Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24th, 2016)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Nihilism, dark, pessimistic thoughts, this ain't the MoS thread!

What does the S stand for?

.......Nothing, it means nothing.

....... Oh wait, no! It means marketing, my bad.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

If you think about it, the S symbol and Bat symbol do stand for marketing more than anything else. They ain't characters, they're brands! :lol

Dem batwings have sold alotta dough.

nihilism1ex3.jpg

You can TM almost anything, a Chinese guy once TMd the virgin Mary, because believe it or not, you can earn quite the profit from her imagery....It didn't stop having any less significance for the people who believe in her.

Also, someone tried to TM the Mexican flag once :lol

Everything is a brand.

You can TM almost anything, a Chinese guy once TMd the virgin Mary, because believe it or not, you can earn quite the profit from her imagery....It didn't stop having any less significance for the people who believe in her.

Also, someone tried to TM the Mexican flag once :lol

Everything is a brand.

I just TMd your avatar so pay up.

I don't understand what I was being a **** or whatever you called me? You seem to think that at X gross, its win. How do you simplify studio time, advertising, investment,Marvel licensing fees, etc, etc... without considering any variables, which all of those were; it seems like you were taking a complex equation and wanting to know a simple answer. At the simplest, its exactly like the money loan I asked you. They needed something like 660 mil to break even. Someone even broke it down at one point and said they only needed 500 mil to break even, but then another poster pointed out that it was nice of every theatre in the world to show it for free...just another variable they had left out in reaching their 500 mil figure.

Google it and the words Motley Fool or Forbes. Both sites do coverage of various blockbusters and their cost breakdowns, it really makes the whole process make alot more sense when you factor in all the variables.

But again, you bring up gross, rather than how much it netted. How do you live? on your gross or your net pay?

I think kara was just trying to say they're idiots for investing that much into a product. :lol

I don't care who profits as long as they sell me something that entertains me. :lol

Viva Dawn of the Dead. :lol

Last edited:

Yeah, I obviously haven't followed the Amazing Spidey comments very closely (because I thought it was only an average film), but my point is that almost any investment where a $700 million take doesn't equal real profit is a dubious investment, and expectations seem unrealistic. I'm sure these guys have economists and accountants working to produce estimates using fancy econometric models using all kinds of variables none of use here would even consider, but I wonder if they stepped back and considered the big picture before going in with those kinds of expectations. An exception may be Transformers, or even Avengers 2, where they might base expectations on insanely profitable past installments. But again, ASM 1 made $50 million more than ASM 2, yet the strategy for all those films was developed after ASM, presumably based on its performance, and they toss the strategy in the trash after ASM 2, despite not much changing. It seems to me that this is still a very profitable movie franchise, though of course they would have to reign in expectations and costs in future installments.

Last edited:

Yeah, I obviously haven't followed the Amazing Spidey comments very closely (because I thought it was only an average film), but my point is that almost any investment where a $700 million take doesn't equal real profit is a dubious investment, and expectations seem unrealistic. I'm sure these guys have economists and accountants working to produce estimates using fancy econometric models using all kinds of variables none of use here would even consider, but I wonder if they stepped back and considered the big picture before going in with those kinds of expectations. An exception may be Transformers, or even Avengers 2, where they might base expectations on insanely profitable past installments. But again, ASM 1 made $50 million more than ASM 2, yet the strategy for all those films was developed after ASM, presumably based on its performance, and they toss the strategy in the trash after ASM 2, despite not much changing. It seems to me that this is still a very profitable movie franchise, though of course they would have to reign in expectations and costs in future installments.

Sony needs to get into the business of selling Super Cars instead of Superheroes. :lol

There will always be the Saudi extended family that will purchase every Super Car ever made to show off on the streets of Dubai. :lol

As a fan who wants good movies, I appreciate their rebooting the by then stale Raimi films (even if the ASM films didn't quite live up to what Spidey films could be), but I'm with you. They killed the goose that laid golden eggs. But if it would have paid off with Spidey films making $1.5 billion I guess we would all be saying how great and obvious an idea a reboot was.

Back