*BEWARE SPOILERS* Alien: Romulus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^
IMG_3102.jpeg

They really are the same as what she wore in the movie, huh. That's actually really cool.

View attachment 721336

Yeah, and it looks like it’s made of distressed leather, too. I’m planning to pick up a pair once the order opens up. It’ll be my first time doing it for sneakers (hopefully it doesn’t sell out :lol)

Yeah, and it looks like it’s made of distressed leather, too. I’m planning to pick up a pair once the order opens up. It’ll be my first time doing it for sneakers (hopefully it doesn’t sell out :lol)
According to the comments on Reeboks' site the last ones they did for Ripley sold out in seconds so hopefully that won't be the case with these.

It was quite satisfying. Nice to see real acid damage to flesh. The best since poor old Drake.

I think there was a nice kill in AvP Requiem but that film is atrocious.

I’m going to see this in 4DX after work :yess:. Had some things spoiled already but that’s totally fine. I can’t wait to see Zuckermorph on the big screen

RT critic/audience scores for the series:

ALIEN: 93/94%

ALIENS: 94/94%

Alien 3: 44/46% (Wow, I'm surprised it's that low)

Alien: Resurrection: 55/39%

Prometheus: 73/68%

Alien Covenant: 65/55%

Alien Romulus: 81/86%
Other than Prometheus' audience being a bit low and Romulus slightly high I'd generally agree with these.

I can't overstate how much the choices at the start of that movie boiled my blood in the early nineties.

EDIT: The lying trailer didn't help matters:

I got to see it yesterday. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I’ll go at least once more before it leaves the theater.
Lots of references to the old movies in there and felt it was very much an homage to all the Alien films. I enjoyed the cast of the movie and liked the main star. She was as tough as “Ripley” back in #1. Lots of parallels to the older movies with old lines recited, which I thought, was done quite well. I was surprised to see Ashe, the science officer. He was a bad guy then and was a bad guy now too.
What was up with the beginning though? She’s sitting somewhere, looking out over the horizon then the movie starts out like she’s remembering her past or something. I found it a bit strange especially considering the end of the movie. Where does the very beginning fit?
A lot of folks complained about the ending too so I’m guessing it was the final monster not being enough creature material similar like the one in Prometheus. People weren’t happy with the final creature appearance in that movie also. I thought he was cool enough with the concept they chose using the black liquid. Interesting idea.
All in all I found it enjoyable pretty much throughout the movie. The beginning was very claustrophobic with all the tight spaces. The references to all of the Alien films was really cool. I want to see it a second time to be able to find others I might have missed. I saw the original film when I was a senior in high school in 1979. This many years later it’s still quite the franchise. Enjoyed in a world of crummy films this one stands out as worth going to see. 👍🏼

Alien 3 is heavily underrated. It fits very well with Alien. I think if it weren't for the unhappy endings of Newt and Hicks folk would have loved it. I hated Newt in Aliens anyway so had no issue with the movie. The death of companions felt realistic given the circumstances and all contributed to the sense that Ripley was in hell.

What was up with the beginning though? She’s sitting somewhere, looking out over the horizon then the movie starts out like she’s remembering her past or something. I found it a bit strange especially considering the end of the movie. Where does the very beginning fit?
I took it as establishing her motivation for agreeing to go by showing that she spends a good part of her free time dreaming of better and brighter worlds.

The more I reflect on the film the more I'm impressed with the story.

Almost every entry has the action taking place due to either a shocking contrivance or shocking idiocy on the part of one or more characters, while simultaneously screwing up the lore in one way or another. And really only the 1979 film avoids this prior to Romulus.

Sure you could argue that Kane was foolhardy but not in an "unrealistic" way. And Ash letting them back onto the ship was neither stupid or a contrivance, it was a pivotal aspect of his character.

But in ALIENS I always wonder why military protocol does not require that a single crew member stay on board the Sulaco. Even on Romulus the kids were wise enough to leave two people to man their docked vessel! To a lesser extent I suppose you could also ask why the ALIENS dropship would go off and land with its cargo bay open to the elements. Now ALIENS is a 10/10 film and I'll die on that hill but on at least an intellectual level I recognize that those two bits (especially the former) don't particularly make too much sense.

Alien 3 opens with a glaring plothole (magically appearing egg) and then requires a huge contrivance (no weapons in a prison) to play out.

Alien: Res is chock-full of stupidity. As is Prometheus and Covenant, with both the latter films utterly screwing up the lore on top of the unforgivable idiocy of the "geniuses" in each.

But Romulus? As far as I can recall the entire story checks out. The cast is all 2nd gen miners' and farmers' kids so they aren't expected to be geniuses, but even then I wouldn't say they do anything stupid. For everything they want to do they choose the path of least resistance but the script cleverly keeps throwing obstacles in their way that are beyond their control or anticipation. They're basically a bunch of slightly older "Newt" type characters that want a better life and don't feel like there's much to lose in trying. Every risk they take seems measured and calculated, with no one being a "Mary Sue/Bestest evar" or first rate idiot to progress the story.

Back