Premium Format Cobra Commander Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the supplying business the onus is on Sideshow to:

1) Make quality products people want;
2) Price them reasonably;
3) Keep Edition Sizes in check so as not to over-saturate the demand

If they did that consistently, I guarantee you the NRD would never have been necessary. Now it's the customers and collectors who are literally having to pay for Sideshow sometimes over-producing stuff, missing the mark on quality, or offering items no one really wants. And for making stuff in polystone (like 1:6 environments) that could be made much more affordably from other materials while looking just as nice (this is where they fail on pricing half the time).

This Cobra Commander PF almost surely failed at #3 above.

Well, I feel far more often than not SS does all three of those.

Ah if people could show restraint and not order everything under the sun it wouldn't be needed either. Sideshow used to announce the ES on everything and it was reasonable. Then fans _____ED to high heaven that they didn't get a chance. So Sideshow did what was good for them but also what fans had asked and went to TDB. People then went crazy and ordered things cause they could. Therefore driving up ES cause Sideshow tried to do right by both. In the end collectors are fickle the love something at order time and cancel when they realize they have to pay for it. That leaves the rest of us holding the bag so I'm ok with the NRD and if it makes things better for me then great.

It's certainly a delicate balancing act that Sideshow has on their plate. Sometimes they're just gonna produce stuff they think will fly, but it won't. That is the risk of running any business. I just wish they'd mitigate the risk by fine-tuning their decisions and internal business model instead of passing the buck on to us.

And considering their production pieces some times fall short of the prototypes, the idea of a NRD is almost insulting, because they're asking you to pay 10% to secure your order without even being remotely close to seeing the actual final product.

And what if they had the NRD in place back in the day of the Boba Fett PF, which was priced as a polystone piece and then was quietly announced last minute to be much cheaper plastic? You think I went mental on them then when I was able to just cancel... :lol

Last edited:
As the supplying business the onus is on Sideshow to:

1) Make quality products people want;
2) Price them reasonably;
3) Keep Edition Sizes in check so as not to over-saturate the demand

If they did that consistently, I guarantee you the NRD would never have been necessary. Now it's the customers and collectors who are literally having to pay for Sideshow sometimes over-producing stuff, missing the mark on quality, or offering items no one really wants. And for making stuff in polystone (like 1:6 environments) that could be made much more affordably from other materials while looking just as nice (this is where they fail on pricing half the time).

This Cobra Commander PF almost surely failed at #3 above.

I think instead of 500, maybe 250 for the EX. Like the Rambo one.

It's certainly a delicate balancing act that Sideshow has on their plate. Sometimes they're just gonna produce stuff they think will fly, but it won't. That is the risk of running any business. I just wish they'd mitigate the risk by fine-tuning their decisions and internal business model instead of passing the buck on to us.

And considering their production pieces some times fall short of the prototypes, the idea of a NRD is almost insulting, because they're asking you to pay 10% to secure your order without even being remotely close to seeing the actual final product.

And what if they had the NRD in place back in the day of the Boba Fett PF, which was priced as a polystone piece and then was quietly announced last minute to be much cheaper plastic? You think I went mental on them then when I was able to just cancel... :lol

Yeah, they've had some choices I didn't care for but like you said thats gonna happen. However, I do blame the collectors as much as anyone for ordering everything because they can. Hell, I did that a few times myself.

There is some risk but I don't feel its anything outside of what I'm willing to risk to get these items. I do feel the NRD will help make sure SS continues to get better in all phases and make collectors be better because they will have to show some self restraint.

I would say if we had it back then some pieces would have turned out better and ES smaller.

I think you guys are assuming if something doesn't sell out as a preorder the ES is too big.

I would say if they have stock a year after release then they may have set the ES size too high.

I think you guys are assuming if something doesn't sell out as a preorder the ES is too big.

I would say if they have stock a year after release then they may have set the ES size too high.

It's not just that. There is frame of reference based upon previous sales of Sideshow products.

Sure, this PF may sell out at some point. Or it can be available forever, like Rambo, Mola Ram, etc. We don't know that yet. But if you gauge this (and its lack of Wait List at this point) with other Sideshow JOE products and other Exclusive PFs it's pretty safe to say that the Edition Size was too large.

I don't like nrd, but it does make me rethink what I order, it has to be something I have to have and usually put it on flexpay.

It's not just that. There is frame of reference based upon previous sales of Sideshow products.

Sure, this PF may sell out at some point. Or it can be available forever, like Rambo, Mola Ram, etc. We don't know that yet. But if you gauge this (and its lack of Wait List at this point) with other Sideshow JOE products and other Exclusive PFs it's pretty safe to say that the Edition Size was too large.

And like Mola Ram, who I think is one of their best ever PFs, a quality statue is there in Cobra Commander. It's just they are prolly offering to many and a bit of what I posted earlier, Joe fans are figure fans.

Not all Joe's fans are action figure fans...;)

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that feels this way either, just the most outspoken...:)

Congratulations. You are the equivalent of a Batman fan who doesn't like comic books.

Which is okay. Just don't expect your opinion to carry a ton of weight with those who actually appreciate the original source material and the heart of a brand.

If they'd make CC PF pink he'd of sold lights out :lecture

100% agreed.

But but Heath Ledger isn't in those bewks.

image.php

Congratulations. You are the equivalent of a Batman fan who doesn't like comic books.

Which is okay. Just don't expect your opinion to carry a ton of weight with those who actually appreciate the original source material and the heart of a brand.

Yeah, that makes no sense at all. Folks gotta read the comics they kick ass.

The thing is its more of can those that don't care for where things started be respectful of those that do collect them.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that feels this way either, just the most outspoken...:)

Yeah, I tried to like the 1/6 but it didn't do it for me. My personal Joe preference is the comics, well original ARAH Marvel run anyway, and I am currently building my CGC collection of them. The CC will be my one PF surrounded by the comics in rotation of display.

So there can be variations on how we collect! :lol

Only recently, PF's of Jack Sparrow and ToD Indy have sold out. I think it's the number of units available, is the EX worth it (also the EX can't be bought by stores to resale), and the economy. I think all of that is causing slower sales...of course the Gimli PF EX sales out in a week and I have no clue. I have 3 PF's and can't imagine buying a couple each year as I'd run out of room. CC will be my 4th and perhaps my first I immediately sale.

Yeah, I tried to like the 1/6 but it didn't do it for me. My personal Joe preference is the comics, well original ARAH Marvel run anyway, and I am currently building my CGC collection of them. The CC will be my one PF surrounded by the comics in rotation of display.

So there can be variations on how we collect! :lol

Anything with Larry Hama involved. I have nearly the complete Marvel 1982 series, with maybe 20 missing. I like them but they will be going sometime soon up on ebay.

Only recently, PF's of Jack Sparrow and ToD Indy have sold out. I think it's the number of units available, is the EX worth it (also the EX can't be bought by stores to resale), and the economy. I think all of that is causing slower sales...of course the Gimli PF EX sales out in a week and I have no clue. I have 3 PF's and can't imagine buying a couple each year as I'd run out of room. CC will be my 4th and perhaps my first I immediately sale.

Trust me, the Gimli maquette will be available when it actually ships.

Back