lurking Isn't the smiling head, body, tail, most hands and feet, suit fabric, whiskers.. all re-use?

:lurking Isn't the smiling head, body, tail, most hands and feet, suit fabric, whiskers.. all re-use?
Pretty much. It's the same mold from the first release. It's just different paint apps. I'm not sure why anyone here thinks it's a "better" release. Boggles the mind.

Simply overpriced.

Sent from my XT1225 using Tapatalk

Pretty much. It's the same mold from the first release. It's just different paint apps. I'm not sure why anyone here thinks it's a "better" release. Boggles the mind.

Simply overpriced.

There's a lot more guns AND a second headsculpt. It's a better release. Is it $60 better than the first? No, of course not. But it IS better.

The only bad thing about this is it comes out next year right before Avengers and the Rocket from that movie might be even "better" than this one :lol

There's a lot more guns AND a second headsculpt. It's a better release. Is it $60 better than the first? No, of course not. But it IS better.
You got me there. It's better in terms of added things.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I never liked the orange suit on the first Rocket so to me, this one's also better in terms of the outfit.

Don't mind the dude. He comes off as pretentious in the forums.

Can you provide proof? If not, kindly not pull **** out of your ass.
Right. I think setting the expectation, regardless of high price, to be perfect seriously needs to learn about statistics and manufacturing yield.

Simply saying "it's $250, it better work", is simply ignorant and borderline juvenile.

Even the Galaxy Note 7 exploded for crying out loud. BMWs has had defects and recalls. Even Tesla Model S has had recalls as I had to bring mine in.

Point being there will always be a certain percentage that will have some sort of defect. Expecting 100% perfection is completely ignorant. Nothing in the world is perfect.

To get your pitchforks out and overreact over 5 for-sure defective figures? Give me a fu-king break.

Market prices are usually driven by demand and supply. Considering the demand for these and the limited supply, I think anyone with a high school degree can figure that out.
We shouldn't be quick to judge that someone wants to make a quick profit.

go on.jpg

I never liked the orange suit on the first Rocket so to me, this one's also better in terms of the outfit.

Agreed -- the pouches are nice also. I'm still pretty firm on the new editions easily being worth the extra $60 (or so), you'd for sure make at least that parting out the new head sculpt.

this one is def better than the first one...I think it's a bit pricey as most of u guys do, but heck I'm still gonna get this ASAP when it's released. gotta have it & baby groot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If i did not have the 1st one i would pick this up but i'm trying to be one and done with these things. I'm only picking up new characters from GotG2 and maybe Gammora if HT goes crazy and sells her with that big ass gun :lol

Back