1/6th Scale Sideshow Boba Fett Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats Mr. Tanker.

Do a search. There have been posts detailing how to modify this figure for improved accuracy. Personally, I think it's fine out of the box. :rock

Also you can pull the wrist pegs out a bit, so they aren't in all the way and pull the gauntlets forward a bit to cover the pegs. That might give you a bit more poseability

I have the Marmit Fett as well, but this is the definitive Fett for me.

Medicom figures are just too small and something about the Medicom Fett looks "off" to me.

This is easily the best Sideshow figure I have ever bought.

Pantone is primarily used for print, but it is used as a color standard for lots of things, including paints and plastics.

I went back and checked, and according to "The Making of Empire Strikes Back" book, Joe Johnston painted the original Boba Fett outfit by hand. So it is doubtful that any color guide was made prior to that.

This is most likely a color guide made my Lucasfilm after the fact, and was probably given to Sideshow to be used in the making of the figure. As the licenser, Lucasfilm would have final say over the production of the figure and Sideshow may have had little say in the actual colors used.

Regardless of whether or not those are the correct screen colors of the original outfit, those are apparently what Lucasfilm has decided that they are now.

If that is true then how is it that Medicom used completely different colors and Hasbro yet even different colors and ALL are bound by LFL licensing approval?

It's most likely that Lucasfilm has different people handling licensing for different markets. Sideshow is a U.S. market while Medicom is a Japanese market.

The person (or persons) who handle approval for U.S. markets may simply be more picky. It has always been my understanding that Lucasfilm is very controlling when it comes to final approval.

The office that handles foreign licencing approval may be more lax.

If that is true then how is it that Medicom used completely different colors and Hasbro yet even different colors and ALL are bound by LFL licensing approval?

What the actual color was is immaterial. It's how it appears on screen that everyone remembers - i.e. paint it with the exact same pot of paint they used for the costume and fans will say it's wrong. A lot of the colors in ESB are heavily skewed too (Han's coat...) and quite a bit of the ESB Boba outfit doesn't exist any more so there is no actual physical reference. The ROTJ Fett costume is shown everywhere so there's a ton of ref, but ESB is sort of a mystery - even MR accidentally photographed a proto ESB helmet as ref for their replica, thinking it was the screen used one. Similar, but not the same.

But look at the difference between Hasbro and SS... or from the years of change in the 3 3/4" arena... and LF approved all those.

I think it has more to do with being able to make the best representation possible at the time that still allows the licensee to sell the figure within margin and pay LF their fee.

What the actual color was is immaterial. It's how it appears on screen that everyone remembers - i.e. paint it with the exact same pot of paint they used for the costume and fans will say it's wrong. A lot of the colors in ESB are heavily skewed too (Han's coat...) and quite a bit of the ESB Boba outfit doesn't exist any more so there is no actual physical reference. The ROTJ Fett costume is shown everywhere so there's a ton of ref, but ESB is sort of a mystery - even MR accidentally photographed a proto ESB helmet as ref for their replica, thinking it was the screen used one. Similar, but not the same.

Lucas has tinkered with the color correction so much since the original theatrical release. Boba now appears greener on the bluray release then he did on the DVD or laserdisc or VHS releases. At one point Luke's lightsaber in ANH even looked green on the DVD! Regardless, Sideshow's is way too green compared to the Medicom or Marmit.

Color nerd moment.

Some of the color discrepancies seem to stem from this Lucasfilm color guide to Fett's outfit:

BobaFettESBColors.jpg

I would assume that Sideshow used those Pantone color swatches to make this figure, but there are actually various categories of Pantone colors. The default is the Pantone Matching System (PMS), which is supposed to be their universal color space.

So the PMS colors, using those codes would be:
bobapms.jpg

But notice that the colors have have the "U" suffix, meaning "Uncoated", which would actually give you this:

bobauncoated.jpg

The uncoated versions are much more pale, but the PMS versions almost seem far too bright and intense. Honestly a lot of it has to do with the materials that the color is applied to. With the exception of the pale 491U Red, all the uncoated colors seem more film accurate.

Uncoated and coated Pantone print ink/refs are/were the same. One is glossy,
one isn't. They look different on screen because that is not a true indication of their true color. For example you used to be able to print a coated or uncoated color side by side, the only difference would be sheen or reflectivity. Colors with a gloss finish look much richer. Having said that those pantone swatches or tears that you have shown on that (very cool) ref are very old. I haven't seen those since my college days... Apart from Pantone graded inks none of that is accurate or specific from anything outside print work.

Yeah, like I said, I think those swatches were made well after the fact. And yes, both the PMS and Uncoated are the same colors, it just has to do with the material they are printed on. I have no clue why they used the Uncoated swatches.

I honestly wonder if the green on the figure was actually pulled from the Jedi Armor. The color correction on the Special Editions and Blu-Rays is awful, so it's hard to get a true sense of the actual colors, but aside from the red gauntlets, Fett's armor seems much more green in Jedi. In ESB it has much more desaturated look. (It's actually why I hate the Jedi outfit.)

Colors aside, I ended up very happy with mine and am looking forward to them doing a ROTJ version. With them recently losing some paint talent, I really hope whoever does it uses the original hlem that looks like its got the claw marks across it and not the stuntman or reshoot ESB helmets.

Just saw this. Looks like it would make a good substitute for the SSC Boba Fett helmet. Also noticed that SSC copied the Tomy mold when they released the Jango helmet exclusive that came with Mace Windu.

$T2eC16FHJIQE9qUHrisZBQOU!Vw0hQ~~60_3.JPG

$T2eC16N,!ykE9s7tvVDiBQOU!UJ)Rw~~60_3.JPG

Someday, I'm going to buckle and purchase this bad boy.
The only thing holding me back right now is all the other stuff that I need to get first.

That TOMY helmet looks too small...

It is. That pic doesn't quite show it clearly. Most of the Tomys are a little undersized (1/7 maybe.)

The weathering on the Tomy is pretty average too (even though the green color is there) Vs. the spectacular SSC weathering. The Tomy sort has an "attacked with a brillo pad" look as opposed to SSC's precise match of every scrape.

Back