ASMUS TOYS : Aragorn @ The Battle of Helm's Deep

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna be in the minority here, but I like what I see to be honest. I will wait out on a PO all the same, but I still like it.

For the Tolkien aficionados, couldn't you remove the chainmail and Boromir's vambraces, add a Lorthlorien cloak, and have a Amon Hen Aragorn too? I think the undershirt might have to be a different color as well then.

Good idea.. He gets a replacement undershirt in Rohan which is that burgundy red color. If you replace that with the original color undershirt, that would seal the amon hen look!

Damn, the reveal of this did not go down well at all over on social media. I mean, I think the sculpt is decent enough but now we've seen the price of each version, I am tempted to hold off to try and pick up the clean head from Ebay or wherever as can live without the base. There's a lot to like on this figure, (new vest, chainmail and correct detailing on the red shirt) but some frustrating parts too.

It's good that the boots are two piece but I really wish they had used a new sculpt for the boots instead of the naff Slim version. They are just too thin and the folded part should be so much thicker like it is in the movies. It makes his legs look like pencils [emoji28]. Also, please, please, PLEASE add the correct sword hangers to match the belt or the scabbard just flops about.

It may seem like minor things to some but I guarantee if included, will make this figure way nicer.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Never seen an Asmus in person before so no idea of the quality. I'm used to Hot Toys personally. I saw this was going to be announced, the Two Towers is my favourite and I love Aragorn, I was really interested to get it but yikes. That portrait is not good. In a way I'm happy as I don't want to get dragged into the LoTR lines, that's a rabbit hole deeper than Star Wars.

I don't want to get dragged into the LoTR lines, that's a rabbit hole deeper than Star Wars.
I can appreciate the sentiment, but there’s no way LOTR/Hobbit merchandise will ever be “a rabbit hole deeper than Star Wars”. :lol

I think Mr. ASMUS made a mistake this time: price does not match the product. I would had purchased it simply because of the head and diorama, but nearly 300 USD for that does not seem realistic: a re-use of many parts, no clothed boots, and (let's admit it) a cheap-looking chain mail... Greedy breaks the sack. I will stick to the first release of the character, the best version of Arathorn's son without any doubt.

I agree the price for the exclusive is high but the $195 shipped from Asmus for the regular is low for the 1/6 market in my opinion. Hot Toys and Sideshow basic figures are in the $200s and probably have much higher figure runs. Granted the regular one doesn’t come with much but it is a complicated outfit when you throw in the chain mail which I think they newly developed for this figure. Compare it to the price of Bespin Leia who has a less complicated outfit and comes with less accessories. To each his own but I am liking this release at this point.

Some time ago I bought a replacement chainmail for Gimli (a Coomodel one, I think) and if I am not mistaken is very similiar to one we would be getting with this Aragorn. I never used it, as it does not look realistic to my eyes. Recent chainmails such as Eomer's and Elrond's look better in my opinion. If the point about owing a Helm's Deep Aragon is in part the chainmail, then they are missing it. A (realistically speaking) bit more expensive for a real chainmail, I would buy it though indeed...
Anyway, to annouce such an expensive exclusive version in the announcements week par excellence doesn't seem very smart from their side, as people are now deciding where to put the money for the coming months, and I am afraid that might not be the chosen one.

Unfortunately I am still not feeling the likeness on this one. I know Viggo is a hard one to capture and SHAND sculptor does incredible work. I think adding the expression to it made the likeness less present. I think I saw much earlier attempts by Shand that were closer than what is represented in the final piece.

Has anyone had success pre-ordering using PayPal?
It says it’s an option, but when I get to “Payment”, “Credit Card“ is already preselected with no other option.

Has anyone had success pre-ordering using PayPal?
It says it’s an option, but when I get to “Payment”, “Credit Card“ is already preselected with no other option.

It seems paypal wasn't an option because I wanted to use it.

Unfortunately I am still not feeling the likeness on this one. I know Viggo is a hard one to capture and SHAND sculptor does incredible work. I think adding the expression to it made the likeness less present. I think I saw much earlier attempts by Shand that were closer than what is represented in the final piece.

Shand has as Aragorn on his FB photos that I absolutely love. Why Asmus didn’t release that as is is maddening. It literally makes me angry they have such a great sculpt and they choose to release this.

I can appreciate the sentiment, but there?s no way LOTR/Hobbit merchandise will ever be ?a rabbit hole deeper than Star Wars?. :lol

Personally it is for me. I could never want all of the random aliens or a lot of the side characters or the main characters in every uniform. But Theoden, Eomer, Borimir, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf the White, Sauron, Uruk hai, Orcs, Elrond, the Elves in various outfits they appear in I would very much want.

From Star Wars, Anakin Skywalker Ep 3, Darth Vader, a Luke Speeder or Bespin will do for me, there's others I'd like to have but I'd easily be able to say no. I think as soon as I got one LotR character I'd want the lot.

I agree the price for the exclusive is high but the $195 shipped from Asmus for the regular is low for the 1/6 market in my opinion. Hot Toys and Sideshow basic figures are in the $200s and probably have much higher figure runs. Granted the regular one doesn?t come with much but it is a complicated outfit when you throw in the chain mail which I think they newly developed for this figure. Compare it to the price of Bespin Leia who has a less complicated outfit and comes with less accessories. To each his own but I am liking this release at this point.

The price is reflected in the QC and service though. Whilst I've had a few QC issues with HT in the past they've been very minor e.g. minor paint misapplications or parts that weren't fitted properly e.g. a lightsaber blade that was jammed too tightly in the hilt that it was impossible to remove. I've also bought dozens of HT figures so the overall percentage of problems has been low and it seems retailers have no issue getting HT to provide replacement parts etc.

In contrast I've got 7 Asmus figures, Elrond (brilliant figure), Eomer, Theoden, Gimli, Thorin, Legolas and Frodo and have had major QC issues with the last two. Frodo's head was completely detached from the neck piece that inserts into his torso. I had to use adhesive to reattach. Legolas' neck had a chunk of rubber missing and the top looked as though it had been shredded.

Asmus didn't have a replacement body for Legolas and refused to offer any partial refund. So yeah the price reflects the QC and service and that's why they have no business charging 250+ prices like HT IMO.

Personally it is for me. I could never want all of the random aliens or a lot of the side characters or the main characters in every uniform. But Theoden, Eomer, Borimir, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf the White, Sauron, Uruk hai, Orcs, Elrond, the Elves in various outfits they appear in I would very much want.

From Star Wars, Anakin Skywalker Ep 3, Darth Vader, a Luke Speeder or Bespin will do for me, there's others I'd like to have but I'd easily be able to say no. I think as soon as I got one LotR character I'd want the lot.

Ah, got it, now I get what you’re saying. I’m the same way; while I can easily pass on ancillary figures from other lines, I’m a completist with LOTR/Hobbit. In fact, other than a few one-offs here and there, that’s all I collect now.

Back