Captain Marvel - March 8, 2019

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Writers have stated in the past that they are fully aware of the inherent character pitfulls which exist with making uber powered heroes....cough Superman cough have appropriate level of adversities to challenge them.

I’m sure she will have her kryptonite moment.

Maybe head Skrull guy will pee on her while she’s down that should make some here very happy lol

Brie Larson on what makes 'Captain Marvel' a 'big feminist movie'

"I had a meeting with Marvel and what we discussed was they wanted to make a big feminist movie," she recalled. "I remember going home and being like, ****, am I going to do this?"

What eventually convinced her was the realization that, as she put it, "It's kind of everything that I've wanted." For Larson, a proud feminist, Captain Marvel presented the opportunity to advance the cause of female representation through a broadly appealing piece of popcorn entertainment.

I'm sure some people have been relishing the idea of witnessing Marvel's first failure but so far I just don't think that this is the blood in the water that they are looking for. We'll see.

Even I don't think that. At worst it'll do alright. Plus there's comments on YT people will show up just desperate for IW credit scene. Plus, there's plenty who wanna see CM on screen.

Meanwhile:

The news broke Monday that the character Shang-Chi is on the fast-track for a film with Chinese-American screenwriter Dave Callaham (Wonder Woman 1984, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 ) on script duties. While Shang-Chi might be largely unknown, even amongst comic readers, the character is primed to break out in a way similar to Black Panther earlier this year. Marvel is searching for Asian and Asian-American filmmakers to helm the feature in the effort to make sure the film offers a perspective on Asian identity, something Hollywood is coming to realize the importance of and desire for, following this summer’s breakout hit Crazy Rich Asians.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/how-shang-chi-could-be-marvels-next-black-panther-1166159

I dont see what makes her the "most powerful" mcu hero. Yeah, shes flying in space really fast and effortlessly destroying space ships, but I still think Thor in IW and Strange in IW and Thor 3 are more powerful. Thor was destroying space ships like it was nothing in Avengers 1. :dunno

Once sue storm comes into play she’ll be side lined yet again. If I remember correctly sue is the strongest marvel woman?

I like Brie Larson, but in my mind Marvel missed the boat when they didn't cast Charlize Theron. I'm trying to keep an open mind & I hope I'm proven wrong, but right now I don't see Brie projecting the commanding presence that I expect from CM. I honestly think her smaller stature has a lot to do with it. Charlize is tall and statuesque, exactly how CM is portrayed in the comics, plus she's got the star power to be believable going toe-to-toe with RDJ, Evans, Cumberbatch, etc.. I've read that Charlize's age was a factor, but given what they're doing with CGI these days they could have kept her looking 43 well into the future.

Eh, they said WW was a feminist movie too. We'll see.

I don't like when they start very deliberately drawing attention to this stuff - always comes across as praise-seeking and even patronizing towards the minorities they're aiming at. It's embarrassing.

Though I thought Wonder Woman was good enough for me to forget about all that crap. I'd like to see it again actually, don't think I have it.

If all they're feeding them is genuine classically liberal feminism, then I hope they take the bait.

Eh, they said WW was a feminist movie too. We'll see.

There are a lot of meanings that can go with that word. Carol Danvers was considered a feminist character in the 70's, simply by virtue of being a female fighter pilot (hot costume notwithstanding). The feminism of today is just Marxism for women. Radical social theory has hijacked many concepts that used to make a lot of sense.

Not blown away by what I've seen thus far...in fact the more I watch, the more Brie Larson's line delivery / annunciation irritates ("I'm not gonna fight your war...>I'm gonna end it<"). Really not sold on her at all, although admittedly, she does look good when fully kitted up - especially with helmet. I'm far more interested in Jude Law's character and what he brings to the table.

However, it's just a trailer and perhaps unfair to judge dialogue and performance when taken out of context....so I will wait for the film and approach it with an open mind. I really do hope it's fantastic.

Back