Blue-Ray or HD DVD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got my HD player from a special deal. Came with 3 DVDs one of which was 300, which was the first BD disc I bought.

And I have the PS3, so I'm covered both ways too. I HATE watching DVDs using that stupid PS3 controller though. And it's a bluetooth rather than IR, so my $150 universal remote can't control it. Guess the HD is going to get most of my business.

I finally got my HD player from a special deal. Came with 3 DVDs one of which was 300, which was the first BD disc I bought.

And I have the PS3, so I'm covered both ways too. I HATE watching DVDs using that stupid PS3 controller though. And it's a bluetooth rather than IR, so my $150 universal remote can't control it. Guess the HD is going to get most of my business.

Hey Darklord Dave,

You can buy the Nyko Blue Wave remote the Gamestop has right now for $10 bucks till 12/2 and it is IR instead of Bluetooth. It has a small USB attachment that makes the IR signal work, so after you have that you can program all the functions into your universal remote. I did it with my Harmony 880 and works great. Harmony also has all the buttons configured as well. They only down fall to this is it will not turn on or off the PS3, but you still have to get up and put in a movie anyway so it's not to bad.

Do HD-DVD's have loading times? The reason I ask is because I was at the in-laws this past weekend and we put BD Spider-Man 3 in. Before the menu started there were two progress bars, after the progress bars finished, it loaded the menu and ran very choppy. On top of that, the movie wouldn't play. I had download a firmware update before it would play the movie (the menu was still choppy after the update).

If loading times and choppy menus is what to expect from BD, I think I'll go HD. After a little bit of googling, I found that BD uses java for menus. I'm guessing java has something to do with the loading time and choppiness, java seems to run like garbage on any platform.

So, I guess I'm asking is do HD-DVD's have loading times? and Has anyone else experienced the choppy Spider-Man 3 menu?

Spider-Man 3, Ratatouille, Cars, Close Encounters--all of these recent BR discs have had load times. The Pixar ones even start with a message telling you that you are about to wait for 2-3 minutes (although my waits weren't that long in the end.)

I primarily use the 360 add on for my HD DVDs and haven't experienced wait times with that. But then, not every BR titles has load times like some of these recent ones. I wouldn't say that it should be an issue that should completely keep you away from the format.

With the Xbox 360 HD-DVD addon there is a loading time once you start the disc, like 5-10 seconds before it plays the disc, but after that it runs really well, in fact it runs better than regular DVD's, I've noticed that looping DVD menus don't usually have the stop-and-go effect (where it gets to the end of the loop and blinks then repeats the video).

I was gonna get the Die Hard set, but $109 was a bit steep for me.

Your wife is a keeper man congrats!! :rock

I got it for about $67 from deepdiscount.com when they had a 20% off sale code going. Only bad thing is that it is back ordered for a couple weeks.

Do HD-DVD's have loading times? The reason I ask is because I was at the in-laws this past weekend and we put BD Spider-Man 3 in. Before the menu started there were two progress bars, after the progress bars finished, it loaded the menu and ran very choppy. On top of that, the movie wouldn't play. I had download a firmware update before it would play the movie (the menu was still choppy after the update).

If loading times and choppy menus is what to expect from BD, I think I'll go HD. After a little bit of googling, I found that BD uses java for menus. I'm guessing java has something to do with the loading time and choppiness, java seems to run like garbage on any platform.

So, I guess I'm asking is do HD-DVD's have loading times? and Has anyone else experienced the choppy Spider-Man 3 menu?

You have to take into account that these players are basically computers now (both HD and Blu) so they have longer start up times to load the OS/decoding software (Blu Ray players seem to be quicker to start up generally speaking) and will need to have firmware updates on a pretty regular basis. Transformers on HD also loads when the disk starts so it is something that both sides deal with to some extent.

You have to take into account that these players are basically computers now (both HD and Blu) so they have longer start up times to load the OS/decoding software (Blu Ray players seem to be quicker to start up generally speaking) and will need to have firmware updates on a pretty regular basis. Transformers on HD also loads when the disk starts so it is something that both sides deal with to some extent.

Actually, on the Xbox 360 it takes longer to sign you in than it does to start up the console. Transformers on HD-DVD has a loading thing at the beginning because it has interactive content through the internet connection so it checks each time it starts up. Other discs just start right off.

Actually, on the Xbox 360 it takes longer to sign you in than it does to start up the console. Transformers on HD-DVD has a loading thing at the beginning because it has interactive content through the internet connection so it checks each time it starts up. Other discs just start right off.

I was talking about standalone players not game add ons otherwise yes the 360 add on is very quick along with the PS3.

Awesome but I will probably wait until boxing day to pick up a HD-DVD player for my 360

Awesome but I will probably wait until boxing day to pick up a HD-DVD player for my 360

If they have it on sale.

It was funny, during Black Friday at Best Buy they had all these boxes of things to make the lines to the registers and they had all types of things including the Xbox HD-DVD addon, but everything was full price and they were all acting like it was on sale.

If they have it on sale.

It was funny, during Black Friday at Best Buy they had all these boxes of things to make the lines to the registers and they had all types of things including the Xbox HD-DVD addon, but everything was full price and they were all acting like it was on sale.

haha, I bet those people felt stupid.

Back