Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the same story as reviews.

People who love an item will review it ecstatically.
People who hate an item will review it vehemently.
People who are just happy with an item are much less likely to give a review at all.

It's very hard to find pure, objective reviews these days. That's one of the reasons I hold Michael Crawford's work in such high regard.

Thank you very much, DioramaMaker! I try my best.

Nope, not yet. Should be soon though...

giphy.gif

What are we looking a here? A prototype?

New to the this thread as I am considering getting this figure. I collect mostly Star Wars and Marvel when it comes to 1/6 figures, but a Gandalf figure would be great to go with my shelf with my Tolkien books and movies. Because I have other high quality figures in my office I would like a Gandalf figure to be able to hold its own with the others. The pictures of the pro-type on the Sideshow page (like the one below) look awesome. But I would love to know what it actually will look like. The real hair makes me nervous, not that I am against the idea in principle, but it needs to be done well and I do worry about it looking disconnected and to different from the beard. But it does look good on the pics where you can order it from Sideshow.

View attachment 272122
Please come back next week,
you will find out.

It's been a week :) Looking to find out what Asmus plans to show us...

Never in the history of collectibles, there is any brand in any size attempts to make a wizard hat of Gandalf in real fabric.
But we did it. Regardless the cost and difficulty but to persuade the best ever. For that, Asmus will always challenges ourselves.

13612373_10153553043226968_6126480694186230003_n.jpg

Never in the history of collectibles, there is any brand in any size attempts to make a wizard hat of Gandalf in real fabric.
But we did it. Regardless the cost and difficulty but to persuade the best ever. For that, Asmus will always challenges ourselves.

13612373_10153553043226968_6126480694186230003_n.jpg

Very nice....

And yes, that does look like Sam's head there... or maybe Bilbo.

Hat looks nice.

I can't quite figure out what's going on with the hair on that Sam (?) sculpt in the background, though. Am I seeing different colored clay/resin/paint? (I don't think it is, but man, I reeeeally hope that's not rooted hair.)

I doubt it'd be rooted. I'm not sure what's going on either... maybe a resculpt of the hair is in process but they're using a different coloured clay?

I'm pretty sure that's what's going on. Often times it's either additional sculpting work being done on a cast of the original sculpt and/or potential difference in material i.e. softer plastic like when HT does bangs such as Quicksilver or the hair on The Crow and Sweeney Todd

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

It's just additional sculpt work. You see this a lot on NECA's BTS photos for their sculpts. They'll have their base mold done, but add additional details on a sculptable material. Or as Gipetto says, it's reference for the use of different materials.

Back