Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, i'll keep it friendly here but lets think about this okay?

Below cost of production applies in this case. The HD-A2 arrived in the States with an original MSRP of $499.99. Now, Toshiba is letting it go for just $99. There's no way the player cost less than $100 to manufacture...

So you might wonder, how can Toshiba possibly have enough HD-A2s left to sell at just $99 at large, nationwide retailers? Simple. It's because they didn't sell originally, so plenty of stores still have them sitting on shelves, gathering dust. Toshiba is eager to clear them all out at this point, and Wal-Mart and Best Buy are happy to help.

Clearly, the HD-DVD camp understands that low price is really the only card they have left to play in this format war.

I will bet you guys that HD DVD takes this one.

1) Because Sony is run by a bunch of really greedy and stubborn people.
2) They make stupid choices (UMD, BEta Max etc)
3) Prices for HD DVD players are better
4) People recognize the HD DVD name as being High Def.

Sad part is I have quite a few Blu Ray movies that will be worthless unless I have my PS3

2) don't forget SACD as well - i bought into that but got screwed because there were like 50 titles available.
4) sadly, i personally know two people that didn't know that Bluray was HD, they thought it was only for HD DVD. very sad indeed.

Low prices may be the only card they have to play. Cheap wins every time. History does not lie. IF they get Wal-Mart- the war will be over soon, I promise this. Just buy an HD DVD player already.

The bottom line is that 99% od the consumer public sees $$$$.

If they have a choice between $100 and $400. which do you think they will take.

Ask 10 random people on your way home from work the difference between 1080i and 1080p. I bet VERY few will know.

Then ask that same person the difference between $100 and $400.

Bet they know the difference.

2) don't forget SACD as well - i bought into that but got screwed because there were like 50 titles available.
4) sadly, i personally know two people that didn't know that Bluray was HD, they thought it was only for HD DVD. very sad indeed.

5) I might as well add the craptastic PSP to this list. I felt so burned after buying that piece of junk and it goes along with their scam of a format UMD.

I think another positive thing is their willingness to sell customers players that match the resolution of their TV sets. People who don't have a 1080p set are happy to pay less money for a 1080i player. Sony seems to be resolute in their approach of offering only the very best regardless of the price, whereas Toshiba is willing to cater to more than just the elite people with deep pockets. My parents spent a great deal of money on their first HDTV about 18 months ago and it is not a 1080p set--and they aren't going to replace it any time soon. So the folks who look down on 1080i players don't seem to understand that there are tons of people out there who don't care about 1080p and who can't view it anyway.

Below cost of production applies in this case. The HD-A2 arrived in the States with an original MSRP of $499.99. Now, Toshiba is letting it go for just $99. There's no way the player cost less than $100 to manufacture...

So you might wonder, how can Toshiba possibly have enough HD-A2s left to sell at just $99 at large, nationwide retailers? Simple. It's because they didn't sell originally, so plenty of stores still have them sitting on shelves, gathering dust. Toshiba is eager to clear them all out at this point, and Wal-Mart and Best Buy are happy to help.

Clearly, the HD-DVD camp understands that low price is really the only card they have left to play in this format war.
Exactly, very well said. I am one of those who was going to buy one of those HD-A2 players back when I found out that TF was HD-DVD Exclusive, but I realized that one movie I was interested in did not merit the purchase of a second player and a second format I'd have to be purchasing. Plus, right now I am really enjoying what Blu-Ray has to offer as far as titles, not much from the HD side has excited me.

You are over-thinking it, my friend. ALL previous tech format wars have proven that the format that accomplishes a sizeable installed player base wins. THAT is the #1 reason behind the price drops. Besides, the initial release of 1st-gen new technology hardward has always seen huge price drops eventually.

If Joe Sixpack ends up owning HD DVD players vs Blu-Ray players 10-to-1, guess what's gonna happen?

That's why Blu-Ray has to respond by eating some $$ on player sales ASAP. They simply cannot allow HD DVD to get a huge hardware foothold if they intend to win.

Low prices may be the only card they have to play. Cheap wins every time. History does not lie. IF they get Wal-Mart- the war will be over soon, I promise this. Just buy an HD DVD player already.

Yes but you're all going off of what some lady told King. Who knows what Wal-Mart will be doing??

Target officially announced Blu-ray exclusivity in their stores, is everybody forgetting this?

Ask 10 random people on your way home from work the difference between 1080i and 1080p. I bet VERY few will know.

Heck, most people only know one thing. it's in high definition!

they have no idea about i's and p's and 1080 and 720... heck, there are still far too many people that think fullscreen is better than what the original aspect ratio of a film is. I hate those black bars on the screen.

ok, soapbox over.

Yes but you're all going off of what some lady told King. Who knows what Wal-Mart will be doing??

Target officially announced Blu-ray exclusivity in their stores, is everybody forgetting this?

Yeah dont take what one lady told me at Wal Mart to mean ALL walmarts. Its just the wal mart here. Who knows what others are doing.

You are over-thinking it, my friend. ALL previous tech format wars have proven that the format that accomplishes a sizeable installed player base wins. THAT is the #1 reason behind the price drops. Besides, the initial release of 1st-gen new technology hardward has always seen huge price drops eventually.

If Joe Sixpack end up owning HD DVD players vs Blu-Ray players 10-to-1, guess what's gonna happen?

That's why Blu-Ray has to respond by eating some $$ on player sales ASAP. They simply cannot allow HD DVD to get a huge hardward foothold if they intend to win.

In almost all cases, it's the software, not the hardware that makes or breaks it. take video game consoles, Sony and Xbox both lost money on their consoles. but it is the games that will make or break them.

If Joe Sixpack end up owning HD DVD players vs Blu-Ray players 10-to-1, guess what's gonna happen?

That's why Blu-Ray has to respond by eating some $$ on player sales ASAP. They simply cannot allow HD DVD to get a huge hardward foothold if they intend to win.

You are correct BUT my original point was to say it's too early to even think about calling a winner in this.

Everbody is suddenly excited about all the HD units selling in a couple of days. Woo hoo! Look at the numbers of HD DVD titles that have sold vs Blu-ray titles. Blu ray wins those numbers.

Once again, Toshiba is losing their money by getting these off the shelves. It doesn't matter that all those people bought a cheap player. I'd love to know how many of them actually know how to work one/have the correct television to go with it, etc. etc.

When will that take effect? I still see plenty of HD DVD's in the ones in my area. Why are you so in love with Blu Ray? I still think HD DVD will win. Mark this post because it tells the future. :lol

You are over-thinking it, my friend. ALL previous tech format wars have proven that the format that accomplishes a sizeable installed player base wins.
There have been 5.59 million PS3's (Blu-Ray Players) sold as of September 30, 2007, I'd call that 'Sizeable'. 90,000 Toshiba players is a drop in the bucket compared to that.

In almost all cases, it's the software, not the hardware that makes or breaks it. take video game consoles, Sony and Xbox both lost money on their consoles. but it is the games that will make or break them.

THANK YOU.

exactly what i was trying to state in my last post.

Video Games are the exception, not the norm.

You are correct that software sales is where the $$$. But sales of PLAYERS comes first, because that ultimately drives software sales.

Take beta/VHS, for example. Sony's beta format was technically superior in every way. However, Sony was too greedy to allow other manufacturers to make beta players without paying huge stipends, which kept betamax players very expensive. Enter VHS, a much cheaper alternative to consumers. Therefore, the installed player base eclipsed that of beta's (despite being technically inferior) and the rest is history.

When will that take effect? I still see plenty of HD DVD's in the ones in my area. Why are you so in love with Blu Ray? I still think HD DVD will win. Mark this post because it tells the future. :lol

Once again, to answer a question you asked me in this very thread months ago, when you invest $600 in something, you want to see it work out ;)

Back