Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it hard to believe that they'll release all 9 fellowship members by December 31st. Unless they have a lot of behind the scenes action going on and literally plan dole out one fellowship figure every month starting July, for near immediate purchase, I don't know how it's going to work. Not that it's a big deal if they don't, I would rather them not rush anything to meet that goal. Plus they've taken on more licenses now too.

GTW, Eowyn, Gothmog, Guritz, Tauriel, Bard, MOS, Morgul Lord, Sauron, Grishnakh, several horses, all very nice figures, but by now the fellowship would be complete if not for these, thats a bit annoying

I think they were trying to get better at making figures before making the fellowship or other important characters. I believe thats the reason for the less important chatacters that came out first. Asmus made a remark about this a while back.

Gandalf the grey is a major LOTR character. I don't mind waiting a little more.

I find it hard to believe that they'll release all 9 fellowship members by December 31st. Unless they have a lot of behind the scenes action going on and literally plan dole out one fellowship figure every month starting July, for near immediate purchase, I don't know how it's going to work. Not that it's a big deal if they don't, I would rather them not rush anything to meet that goal. Plus they've taken on more licenses now too.

Yeah, they only have to do... um... five more members. :lol :rolleyes2

They may have them all announced by then if they've been really working behind the scenes, but they surely wouldn't be able to have them all released and shipping in that time without the quality going to ****.

Yeah, no chance they'll have them all ready to ship this year, but I don't think it's totally beyond hope that they might all be shown by then. (Remember, they showed sculpts for Boromir, Frodo, Sam and Legolas ages ago. So I assume they're much further along on those designs by now.) Still it would be a VERY tall order. Maybe they just mean they'll be mostly prototyped by then. As for how long it takes to get them produced and distributed, that's another matter. I'm not expecting a full Fellowship until mid to late next year.

And for the record, I don't believe Gandalf will ship in August. That's just when my last Flex payment with Sideshow is scheduled. So far almost every single one of these figures have overshot their initial shipping estimates by anywhere from three to eight months. At least the ones ordered through Sideshow. That said, I'm happy to wait for Gandalf. Especially if they're still tweaking.

The practice of tweaking the sculpts may come to a stop, what ya see is what ya get, due to time constraints.

GtG and Boromir are the only fellowship characters I'm looking to purchase, I'm more of a bad guy collector with the exception of some excellent good guys like GtG that are such great characters they are a must for my collection. I hope for all of you that want the full fellowship, Asmus can not only deliver the products, but of exceptional quality as well. I wonder if they just aren't showing how much work is in the pipeline that's almost ready for production.

First glance of the factory's painted sample.
What do you think?

PS:Hair is not final.

13442358_10153487036506968_4345884941483865897_n.jpg

Obviously not ideal lighting but this looks even worse than the initial over-detailed pics IMO. Right side of the face looks squished. Bummer.

It's not bad but the beard is a bit too brown looking, at least in this pic.

When I see final pics of him hatted I might cave just because I love GTG so much. And I do want Asmus to succeed and continue.

On a positive note I will say the paint/sculpt does look very realistic and fleshy.

Obviously not ideal lighting but this looks even worse than the initial over-detailed pics IMO. Right side of the face looks squished. Bummer.

It's the smartphone lens doing a lot (but not all) of that squishing. They're pretty wide lenses, so foreshortening is exaggerated.

Back