Celebration Anaheim 2015 - April 16-19 - Confirmed!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah with it in OC it's going to be like comic com, lots of "working" girls in costumes.
I just fear it isn't a failure like CIV. I'm not talking in terms of quality (I know we have differing opinions on that). It was the LOWEST attended US Celebration (and tied with Celebration Japan for the lowest overall). Only 17,000. It caused GenCon to file for bankruptcy protection. I don't know if it was due to locale, or guests attending, or programming or what. Orlando was much better attended. Higher attendance should mean more costumes. I know SDCC does awesome there, so it was mind-boggling that CIV was so lowly attended.

I just fear it isn't a failure like CIV. I'm not talking in terms of quality (I know we have differing opinions on that). It was the LOWEST attended US Celebration (and tied with Celebration Japan for the lowest overall). Only 17,000. It caused GenCon to file for bankruptcy protection. I don't know if it was due to locale, or guests attending, or programming or what. Orlando was much better attended. Higher attendance should mean more costumes. I know SDCC does awesome there, so it was mind-boggling that CIV was so lowly attended.

The con itself was fine (if a little bare). The location was horrible. I think a large part of the problem was that there was no new movie, nothing Star Wars coming up in the mean time.

CVII should be fine. We have a major movie, Disney is promoting the hell out of anything Star Wars (Too much maybe?) and the teaser trailer has people really talking about it. The first con since the buyout by Disney.

I'm sure Celebration Anaheim will be great.. I just want more info!

You are mistaken. It was. Lucasfilm sued them over CIV's failure, and that's why they filed. They emerged from bankruptcy like a year later, so it could have been worse.

No I am not, there was a lot of shady stuff that never made big headlines. They were doomed. Lucasfilm just held them to task on it !

No I am not, there was a lot of shady stuff that never made big headlines. They were doomed. Lucasfilm just held them to task on it !
Well, wikipedia agrees with me:
Gen Con spent a short time under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, due to a lawsuit brought against them by Lucasfilm in 2008.[SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] The organization emerged from bankruptcy protection a year later, while still holding its regularly scheduled events.

If you know something else, please provide links. I would love to read it.

GenCon lost a lot of money due to CIV, then didn't pay Lucasfilm what they were due. The failure of CIV, followed by the lawsuit by Lucasfilm, is the direct cause of their bankruptcy. I'm not saying there weren't any other factors, but it was mainly due to the CIV debacle.

It was in a few trades (non internet) and some brokers I know with trading houses in NYC that I went to school with gave me a number reveals.

Sometimes you have to trust there is more at work than what you can find on the internet.

It was in a few trades (non internet) and some brokers I know with trading houses in NYC that I went to school with gave me a number reveals.

Sometimes you have to trust there is more at work than what you can find on the internet.
I don't think I can agree with that analogy. People embellish all the time. Just cuz somebody tells you something, doesn't make it true. If it was in trades, then it would certainly be on the internet. I can find stuff on the internet which was posted in the 90's. I do not for a second believe that something was a secret in the trades in 2007-8, and not posted anywhere on the internet.

I will agree that not everything you read on the internet is true, but cannot agree that something was PUBLISHED yet doesn't exist on the internet. Not a chance.

We will agree to disagree.

You believe one thing I believe another ...

I mean you are a Brewers fan after all ;)

We will agree to disagree.

You believe one thing I believe another ...

I mean you are a Brewers fan after all ;)
It's hard to believe something when you have no supporting evidence whatsoever... It seems the two of us have to "agree to disagree" quite a bit! :lol
BUT YOU LEAVE MY BREWERS OUT OF THIS! :mad: :pfft:

"Can't we all just get alooooonnng..."

tumblr_njs8d693c81teszibo1_540.jpg

Just messing with you, Falcon. It's all good. JJJ and I have differing opinions on many things. No harm, no foul. It's good to have debates sometimes. Keeps things fresh in here!

The thing I remember about GenCon is the extremes; the CIII show store was a disaster, then the CIV show store was complete overkill with an entire hall designated for the space and shopping by appointment 24 hrs/day

We walked in there like 2 am and it was empty

Back