12" Sideshow Henry Jones Sr

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 12" Sideshow Henry Jones

I'm new to this board but it seems like doing repaints on SS's figures is the norm with much of the Freaks community. I am just curious if Hot Toys got the license to Indiana Jones and say Star Wars would you continue to buy the same figures by SS. I am wondering if it's the futzing and repainting that's the thrill or do you prefer a more perfect paint app and figure that requires only viewing enjoyment. I pretty much take whatever I get.

I pretty much take whatever I get.

Yeah, I have never gotten a repaint and never will. For me 99% of these are close enough that a $60 (or whatever) repaint itsn't going to make enough of a difference for me.

I'm new to this board but it seems like doing repaints on SS's figures is the norm with much of the Freaks community. I am just curious if Hot Toys got the license to Indiana Jones and say Star Wars would you continue to buy the same figures by SS. I am wondering if it's the futzing and repainting that's the thrill or do you prefer a more perfect paint app and figure that requires only viewing enjoyment. I pretty much take whatever I get.

No, it's not the norm. Some figures might be improved a bit by a repaint, but the majority are fine just as they come out of the box.

Dave's right.

We've just got a strong customizing group here. :D

I am wondering if it's the futzing and repainting that's the thrill

It's the Eye of the Tiger. It's the thrill of the futz...

I'd say futzing is the allure of 1/6 over statues and PFs. Most statue pieces that have cloth can only be adjusted so much.

I love that with 1/6 figures, you can tweak with the elements to define it as your figure, rather than looking exactly like everyone elses.

When I pay $100 or more for a 1/6 my preference is to not have to spend more $$ or time to get it to look the way it should have out of the box.

Yeah, I have never gotten a repaint and never will. For me 99% of these are close enough that a $60 (or whatever) repaint itsn't going to make enough of a difference for me.

I kind of agree with Darth Madden and IrishJedi, but I think I understand now where you guys are coming from that invest more. A lot of you are really artistic in your own right and so your satisfying that urge. Others are Futzey and so you have to tweak. But I guess your all just trying to achieve total figure nirvana.

Maul Fan congrats on winning the Star Wars Fantacular Photo contest ! Your winning submission was my favorite. I had a few submissions myself it was a lot of fun .

When I pay $100 or more for a 1/6 my preference is to not have to spend more $$ or time to get it to look the way it should have out of the box.

I agree completely although sometimes when its something that no other company has made or the best of the bunch but still with minor problems... if I'm a big enough fan I'll buy it anyway.

I usually enjoy the whole customizing aspect of it anyway.
It makes the figure feel more unique.

Sideshow have done an excellent job with this figure either way.

I kind of agree with Darth Madden and IrishJedi, but I think I understand now where you guys are coming from that invest more. A lot of you are really artistic in your own right and so your satisfying that urge. Others are Futzey and so you have to tweak. But I guess your all just trying to achieve total figure nirvana.

Maul Fan congrats on winning the Star Wars Fantacular Photo contest ! Your winning submission was my favorite. I had a few submissions myself it was a lot of fun .

You won the contest Maulfan ?. Congrats man. :D

When I thought this figure might have been coming, i had absolutely NO interest in getting it... I mean, I loved the character in the film, and the relationship between him and junior was great to watch... but as a figure? nah... I had my Indy and his Idol plynth, and thats all i needed.

But now after seeing how GREAT this has turned out? damn.... I'm so tempted.

Trevor is Sideshow's Yulli :rock :bow :rock

I wouldn't say that repainting is the norm, but it's not unusual either. What you seem to be asking is if people would actually prefer substandard paint jobs because it allows them to repaint the figures. I can't speak for everyone, but I personally I think you'd have to be crazy to want that, unless it allowed the figures to be drastically cheaper or something (and that is no longer the case with Sideshow stuff). I would much prefer that every figure turned out perfectly. There would still be any number of custom projects that you could use your creative skills on.

Nearly every Sideshow figure that i've seen released has been repainted, even Ep 4 Obi & Clone Obi which were pretty fine "out of the box" got reworked. Sideshow are slowly but surely creeping up to Hot toys prices but the quality is nowhere near as good (you don't see many HT customs) + being in the UK i could get an Enterbay Jack Bauer (if i didn't already have one) shipped from Honk Kong for around the same price - another figure that needs no "work" to make it look better.
In the end most figures live or die by their head sculpts/paint apps, Trevors sculpts on his Star Wars & Indy characters has been just as good if not better than most things from Enterbay/HT's sculptors, it's just poor that Sideshow don't do his work justice with good paint/clothing/accessories but still charge top dollar for their figures.
These are the reasons the quality of Henry's paint/Body/outfit will be rubbish when compared to the amount being charged - history dictates that it'll suck/cost too much !

I think opinions vary. I'm certain that if you compared the amount of customs to the amount of figures left stock, the customs would be in the minority. As far as paints, I've gotten lazy-eyed figures from just about everybody which is even more inexcusable at the higher price points. In the end, it's just a matter of personal taste.

I wouldn't say that repainting is the norm, but it's not unusual either. What you seem to be asking is if people would actually prefer substandard paint jobs because it allows them to repaint the figures. I can't speak for everyone, but I personally I think you'd have to be crazy to want that, unless it allowed the figures to be drastically cheaper or something (and that is no longer the case with Sideshow stuff). I would much prefer that every figure turned out perfectly. There would still be any number of custom projects that you could use your creative skills on.

True, but I noticed as in this case with the recently announced SS Henry Jones figure. Everyone was already planning repaints talking of sending out for commission work or improving on it themselves with the final production version far away. But they felt from experience with past SS figures that the final version would need this work. But don't get me wrong, they were actually very excited about the figure and quite happy that SS produced it. I was looking at this more like a negative than a positive. But it just got me thinking about a few of the other caveat 1/6th figures. As someone else mentioned I see much fewer repaints on Hot Toys figures and even fewer on Enterbay Bruce Lee. With Enterbay Jack i've only seen a few bashes by way of changing his clothing. So maybe imperfection has a lot more flavor than what we give it credit for. But it is about taste and artistic ability. I love all the customized figures that I am seeing on the board and the many personalities within the community also. But if you wanna see my SS figures, of which I have many, well they look just like they did out of the box.

True, but I noticed as in this case with the recently announced SS Henry Jones figure. Everyone was already planning repaints talking of sending out for commission work or improving on it themselves with the final production version far away. But they felt from experience with past SS figures that the final version would need this work. But don't get me wrong, they were actually very excited about the figure and quite happy that SS produced it. I was looking at this more like a negative than a positive. But it just got me thinking about a few of the other caveat 1/6th figures. As someone else mentioned I see much fewer repaints on Hot Toys figures and even fewer on Enterbay Bruce Lee. With Enterbay Jack i've only seen a few bashes by way of changing his clothing. So maybe imperfection has a lot more flavor than what we give it credit for. But it is about taste and artistic ability. I love all the customized figures that I am seeing on the board and the many personalities within the community also. But if you wanna see my SS figures, of which I have many, well they look just like they did out of the box.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. :D

Amen. None of these figures HAVE to be repainted. Most of us just like to take them as far as we can. This is the Sideshow FREAKS forum after all. I own at least twenty Sideshow figures and only one has been repainted.

True, but I noticed as in this case with the recently announced SS Henry Jones figure. Everyone was already planning repaints talking of sending out for commission work or improving on it themselves with the final production version far away....But it is about taste and artistic ability. I love all the customized figures that I am seeing on the board and the many personalities within the community also. But if you wanna see my SS figures, of which I have many, well they look just like they did out of the box.

Amen. None of these figures HAVE to be repainted. Most of us just like to take them as far as we can. This is the Sideshow FREAKS forum after all. I own at least twenty Sideshow figures and only one has been repainted.

I'm totally with you guys, the factory apps are just fine as is for the most part, but I'm one of the 'repaint' crowd. I always like to do anything and everything I can to make my figures look more 'authentic' and 'screen accurate'...like little museum quality replicas. It's just how I roll. To me, It gives everything that 'WOW' factor beyond just getting a factory version of a figure, and makes mine unique compared to everyone elses, so it's a 'one-of-a-kind' piece. It goes beyond repaints too, like getting Mike Fisher's custom Indy belts and holsters, or Ryan's Rick Deckard attire. Add some custom and environment bases and voila! A little museum quality piece of your favorite characters from your favorite films.

That's why I love that SS added the idol pedestal environment with Belloq and the Ark with Toht. Hope we get to see more of that as those additions really enhance the display possibilities and people won't look at these like Hasbro 12" dolls, but more like high-quality display pieces lifted directly from the movie scene.

WOW indeed!

:D

Back