1/6th Scale Sideshow Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obiwan shows the kind of change that's typical in the industry. They also have plenty of examples that are close matches to their promos shots, troopers and tusken among them in the SW line, not to mention Bossk and Fett.

And if you frequent the various HT threads you will see precisely the same arguments there. Old news, not worth discussing. Again.

Obiwan shows the kind of change that's typical in the industry. They also have plenty of examples that are close matches to their promos shots, troopers and tusken among them in the SW line, not to mention Bossk and Fett.

And if you frequent the various HT threads you will see precisely the same arguments there. Old news, not worth discussing. Again.
Come on, you want specifics - then you justify the example given? :lol

All these thread discussions are circular anyway.. you should know that.

The SSC Fett is a disappointment - the con pics were promising, then that went out the window upon release - don't agree with you at all. I have issues with the Bossk too, but - ehh.. whatever.

The TPM Obi-wan though has other issues besides the heads. The terrible looking neck & the iffy lightsaber arm / mechanism are disappointments too.

Plus the bodies on the ss are still subpar IMO. The Tt body stomps the pro.

There's no argument that Hot Toys makes the best body in the industry. They also have some nasty completely inaccurate sculpts and some really odd proportion issues on some figures.

But this discussion started along the lines of pre-production image and prototype differences when compared to the production figures. We'll see. Maybe I haven't looked closely enough at all of Sideshow's releases, but the ones I mentioned look like great matches between proto images and final production "in-hand" customer examples, including ones I have myself. In this way, they have been pretty much on par with Hot Toys for many releases - producing in volume what they've shown in prototype form. There are always exceptions, but these occur across the board, not just with Sideshow.

Besides, Sidehow can slip in production with this Luke HS and still be on par with Hot Toys DX07. The proto shown at SDCC blows DX07's sculpt out of the water. And yes, I have that in-hand and see it each and every day, standing about 3 feet from my desk.

Bottom line is I want these figures, but I won't be in any hurry to pre-order them - I'm confident they'll all still be available after they start shipping. I'm not too concerned about getting an exclusive which would more than likely be the first to go anyway. Though if I did get that Blue Han jacket, I could probably sell it to pay for a Dewback. ;)

The proto shown at SDCC blows DX07's sculpt out of the water. And yes, I have that in-hand and see it each and every day, standing about 3 feet from my desk.
I agree - it's a better likeness, for sure. :)

The DX07 set - overall, is excellent - both value & attention to detail wise, & I think we'd be in agreement there. Granted the faces aren't spot on, but the portraits are quite realistic, & that's something that we're yet to see SSC nail with their final release SW human figures.

The DX07 set - overall, is excellent - both value & attention to detail wise, & I think we'd be in agreement there. Granted the faces aren't spot on, but the portraits are quite realistic, & that's something that we're yet to see SSC nail with their final release SW human figures.

Yup, I agree on all counts. I'm eager to see the final results of the new figures based on the comments Sideshow has made about their production process and the work they're doing on other lines at the same time.

I've dedicated two different display areas to DX07, so I definitely like it a lot. Ok, one of them is a ceiling area that wouldn't be used for anything else and the other will be shared with the SSC Vader come February/March (just in case it's late). But still, I'm displaying all the main parts of that set, both figures plus the weather vane.

I have never seen a Sideshow piece whose paint apps can match a typical Hot Toys release, figure or statue. Last figures from SSC I've had were some Joes from last year.

I just read up on facebook that Lalla has joined SS. That definitely has to mean good news, not that he's the paint master for these but definitely a win for future releases.

If anyone wants to see what Hot Toys own progression looked like with regards to paint… See every MMS release here: https://www.hottoyscollecting.com/movie-masterpiece That doesn't include a number of older non-licensed releases like the Firefighters (v1 or 2)

Then compare that to Sideshow's progression if you want to be fair.

Last edited:
Yeah, the early HT stuff was funny; the first Terminator / Alien figures, the few military figures they did, the Rocky / Rambo figures, & the Routh Superman - the difference is, where HT made the leap they did between 2005 & 2008/09, SSC was still miles behind at that point.

Compare HT' Bank Robber Joker to any of SSC's SW figures around that time.. it speaks volumes.

What was the last figure SS released that was based off an actor? Was it the Ep I Obi Wan? I didn't pick that one up, but the paint apps in pics I saw did seem to be better than what their previous efforts had been, but till not HT level by any stretch of the imagination.

Right, I never said that Sideshow marched in time with Hot Toys, but that like Hot Toys, have been progressing over the past few years and this year have really stepped up their game in a big way.

HT still also produces some decently painted but terribly off in likeness sculpts, so they're not without fault either. Latest Wolverine, Tony Stark, General Zod to name just three.

HT still also produces some decently painted but terribly off in likeness sculpts, so they're not without fault either. Latest Wolverine, Tony Stark, General Zod to name just three.
Yeah, I'm not disputing that. The discussion seems to be flipping between facial likeness & overall quality comparison between companies, but you do see glimpses of excellence with SSC - it's obviously not all catch up with them.

Again though - regardless of likeness accuracy or lack thereof on occasion, HT has the realism part of their product down, generally speaking. SSC's Joe figures really, are better examples of what they're capable of from what I've seen - but they're not based on actual actors for the most part are they? I'm not a Joe aficionado, so feel free to correct me..

Back