Anakin Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pjam said:
I think some "complainers" are simply hoping they will receive a figure which matches the one they ordered (proto pic) as we did with Luke. I, for one, am not complaining about the quality of product Sideshow is putting out, I am asking SSC to be more consistent with their paint apps at the production level, and I'm sure some at SSC are asking the same thing.

I don't think consistency is a problem. The problem is with production design decisions. Someone chose dark red glossy paint for the lips. Someone decided to have only a portion of the lower lip painted. The eyebrows and hair were painted with a darker brown, making the eyebrows appear excessively bushy. The whites of the eyes were darkened. The skin tone was changed.

All these features are consistent across all the production pics we have seen of Anakin. It is not a question of painting skill or simplification during the production process, but a matter of what colors are choosen and how each feature is painted.

The few touch-ups Tyrannus made in photoshop show us just how close Sideshow was to perfection...and yet how drastically different these two portraits look, just because of some design decisions on the eyebrows, eyes, and lips.

Anakin-refined.jpg

Last edited:
Justin, don't forget the chin. Tyrannus made 2 key photoshop changes to the original sculpt: softening the eyebrows and making the chin smaller. Both of these, imho, resulted in a scult that looks MUCH more like Hayden Christensen.

For the record, I'm still pleased with how this figure turned out. But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be happier had it looked more like Tyrannus' refined version.

You're right IrishJedi. The narrowed chin does help bring out his likeness. But the modified paint application still would have taken the resemblance a long way. CustomMikey, are you up to the challenge?:D

miles you have nothing to apologize for. Nothing wrong with voicing what you don't like in a constructive manner which you seem to do very well.

IrishJedi said:
For the record, I'm still pleased with how this figure turned out. But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be happier had it looked more like Tyrannus' refined version.

I don't like the lips in Tyrannus' version either. They still look off to me.

That I would agree with.

From a poster at RS: To me this prooves seeing it in person makes all the difference.

Amir said:
Tonight I was able to hold Anakin in my own hands and the lasting impression (from my all too brief encounter with him in my eyes, nearly one hour) these two words come to mind: astoundingly breathtaking! I instantaneously feel in love with this figure as I held him in my hands. What can I say the sculpt is dead-on Anakin Skywalker, the clothing is a work of wonder, and the accessories are top-notch. I was very impressed with mechanical hand. At pre-order time I wasn't totally satisfied paying the extra 5 dollars more because of the hand, but let me tell you it was totally worth it! Once again the detail is great on Anakin and the pictures do not do it justice whatsoever.

Now going back to the head sculpt, it looks like SS Shrunk down Hayden Christensen at the same exact time he was playing Anakin Skywalker in ROTS and then boxed him up. The head detail from the minor wrinkles, scar, eyes, nose, hair, etc...look so much better in person than the photo's we see so often online. The skin tones are very similar to Luke, very natural looking. The eyes in my opinion have the right amount of gloss. The eye brows and hair color are darker than the TF pictures. But when you're looking at the figure in your hand, it really does not detract from the overall impression that you are looking at Anakin Skywalker. Last but not least the lips. They are overly glossed that is for sure and the color is also darker than the TF pics just like the hair and eyebrows. The color of the lips in person is more in tone with SS Slave Taylor figure's lip color except with a heck of a lot more gloss on them. I think this must have been a factory oversight, I can't imagine Sideshow wanting the lips to be that glossy. As I was holding the figure looking at the lips I remembered that there are some tricks to taking away gloss without altering paint. I remember On-set if something is too shiny there are a number of ways to dull a subject up, like Dave mentioned earlier plumbers puddy can work well. That would fix the over-glossiness of the lips without any need for paint alteration or artist background.

Now the costume is just extraordinary, so many layers and fine detail OH MY! The costume by itself I would say is worth $54.99 that's how great it is. I guess I really don't have to get too much into the details because I think everyone can agree from the pictures the costume is spectacular.
So if I had to give Anakin a score from 1-10, 10 being perfect, looking at the whole package: Head Sculpt, Paint, Costume, Accessories he would come out as a 10 on the scale. Getting specific to the paint application, I would say a 9 just because of the glossy lips. The darker hair color to me really does not take away anything from the figure's representation of the Anakin Skywalker character. But the glossiness on the lips is quite high so that bugs me and that is the main reason I score the paint a 9. All the other categories considering the 54.99 price tag we all paid gets high 10's.

As I was driving away from Dave's house I really started to miss Anakin a lot. I was very tempted to turn around and go back to Dave's and play around with Anakin some more, but alas I had some work to attend to that could not be put off. But as I was driving away it really sank in how great of an action figure Anakin truly is and I think most everyone will be truly happy with what they get.

See this is what I'm talking about seeing these in person makes a hell of a difference.

Thread with some really good pics of Anakin

IrishJedi said:
Well, if they were slightly less red and more pink they would be pretty close to HC's:

anakin_tyrannusrefined.jpg

I do like Tyrannus's touch ups. The narrowed chin looks really nice. I have done some customizing with Game Workshops LOTR miniatures, but I would not have the guts to customize Anakin even though I have both reg and ex ordered. The new pics at RS look nice and I am feeling alot better about this figure...but I have to admit I was really worried at first. SS is my favorite company but there have been a few paint issues. It must be truly be frustrating for them. You can tell from their communications on the boards that they really do care about producing quality.

I don't think anyone made a decision to paint only part of the lips. I think that was just a production error. The others I'm not too sure what happened with them.

We all know here at least SS cares and probably is unhappy with some of the issues brought up here by everyone. Which is why IMO they are the best around they care as much as we do.:chew

JustinLuck said:
I don't think consistency is a problem. The problem is with production design decisions. Someone chose dark red glossy paint for the lips. Someone decided to have only a portion of the lower lip painted. The eyebrows and hair were painted with a darker brown, making the eyebrows appear excessively bushy. The whites of the eyes were darkened. The skin tone was changed.

All these features are consistent across all the production pics we have seen of Anakin. It is not a question of painting skill or simplification during the production process, but a matter of what colors are choosen and how each feature is painted.

The few touch-ups Tyrannus made in photoshop show us just how close Sideshow was to perfection...and yet how drastically different these two portraits look, just because of some design decisions on the eyebrows, eyes, and lips.

Anakin-refined.jpg

I think we are saying the same thing JL, Paint apps at the production level means everything involved in the process. Andy B's sculpt is phenomenal nonetheless and my point is simply for SSC to please be consistent as they were with Luke. And that may involve a little more management oversight at the production level, in this case paint apps.

Last edited:
Amir said:
Tonight I was able to hold Anakin in my own hands and the lasting impression (from my all too brief encounter with him in my eyes, nearly one hour) these two words come to mind: astoundingly breathtaking! I instantaneously feel in love with this figure as I held him in my hands...

Hold me... ...like you did by the lake on Naboo, so long ago... ...when there was nothing but our love... ...No politics, no plotting... ...no war.

Fritz said:
Hold me... ...like you did by the lake on Naboo, so long ago... ...when there was nothing but our love... ...No politics, no plotting... ...no war.
:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Fritz said:
The Emperor knew, as did Yoda, that if Anakin Skywalker were to have any lipstick, it could destroy him. That is why up until now, production pics have remained safely...anonymous.

Khev said:
The Emperor knew, as did Yoda, that if Anakin Skywalker were to have any lipstick, it could destroy him. That is why up until now, production pics have remained safely...anonymous.
:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

Dude.... I have tears in my eyes...

jlcmsu said:
Good. Hopefully, I get a notice tonight. :)

I hope so too.

You may recall it was Tom, Wor-gar and Me who were right with you as you posted the very first Luke pics and started the Luke Image thread. :D

That's right. I look forward to that happening again.

This is the fun part. The anticipation. I kinda like seeing some pictures of other figures before I get mine. Gets me amped.

Back