1/6th Scale Sideshow Boba Fett Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I certainly understand their concern for the possibility that I may turn the extra vest into profit or whatnot but it just seems extreme and I honestly feel bad doing this to the vest. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. :monkey2

Anyone ever receive a similar request from SSC?

I don't blame them.

With part-out dealers becoming a reasonably successful business model, the value of parts has greatly increased in recent years. Especially with something as 'valuable' as the vest, they can't just send it out for 'free'.

I'm sure they've seen an increase in replacement requests for "defective" helmets, armor and rifles over the years. ;)

And honestly, I doubt they have a surplus of 'replacement parts' available, and likely they have to break down saleable inventory to get replacement parts for all the pieces. They have to protect themselves from being taken advantage of.

So after having this guy since it shipped back in June/July (?) I noticed my vest had a small rip behind the right top armor piece so I emailed SSC to see what they could do.

Their great customer service quickly responded and informed me they were mailing me a new vest. However, they also included instructions for me to destroy my current vest, one I receive the new one, and that they wanted pics as proof otherwise I will be charged for the replacement.

I certainly understand their concern for the possibility that I may turn the extra vest into profit or whatnot but it just seems extreme and I honestly feel bad doing this to the vest. But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. :monkey2

Anyone ever receive a similar request from SSC?

All the time! Check some of the youtube videos of people destroying their 1:1 Iron Man busts and more!

boba10lowquality.png

LOVE THIS PICTURE!:clap

Just noticed a tiny detail in looking at a pic from ESB - why are the two larger tool thingies in SSC Boba's shin pockets so different in color from what the movie seems to show?

The comb thing in the movie has an obviously yellow stripe, but the SSC one has a red stripe. And the other three-pipe thingie seems like it's just silver in the movie and the SSC one has a stripes/tan color scheme?

Is this EU, they just look pretty clearly different from the movie? I seem to recall in the SW visual dictionaries they named those tools.

Well your in Australia....that explains everything. But I am glad your finally getting a Fett. You Australia SSC fans are sure dedicated to pay that kind of shipping I personally don't know if I would still be collecting 1/6 if I had to pay the shipping you do.

25-30 shipping to OZ aint that bad....

They're sandtroopers in the middle of being modded, but it would work for an ST too.

I repainted them pure white, but that was too white, so did a very watery greenish tan wash, that basically made the plastic a darker shade of white and matched the paint SSC used for the helmet (I didn't respray helmet or I'd lose the decals, so I just used tamiya paint thinner to strip the gunky weathering off) You can prob skip this with a stormtrooper, but for the sandies I needed rid of that factory weathering quick

Then I airbrushed it with thinned tamiya gloss in many layers to make it as shiney as possible.

The armour is actually on a tt slim also, as the SSC bodies are ungainly and proportionately weird with wide hips. If you wanna put a storm/sandtrooper on a tt slim its quite an operation as the body isn't as thin as an armour body, so if you want to know that part just ask.

I covered over the black forehead band on their helmets, and replaced it with a new, irregular one made from a piece of black fine line masking tape glued on (mimics the real rubber look at that scale) as in the movies none of their helmets have a straight brow like the ssc helmet

If you have a stormtrooper this is easy to do, its a bit tougher going from sandtrooper to this, but I want some perfect sandies (without abandoning these guys and buying marmit :lol )so this is the half way point

I have more pics and before/after pics in my custom thread, don't wanna photo spam with sandtroopers now lol

Instead of repainting the Sandtrooper, why didn't you just clean off the weathering?

Edeit - Here is one I started...I have yet to finish it, though.

Before:
DSC07040.jpg

After:
DSC07041.jpg

What is your method for removing the weathering, Darth Cruel? Would it take off the decals on the helmet too?

Instead of repainting the Sandtrooper, why didn't you just clean off the weathering?

Edeit - Here is one I started...I have yet to finish it, though.

Before:
DSC07040.jpg

After:
DSC07041.jpg

I could just say, instead of stripping off all the weathering, why not repaint? lol, stripping the helmet took long enough, I used paint thinner so I wouldnt harm the plastic - repainting the rest of the armour took 5 minutes, easiest repaint ever. The pics are in the trooper thread, as this is boba's!

I could just say, instead of stripping off all the weathering, why not repaint? lol, stripping the helmet took long enough, I used paint thinner so I wouldnt harm the plastic - repainting the rest of the armour took 5 minutes, easiest repaint ever. The pics are in the trooper thread, as this is boba's!

Well if you want the cleanest close up look possible stripping is the best option but if you don't really care about perfect lines painting is the trick.

All comes down to personnel preference. I know when I repaint figures/miniatures I strip the paint for the cleanest lines I can get but sometimes it can be a pain to do all that work just for a little bit of bonus.

I used an airbrush so it is a totally even surface, close up. I wouldn't strip sandie's armour as it would feel like punishment rubbing it with a little cotton wool bud all day - can't see anything wrong from the airbrushed surface, it isnt as if the weathering is a thick layer that sticks out when painted over

Haven't many close ups but here is the stripped helmet against painted armour
sandtrooper5lowqual.png

already started weathering them though, the 1 on the right is the cleanest.

best pic before smudges applied:

sandtrooper2lowqual.png

Helmet has been weathered, rest of the armour just had a light sand papering round the edges, but its all just a repaint over the weathering

Last edited:
I used an airbrush so it is a totally even surface, close up. I wouldn't strip sandie's armour as it would feel like punishment rubbing it with a little cotton wool bud all day - can't see anything wrong from the airbrushed surface, it isnt as if the weathering is a thick layer that sticks out when painted over

I have been needing to replace my airbrush lately due to it likes to gum up even though I clean it very well every time I am done. Should get right on that since I use it so much but ya airbrushing is great for even and perfect paint application.

The good thing is, for 1/6th, you can get TONS of mileage out of the cheapest badger one, the badger 250 - its just a spray gun basically, sucks paint up and shoots it out without spray cans. Super cheap and what I used (haven't found the need for 1mm spray lines so much in this scale :lol) The 250 is also indestructible, you only need to unclog the paint tube with a needle every now and then

It is personal preference, without a doubt. And yes, my stripping method does take a lot of time.

I do it because I simply prefer to not have a build up of layers of paint.

I use Easy Lift-Off and Q-Tips. BARELY wet the q-tips with the Easy Lift-Off and simply rub the weathering off the armor. It could be done faster, But I have to admit to enjoying going about it a little more slowly. Also, Barely wetting the Q-Tip allows you to get close to paint you don't want removed without slopping the Easy Lift-Off over.

Thats what I did for the helmets, used tamiya paint thinner which is basically alcohol and wasn't strong enough to lift the decals, but took the weathering off the helmet. Wasn't anything I wanted left on the armour lol I can't recommend spraying sandies enough, no sculpt detail is lost and nothing uneven is left, but if stripping is therapeutic then so be it (just so its on topic, Boba is scheduled for respray soon :horror )

I'm a little late to the party...
I gotta say... I am VERY disappointed in this figure...
I thought that maybe in hand, as it usually happens, all the panic and nit-picking would be just that...
But no... this figure is terrible... I gotta say this is one of SS's weakest SW recent releases :monkey2

I usually don't mind minor issues with my figures here and there, but man... anything from the chest plate, to the jumpsuit, the braids and the godawful "super-green" on the helmet seriously hurt this figure.
The only great thing form me on this guy are the gauntlets and jet pack. But man... what a disappointment... :(
Not sure if I want to go over all the trouble and money to "enhance" this guy...
Seriously, Medicom did a MUCH better job with BOTH their ESB Fett and ROTJ one...
Oh well...
I just hope the Tusken Raiders and Snowtroopers don't suffer the same fate as Boba :pray:

I'm so glad I cancelled the EX at the last minute!
We all thought this would be the awesomest Star Wars figure ever..

:gah::slap

All those Medicom apologists were right afterall.

If only Silent Surfer painted all of 'em :lol

I can see a side to the ROTJ medicom that is likeable over the ssc one, but the esb medi I think is a tad too dated - I know what you mean about the ssc boba - but it does make a good kit lol, the raw materials are there but ofc that isn't what you pay for. So many parts of it seem ill observed yet in a way its a higher quality release than other ones, so they did try hard for it. But for most people its just perfect so it isn't all gloom

Back