1/6 Hot Toys - MMS755 - Episode I: The Phantom Menace - Droideka

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see a lot of chatter about this. I myself have zero interest in it... and the streak continues...
Yeah this is another PT design I love but in the movie I could never quite figure out how this high tech machine-gun/deflector shield/rolling megadroid existed decades before ANH only to be "replaced" by stormtroopers and IG-88. Like was there a zombie apocalypse in the interim? :lol

Where is Grievous!!!!?
8uqgxg.jpg

Yeah this is another PT design I love but in the movie I could never quite figure out how this high tech machine-gun/deflector shield/rolling megadroid existed decades before ANH only to be "replaced" by stormtroopers and IG-88. Like was there a zombie apocalypse in the interim? :lol

Why invest in expensive Droids when you can just draft citizens into your army?

I still haven't pulled the trigger. Love the design, but after the fun of unboxing I know I'd set it up in my display room and promptly forget about it 10 minutes later like everything else these days. Lol

I struggle with this.

Basically, every figure is this story. I can't tell you how many figures I have taken out of the box with the intent to futz, and now they have been sitting there for months...

I struggle with this.

Basically, every figure is this story. I can't tell you how many figures I have taken out of the box with the intent to futz, and now they have been sitting there for months...
Yup, even great figures like Fennic I barely touch or think about much after setting them up in a decent pose. And sometimes I can go a week without even stepping foot in that room.

And yet... anytime I consider selling some of them they seem too cool to part with.

I think what I need is a figure rental service, where I get the thrill of ordering and unboxing a new figure... and then after a few weeks someone comes by and picks it back up after I've completely lost interest. 😁

Definitely.

Managing expectations is necessary. That said, you can also get "caught up" in the heat of a movie, show or nostalgic figure that, over time, doesn't really resonate.

There are still many figures on my shelf that I love to look at and still get a thrill of owning them. Sadly, there are even more where the luster has worn off... particularly with newer movies/franchises.

This is why I find rotating a display particularly rewarding. Some figures need to go away for awhile and then come back months or a year or two later appreciated.

Definitely.

Managing expectations is necessary. That said, you can also get "caught up" in the heat of a movie, show or nostalgic figure that, over time, doesn't really resonate.

There are still many figures on my shelf that I love to look at and still get a thrill of owning them. Sadly, there are even more where the luster has worn off... particularly with newer movies/franchises.

This is why I find rotating a display particularly rewarding. Some figures need to go away for awhile and then come back months or a year or two later appreciated.
How many figs do you own - like several dozen or well over 100? I think scale of collection does come into play in this. I do sometimes feel like an unpaid 1/6 museum curator. :lol

How many figs do you own - like several dozen or well over 100? I think scale of collection does come into play in this. I do sometimes feel like an unpaid 1/6 museum curator. :lol

A lot... but many are leftovers from a bygone era -- like the Sideshow 2005-2012 -- and are packed away, never to be displayed again. There's also many older 3rd party figures -- like Asmus LOTR, for instance -- which also have been packed away. So I do have A LOT of figures if you total up everything in storage -- however, I don't have an obscene amount that I actually display ('obscene' is relative, I understand). I'm displaying about 75 figures right now... and I have another 50 that I can rotate in every 6 months or so.

A lot... but many are leftovers from a bygone era -- like the Sideshow 2005-2012 -- and are packed away, never to be displayed again. There's also many older 3rd party figures -- like Asmus LOTR, for instance -- which also have been packed away. So I do have A LOT of figures if you total up everything in storage -- however, I don't have an obscene amount that I actually display ('obscene' is relative, I understand). I'm displaying about 75 figures right now... and I have another 50 that I can rotate in every 6 months or so.
I'm glad I got into 1/6 just as the "new generation" figs were coming in to replace 2005-2012 stuff from SSC, Medi and others. I probably would have the same number of outdated figs, even though some of those still have quite good outfits, weapons and accessories, so are not a complete loss.

But I have 200+ OT SW (plus 25-30 OT Indy, tiny number of GB, Galactica etc) - all on display - and literally only ONE fig in storage/boxes. :horror Just SSC R5 in a box - I got the HT version (going to repaint it as "how long have you had these droids?" yellow background R5 to be alongside my new custom Dewback.)

Wow... I didn't realize there were 200 figures of OT Star Wars.

Lucky!!!

You need a cavern just to store all the boxes the figures come in.
Close to half are customs, partly or fully, plus I have a ton of variants (I have SW, ESB and ROTJ variants of various troopers.) Obviously 3/4 of Indy are customs. I also have stupid multiples like 3 Lando Skiffs (no helmet, sandstorm, classic look) 3 CHewies (ANH/ESB/ROTJ) 4 HT Luke Bespins (updated DX07s and new ones) and 2 each of HT and SSC R2. It adds up.

And yeah accursed boxes... always tempted to put them in less climate-controlled environment but never do. If only 1/6 came sealed on bubbled cards. :lol

I genuinely think it's the hyperfixation we all get into up to a figure's release. We've seen the figures inside and out and overanalyzed it to the point of redundancy that getting a figure isn't exciting.

We literally spoil a movie for ourselves before watching it, essentially.

Agreed. To counter this, once a figure I have on order is released, I usually unsubscribe from the thread and stop following it once the initial blogger and first in-hand shots appear. That makes the unboxing experience much more novel.
I haven't been able to do that for InArt releases though because of the drawn out batch release system, which makes me want to stay up to date.

Definitely.

This is what I have found as well. Over the years, I bought some "newer movie/franchise" figures such as the original HT Iron Mark Mark VI or a comic Deadpool. But those were always the figures I sold off quickest again.
Now I basically just stick to tried and true characters where my nostalgia is strong and I know that they have resonated with me for a long time.

Back to the Droideka:

This will make a fine addition to my collection.
I feel the Droideka could be a quick seller locally if I'm NOT on top of this.

This is quite likely, yeah. This thread hasn't had a lot of traction, and the "pre-order hype" is now basically over. He's a bit of a niche character with little screen time, so it's not surprising.

I currently only have three figures on pre-order (2 sandtroopers and the new Darth Maul), and it's refreshing for my collection to receive a new character instead of upgrading an old one. He should also fit in well aesthetically.

Pondered it for a few minutes and wondered how I’d display more than one of these things in my already crowded TPM display/ then just went ahead and ordered two anyway.
It’s better to regret getting two down the line and have the option to sell and recoup the cost than to regret not getting two and have to face the struggle of finding one at a reasonable price after release.

Back