*BEWARE SPOILERS* Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even without the call backs ultimately for me it was just boring because of the underdeveloped characters journey.

But as soon as they added the call backs it instantly took me out of the movie and instantly reminded me of the other Alien movie, the better Alien movie!

It needed its own voice.

Last edited:
There are organisms on our planet that can reproduce sexually but also via parthenogenesis when necessary. Others that can store sperm cells from a one time mating event and reproduce later. It's not far-fetched that the Xenomorph would have more than one way to reproduce itself.

Jurassic Park Life GIF

facehuggers are attracted to sound.

people walk quietly but talk, and radio each other, etc.

facehuggers hear nothing.

finally, the humans even speak: Run

people scramble to escape

facehuggers finally 'hear' something -- tumble like tarantulas in pursuit

I know it's not you making this case against Aliens about the creature being reduced to cannon fodder (I read and gave a like to your previous post on the matter) but I'll say anyway that I'm so bored of constantly seeing that attack against such a great film. Without fail, in any given Alien thread, people dump on Aliens for 'the bug thing' - and like as though it's the first time it's ever been said. Aliens is criticized more than Alien Resurrection, which is utterly ridiculous to me. :lol

As long as a sequel engages me, and I can believe I'm watching the same world as the original movie with

- the same general aesthetic
- believable, well written human characters with believable dialogue
- believable action that doesn't go stupidly OTT as often is the case in sequels due to the 'escalation' requirement
- no complete 180 on tone, i.e what was intelligent horror shouldn't suddenly be comedy now etc
- no outright contradictions of previously established characters and lore

Then I'm good with it.

Nothing in the original film said that the creature was not killable (well....other than what Ash said :lol ). There's even Parker's line that, due to the acid blood, you ''don't dare kill it'' and that was because they had just established that a few spurts of Facehugger blood ate through several decks of the spaceship, in space, that they were on. They would have tried shooting the Alien if they thought they could. They did have some sort of gun (assuming my NECA spacesuit figures are accurate!) that was simply never fired in the movie due to these circumstances. And it was just a handgun. The marines in Aliens naturally had much more substantial firepower.

Aliens set up a scenario where big machine guns with armor-piercing rounds retained plausible lethality against biological organisms and yet the human characters still got almost completely massacred by these so-called bugs.

Another frequent attack on Aliens is the loss of the seeming 'sinister intelligence' of the creature. I would argue that the Queen herself took on this role in Cameron's film. And she was magnificent in design and execution, I would simply never be without her in film history.

Even the life-cycle need not be seen as contradicting the Director's Cut of the '79 movie. Perhaps an 'Alien' thing about these creatures is that they have multiple ways of reproducing with the Queen/Hive concept simply being the default once it really gets a foothold somewhere. However a single creature is able to produce eggs too when it knows it is alone. Perhaps the 'Big Chap' (stupid name but...) was even trying to produce a Queen on the Nostromo. Yes, not according to Ridley Scott at the time but in light of an excellent sequel that I'm not willing to discard from canon I can easily make this suggestion for myself.
^^^^^^^
All of this

facehuggers are attracted to sound.

people walk quietly but talk, and radio, etc.

finally, the humans even speak: Run

people scramble to escape

facehuggers finally 'hear' something -- tumble like tarantulas in pursuit
The facehuggers start to wise up before Andy tells them to run. Everything you listed slowly gets them suspicious until booking it becomes more effective than keeping up the previous strategy.

Also, not that it bugs me too much, but one possible reason the facehugger in the first film latches onto Kane despite the chamber being as hot as the tropics could be because he's making plenty of noise. Talking at normal volume, the puff of his respirator, not to mention whatever the respirator is releasing into the air. And his face hovers right above the egg, I mean that's a layup for any parasite.

There are organisms on our planet that can reproduce sexually but also via parthenogenesis when necessary. Others that can store sperm cells from a one time mating event and reproduce later. It's not far-fetched that the Xenomorph would have more than one way to reproduce itself.

I believe xenomorphs are characterized entirely by their lifecycle. Egg (which can be produced from either a queen, or an egg-morphed human), facehugger, embryo, then chestbuster. It's what separates them from the other species of black-goo aliens - such as the trilobite and deacon from Prometheus.

At least, that's how it goes for "natural" xenomorphs. I try not to think too much about the strange genetically-spliced things from Resurrection.

Just watched a clip on YouTube of the returning android likeness. Laughed out loud at how pathetic it looked. If they didn't have the budget to make something more believable, they should have used something/someone different.
Saw a pic of slendermorph too. That made me laugh even harder. Thing looks hilarious and ridiculous.
Maybe I should go see this after all. I can laugh loudly and obnoxiously at the bits that aren't supposed to be funny. Like De Niro in Cape Fear.

Even without the call backs ultimately for me it was just boring because of the underdeveloped characters journey.
Yep
But as soon as they added the call backs it instantly took me out of the movie and instantly reminded me of the other Alien movie, the better Alien movie!

It needed its own voice.
Yep but I would say it reminded me of all the other Alien movies, The better Alien movies

Just watched a clip on YouTube of the returning android likeness. Laughed out loud at how pathetic it looked. If they didn't have the budget to make something more believable, they should have used something/someone different.
Saw a pic of slendermorph too. That made me laugh even harder. Thing looks hilarious and ridiculous.
Maybe I should go see this after all. I laugh loudly and obnoxiously at the bits that aren't supposed to be funny. Like De Niro in Cape Fear.
Both look perfectly fine on the big screen.

Both look perfectly fine on the big screen.
I've read enough comments from people laughing at the android to suspect that it does indeed still look funny on the big screen.
Also big screen picture quality isn't going to make the slendermorph not look funny to me. It just looks so ridiculous.

I've read enough comments from people laughing at the android to suspect that it does indeed still look funny on the big screen.
Looked good to me and I’m very easily put off by bad VFX, has stopped me enjoying plenty of shows and movies.

Didn’t bother me here.
Also big screen picture quality isn't going to make the slendermorph not look funny to me. It just looks so ridiculous.
I liked Prometheus and Covenant so I enjoyed it, it was creepier than the Xeno. But I can imagine people that didn’t like those movies hating it.

Well just to muddy the waters I'll go on record as saying I am one of the people who was disappointed with Ash's visuals. Very "Rogue One" level in that it was mostly passable but not at all convincing. Except RO was eight years ago. Why are tentpole releases still not up to par with youtube deepfakes? Very frustrating.

Did it ruin his scenes? No. Just like the obvious puppet in Alien 3 didn't ruin Bishop's scenes. But like Alien 3 I was always very aware of what I was looking at.

Back