Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my Sam at work. Have not had a chance to look at it. Will not be able to take pics as we now have a no cell phone policy at work.

ETA Had a chance to take a peak. Sad to say a very weak likeness. One of their worse I'm afraid. Bummer as Merry, Pippen, and now Frodo look really good. Everything else looks as good as expected just the likeness is off.

Last edited:
My Sam arrived..

CIMG4601.JPG

CIMG4622.JPG

Hmm, Sam's head looks too big for the body. Is the body padded at all? Looks like it would benefit from a bit of extra stuffing if so.

Maybe Sam’s new sculpt is why Pippin is laughing?

I will withhold my judgement to when I have him in hand. From certain angles the original one looks pretty good in person to me so I guess I have a backup in place but I will be pretty upset if I spent money on this one only to use the original one.

Got my Sam at work. Have not had a chance to look at it. Will not be able to take pics as we now have a no cell phone policy at work.

ETA Had a chance to take a peak. Sad to say a very weak likeness. One of their worse I'm afraid. Bummer as Merry, Pippen, and now Frodo look really good. Everything else looks as good as expected just the likeness is off.
It's better than the first release would you say?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Maybe Sam’s new sculpt is why Pippin is laughing?

I will withhold my judgement to when I have him in hand. From certain angles the original one looks pretty good in person to me so I guess I have a backup in place but I will be pretty upset if I spent money on this one only to use the original one.

I'm upgrading from Sideshow's version, so even if the sculpt isn't super accurate, all the rest will be a huge improvement.

Frodo will be my first Asmus purchase since the Witch King... which I sold years ago.

Hope they can keep the quality up for their Bilbo release.

My Samwise arrived today! Not bad delivery time considering I opted for standard postage to Australia.
Initial thoughts....he’s pretty good! Not the “WOW” factor of the Ghostbusters (but really, not much else can elicit that sort of reaction after getting those).
The head had popped off the neck connector during transit, so I’ll have to glue that back on.
The sculpt is a bit of an enigma. Some angles and lighting bring out Sean Astin and he looks awesome, then move him around and it gets lost. Getting a good pic will be tricky!
The tailoring is really nice and the accessories are good. The body feels sturdy and the hairy feet are terrific.
I think he will benefit greatly from being posed with Frodo.
Anyway, in hand he’s really good (as is the case with most figures). I’m liking him more and more after having him out of the box for a couple of hours.
Here’s a couple of quick iPhone shots on my desk where the lighting seems most kind to him at the moment.
85bbd109c4e3049a8fd265191d872541.jpg
11babb3b400d4f5eed4048d7797b3b6f.jpg
2114c83cad8a6cd371082283dc9b12fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can definitely see the actor there.

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk

Looks good in your pics, Sixth Scale Man.

Thanks everyone. He’s not super photogenic. It was a roller-coaster of responses to him when I was unboxing, like “oh cool, uh....hmm, oh right! Nice, wait...oh, there he is”.[emoji3]
Ultimately, I’m glad I picked him up. He’s my first Asmus figure and I will round out my LOTR collection with Frodo and the new Gandalf. I’d love to get the Fellowship but there’s too much coming out this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back