*BEWARE SPOILERS* Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whoa momma! Just to clarify you had two seminal movies in Alien and Aliens, movies like that don’t come around very often and are getting less likely to be produced.
The point I was trying to make is that there’s nothing wrong with something not being original, seminal or mind-blowing, just good is sometimes good enough.
You don’t like the movie, fine that’s your taste and the only critic you should listen to is yourself.
But calling the folks that do “sheeple” is a bit silly is it not?
And derivative? Alien nicked a whole heap of ideas from elsewhere as did Star Wars, as did Apocalypse Now as did Blade Runner etc.
Art feeds on itself and mutates into new forms and I’m sure something will come along eventually and blow or collective socks off.
But you’re dead right about Hollywood execs, most of them would’nt know a good script if it danced the fandango in day-glow draws in front of them.
Great post.

I was seriously offended by this movie and physically cringed with the disgusting, disrespectful and unimaginative call backs plus with the bastard marriage amalgamation of good lore with bad lore it was like nails on a chalkboard for me.

But there were parts of the movie that were very well done so I get why its getting the praise its getting but I can’t sign off on this movie due to the lack of courage by the filmmakers to create its own identity vs raping the corpse of what came before.

Shame on them.

Plus the characters were meh.

Kids pfft

I didn’t buy into their existence and the paths that were open for them to proceed forward.

Xenobore

But no reason not to listen to those who enjoyed it they have good input to provide.

Last edited:
Did you guys know there was a television series announced called alien earth and will be on Hulu?

You guys may have just saved me a trip to the theater lol

Haven't read any of this thread, so this comment is fresh off seeing it last night, unspoiled.

Some nice visuals. Overall, plenty of sets; details, xenos. The actors are fine IMO for their ages, tho don't have the maturity I think to be distinctly memorable characters, like in Alien/Aliens and even Prometheus.

IMO the director worked hard to deliver with a balance of rehash; but for me that's where it fell off - it's respectful rehash with some twists, but it's too much.

I'd say this is matinee worthy but not full price worthy. Didn't irritate me the way Alien Covenant did which I thought was often stupid with cute hopping xenos.

So our criticism of aliens being in a new setting might be saved. Besides requiem. The aliens haven’t been to earth I think. I imagine they are going to take over a small town or something

Like it or not, this series is forever identified with Ellen Ripley. Even all these years later. It's why so many people HATED Alien 3. They were vested in this character.
I'd argue that Prometheus and to an extent also Covenant proved the series does have a healthy life outside of the Ripley "cult" (as excellent as she is). For me, the first major Alien misfire came with the 4th film when they decided to bring her back as a clone. This is where they should have recast and done a "soft reboot" i.m.o. The critical failure of the 3rd installment however (not counting the awful CGI), is the fact they didn't bring the xenomorph to Earth. Seing a full scale infestation of a futuristic Bladerunner-esque city was all I wanted from the franchise at that point. And it still is to this day...

But... did you like it?
The production…yes absolutely.

The marriage of Alien and Blade Runner, sure why not.

The atmosphere…definitely.

The high energy face huggers…absolutely.

The practical Alien design…for sure.

The destructive, despicable, irritating, irrational, embarrassing, cringe worthy call backs and bad lore usage…..**** NO!

Last edited:
The production…yes absolutely.

The marriage of Alien and Blade Runner, sure why not.

The atmosphere…definitely.

The high energy face huggers…absolutely.

The Alien design…for sure.

The destructive, despicable, irritating, irrational, embarrassing, cringe worthy call backs and bad lore usage…..**** NO!

I was joking, but yeah. My review is long buried now but I was trying to hold on until the big-eared Ash showed up as a major player... and then I just couldn't hang on any longer. And then it kept getting worse. And then I had time to notice inconsistencies and logic issues. And then the pregnant girl showed up... and I was, like: oh no... and then it happened... and then the idiot-grinning Tall Man came with that weird penina. And she escapes by running a cable through so many ducts... wouldn't she have been splattered against the first hatch, let alone 3 more?

Like Andy said: it tastes funny

I was joking, but yeah. My review is long buried now but I was trying to hold on until the big-eared Ash showed up as a major player... and then I just couldn't hang on any longer. And then it kept getting worse. And then I had time to notice inconsistencies and logic issues. And then the pregnant girl showed up... and I was, like: oh no... and then it happened... and then the idiot-grinning Tall Man came with that weird penina. And she escapes by running a cable through so many ducts... wouldn't she have been splattered against the first hatch, let alone 3 more?

Like Andy said: it tastes funny
I had no idea that Ash…but not Ash…but Ash was going to show up so when it was revealed I cringed hard.

It’s been 20 years since the Ash model was used!

How many 2004 cars do you see on the road today?

I still don’t think that this movie is as disappointing as opening night of Batman Returns, Alien 3 and Dark Knight Rises but it’s offensive non the less.

I think it will settle uncomfortably with people over time. There's not much to it as far as revisiting. Once you've seen it, there's nothing to go back for. Once the honeymoon is over for this, it will not be remembered well.
I swear all day I've been thinking about going again but it's just that baseline "one of my favorites has a new movie out" faux excitement. And at near-50 years old those inclinations are mummifying.

Wow. Tough crowd.
Part of what let me enjoy this more is how my other genre favorites have just been decimated. Star Wars is dead ( they couldn't even leave Andor untouched by Filoni baloney in the S2 trailer, I stopped asking if it can sink any lower because it can & does), Marvel is unwatchable (apologies to those who love the latest quipfest, D & W), and DC is prepping a "funny" Superman. It's become beyond embarrassing to say Star Trek.

At least this looks & feels like some effort was put onto it. Crumbs, I know....

Last edited:
640px-Capitoline_she-wolf_Musei_Capitolini_MC1181.jpg

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, as this was the early 90s or so. And some of us saw these figures for 2 for 5 dollars or 3 for 5 dollars at KayBee toy stores all over the country.

IIRC, O'Malley, Hudson and Vasquez did not make it to US markets. Later the molds were reused to make 2 packs for those characters with an alien figure. It was cheaper to just acquire the character license, but not the individual releases/licenses of the actors. Also there were likely no go zones for certain things depending on other agreements in place for other merchandise. Last factor was Kenner would want to, if it could, reuse accessories or concepts from other toy lines. Reduce R&D. Interesting that Vasquez is the only one with a true classic "Pulse Rifle" Had every character had a "staple" like TMNT did with their weapons trees that came with figures, these might have sold better (i.e. I remember the facehugger accessory was inside the Gorilla Alien set when it should have honestly been in all sets) If you gave everyone a pulse rifle, smart gun, facehugger, chest burster and egg, maybe it sells better.

There was a classic 2 pack, with the Predator that was mostly P1 but with a laser rifle, and a warrior Alien from Aliens. It had the most "classic" aesthetic. Of course it was the hardest to find and probably short packed. Had they made more of those sets instead, again, might have sold better. I remember collectors back then affectionately called the Warrior Alien in the 2 pack as "Deion Sanders" LOL. The Alien toys at brick and mortar didn't make a generational leap until Alien Resurrection. The aqua alien and warrior alien that set, IMHO, are still better than some of the NECA ones.

There was so much demand for Aliens stuff back then, but no one was making much of anything.

View attachment 720712

That Kenner Alien/Predator two-pack was (and still is) very special to me. I wrote about it a few years ago here:

https://www.collectorfreaks.com/thr...eneral-discussion.179267/page-11#post-9243616

Back