Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll say it again, I could give a flying F@#K about bonus features, I never have time to watch them anyway, give me a good transfer with True 5.1 and I'm good.

If it makes you happy 'Bonus Boy' Ratatouille and Cars are LOADED with them. :rolleyes:

:lecture :lecture :lecture

Exactly.

...and for people talking about Paramount, their contract with HD DVD is only good for 2 years. I'm with Ill, i'll take my Blu-ray 1986 Transformers over the new one right now. Good enough for me.

You guys have to do a lot more research if you still think HD DVD will win.

Exactly.

...and for people talking about Paramount, their contract with HD DVD is only good for 2 years. I'm with Ill, i'll take my Blu-ray 1986 Transformers over the new one right now. Good enough for me.

I really havent paid much attention to "special features" since the early days of DVD. Then they were something new and I felt it was a vital part of the DVD experience. Now a days I really never bother with the special features. I watch the movie and pretty much leave it at that.

Exactly.

And I don't see anyone stating that HD DVD will win (it's too early to put all eggs into either basket)...just that they have some obvious momentum right now.

I've done plenty of research. Look, establishing a large base of HD DVD players would not be insignificant at all. And unless Sony and Blu-Ray counter and start pushing their hardware (which means they need to come out with a $200 or cheaper player) HD DVD will begin gaining ground on disc sales at a rapid rate. Then it may be possible that the length of the Paramount deal becomes moot.

I really havent paid much attention to "special features" since the early days of DVD. Then they were something new and I felt it was a vital part of the DVD experience. Now a days I really never bother with the special features. I watch the movie and pretty much leave it at that.
Same here. A lot of people are banking on Special Features being HD-DVD's savior, but I know for a fact that a lot of people don't really care for them that much.

I don't see anyone stating that HD DVD will win...just that they have some obvious momentum right now.

Low cost gets consumers on board, selling 90,000 HD DVD players is gonna be a big impact for them.

Sony need to suck it up and start offering BD at a reduced price. At this moment the war is far from over but HD just gained a foothold for sure.

And now that my WalMart has all but stopped offering BD, its not a good sign.

Same here. A lot of people are banking on Special Features being HD-DVD's savior, but I know for a fact that a lot of people don't really care for them that much.

Actually, if anything, I'd say that the better price-point and establishing a much larger player base would be HD DVD's savior, if anything.

But again, it's too early to call a clear winner in this thing. There is plenty of Kool-Aid drinking on BOTH sides. The safest move is to hedge your bets on both, imho.

Low cost gets consumers on board, selling 90,000 HD DVD players is gonna be a big impact for them.

Sony need to suck it up and start offering BD at a reduced price. At this moment the war is far from over but HD just gained a foothold for sure.

Precisely.

Look, I WANT Blu-Ray to start kicking butt again. The competition is good for every (especially consumers with both formats).

this is entirely true. the only reason I decided to go with HD is because of the price of the player was far cheaper than Bluray. I am waiting for the price of bluray to come down so I can get one of those too.

Price is everything. 99% of the consumer has no idea the difference between BD and HD. But they have no problem figuring out what is cheaper.

Sony needs to take a large loss and offer players dirt cheap.

Fan boys are so funny :lol

I have both, could care less who wins. I'll sit back and enjoy both formats for as long as they are in coexistance. Hopefully it'll mean a lot of good deals on movies in the coming months.

And I don't see anyone stating that HD DVD will win (it's too early to put all eggs into either basket)...just that they have some obvious momentum right now.

I've done plenty of research. Look, establishing a large base of HD DVD players would not be insignificant at all. And unless Sony and Blu-Ray counter and start pushing their hardware (which means they need to come out with a $200 or cheaper player) HD DVD will begin gaining ground on disc sales at a rapid rate. Then it may be possible that the length of the Paramount deal becomes moot.

That's already been disputed and denied by Warner:

https://www.dvdtown.com/news/warner-b...eutrality/4876

Post #825. Hope your research on the issue isn't like your research through this thread.

Also, your link is just like mine, saying that we'll have to wait and see next year.

Post #825. Hope your research on the issue isn't like your research through this thread.

What does that mean? Like anyone has time to read through all of these billion page threads all the time while in the middle of a flowing discussion. :lol

Also, your link is just like mine, saying that we'll have to wait and see next year.

Right. But it also doesn't paint things in the corner of BD like the blu-ray.com article does (for obvious reasons).

In any case, though I am preferring HD DVD right now (for the price and added value materials) I'm still hedging my bets on both formats. May the best one truly win. :duff

I tell you what. HD DVD just had a huge victory selling all those players and getting them in the homes of consumers. Now there are reports of Wal Marts offering more and more HD DVD's but less Blu Ray disks. Hello. This war just got even more interesting. Wal-Mart is a huge retailer. Currently they are the leader in sales for video games. If Wal-Mart supports one format over the other then the losing format better think up a strategy before it drowns.

I like this war because each side keeps offering me cheap DVDs :rock

I will bet you guys that HD DVD takes this one.

1) Because Sony is run by a bunch of really greedy and stubborn people.
2) They make stupid choices (UMD, BEta Max etc)
3) Prices for HD DVD players are better
4) People recognize the HD DVD name as being High Def.

Sad part is I have quite a few Blu Ray movies that will be worthless unless I have my PS3

I tell you what. HD DVD just had a huge victory selling all those players and getting them in the homes of consumers. Now there are reports of Wal Marts offering more and more HD DVD's but less Blu Ray disks. Hello. This war just got even more interesting. Wal-Mart is a huge retailer. Currently they are the leader in sales for video games. If Wal-Mart supports one format over the other then the losing format better think up a strategy before it drowns.

I like this war because each side keeps offering me cheap DVDs :rock

Yes, when I asked the lady at Wal Mary where their BD movies had gone she said that they sent them back because they didnt sell a BD player.

Sony better get WalMart on board or it could mean trouble in the long run.

Back