Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct BUT my original point was to say it's too early to even think about calling a winner in this.

Everbody is suddenly excited about all the HD units selling in a couple of days. Woo hoo! Look at the numbers of HD DVD titles that have sold vs Blu-ray titles. Blu ray wins those numbers.

Once again, Toshiba is losing their money by getting these off the shelves. It doesn't matter that all those people bought a cheap player. I'd love to know how many of them actually know how to work one/have the correct television to go with it, etc. etc.

:lol:lol:rotfl You plug in the wires to your TV- not very hard to figure out how to work a player. Video game consoles are sold at a lost to sell software. You know what all those people who just bought a cheap HD DVD player will do? They will justify purchasing a couple HD DVDs because they bought the player for so cheap, see how wonderful it is and then continue to buy more. It's the start of the end. :lol:rotfl

:lol:lol:rotfl You plug in the wires to your TV- not very hard to figure out how to work a player. Video game consoles are sold at a lost to sell software. You know what all those people who just bought a cheap HD DVD player will do? They will justify purchasing a couple HD DVDs because they bought the player for so cheap, see how wonderful it is and then continue to buy more. It's the start of the end. :lol:rotfl

I think you're really giving more credit to the general public than you should be giving.

Once again, to answer a question you asked me in this very thread months ago, when you invest $600 in something, you want to see it work out ;)

Ummm so spend $150 more and get your self an xbox 360 HD DVD player, then you won't give yourself an ulcer worrying about if Blu Ray will win or not and you will have the best of both worlds. IT's cheap-what are you waiting for. :lecture

You are correct BUT my original point was to say it's too early to even think about calling a winner in this.

Now THAT we can both agree on. :rock

I do think some folks are more emotionally invested in one format over the other, though. Which is fine, but it doesn't always lead to rational discussion. :lol

Again, like I said earlier... may the best and most-deserving format win (and, sorry, but it IS too early to make that call one way or the other). In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy releases from both. :duff

Ummm so spend $150 more and get your self an xbox 360 HD DVD player, then you won't give yourself an ulcer worrying about if Blu Ray will win or not and you will have the best of both worlds. IT's cheap-what are you waiting for. :lecture
Because not everyone wants to buy movies in two formats. I already owned a BD player which I love so I am gonna support it. I've made my choice and I'm sticking to it. :)

Because not everyone wants to buy movies in two formats. I already owned a BD player which I love so I am gonna support it. I've made my choice and I'm sticking to it. :)

That's irrational though. Loyalty to a specific format-why? You don't even have to buy movies to enjoy both formats. I watch both HD DVDs and Blu Ray videos that I rent from Netflix. Only thing invested was about $100 for a player and then what ever I gave Sony for my PS3. It seems pointless to miss out on a certain movie in High Def just because you feel compelled to stick to one format only. :)

That's irrational though. Loyalty to a specific format-why? You don't even have to buy movies to enjoy both formats. I watch both HD DVDs and Blu Ray videos that I rent from Netflix. Only thing invested was about $100 for a player and then what ever I gave Sony for my PS3. It seems pointless to miss out on a certain movie in High Def just because you feel compelled to stick to one format only. :)

I wanted to note- not only do you not have to buy any movies - they are giving them away for FREE! I got 10 Free HD DVD movies with the purchase of my player. WOWZAH!:chew:chew

I totally get what you're saying, but as I've stated before, I already owned the BD player in the PS3 and I'm not too excited about what HD has to offer. Plus, BD has a lot of Exclusive titles (Pirates 1, 2 & 3, Ratatouille, Cars, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, The Simpsons Movie and Superbad :rock) just to name a few, so I am happy. :)

I think that the total number of PS3s out there is one of the most important statistics to consider in this war. (But another important question is the attach rate--how many of those 5.59 million people will purchase BR discs compared to the virtually 100% of people who will buy HD DVD software for their stand alone player?)

watch these same people plug in their HD DVDs with an S-Video cable, or an RCA Video cable and say WOW, it looks so much better! Component, HDMI? what's that?

I totally get what you're saying, but as I've stated before, I already owned the BD player in the PS3 and I'm not too excited about what HD has to offer. Plus, BD has a lot of Exclusive titles (Pirates 1, 2 & 3, Ratatouille, Cars, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, The Simpsons Movie and Superbad :rock) just to name a few, so I am happy. :)

I hear ya. I just really love having both because of all the options available. There has never been a better time to dive into HD DVD than now. :rock

I think that the total number of PS3s out there is one of the most important statistics to consider in this war. (But another important question is the attach rate--how many of those 5.59 million people will purchase BR discs compared to the virtually 100% of people who will buy HD DVD software for their stand alone player?)

The total number of PS3's out there is less important than you might think. I just read an article that mentioned several studies have indicated 6 out of 10 PS3 owners aren't even aware of it's Blu-Ray capabilities, and out of the remaining 4, only half actually utilize the player to play BD software. Now, IF those numbers are remotely accurate (and if there are really 5.59 million PS3 owners out there), that means there are still over 1 million PS3 owners using the system as a BD player, at least part of the time. That's still waaaay more than the current number of HD-DVD players sold to date, and that's not even including other stand-alone BD players. This accounts for BDs lead in software sales thus far, but I think that's all going to change in the coming months if Toshiba keeps pulling ballsy stunts like this.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out!

watch these same people plug in their HD DVDs with an S-Video cable, or an RCA Video cable and say WOW, it looks so much better! Component, HDMI? what's that?

It still makes me laugh that my PS3 only came with an RCA cable that isn't capable of carrying a high def signal.

Why would I want my loud 360 to be running a HD DVD drive when I have a quiet PS3 with kick ass blu-rays?

You do the math. To me, it's not about price. I couldn't care if it was $70. I like Blu-ray, sue me. :D

Back