Cobra Throne Announced!--PREORDER NOW ON PAGE ONE!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, you guys, he looks more menacing on the throne. Sure they had CCC on the Throne at SDCC, but he looked dang good on it. Plus you have the troopers flanking the throne as body guards (until the Crimson Guards come that is). It will be a tight fit for me too, but I've got the room for it.

If you saw this in person, you'd have a real hard time canceling. That is the love/hate part of SDCC. You get first hand awesomeness!

See, IMO, no. That throne is hands down cooler than the Bradstreet Commander. From the menacing viper to the rungs on the steps, it completely takes away from Cobra Commander who it's supposed to emphasize. As for seeing it in person, doesn't matter, but the sheer size would likely be reinforcing my decision to cancel. I took down the measurements, cut a couple of dowels and stuck them together to see what kinda space I'd need. I'd lose an entire shelf of 1:6 for the throne. If the collection was going to be as sparce as Indy, I'd be all for it. But since I expect to have shelves loaded with Joes and Cobras, I'd rather have an equal display with the focal points being the leaders and, I know I'm pressing it, one entire case of Joes and one of Cobras.

Of course, as I said earlier, take this with a grain of salt if I see it for $120 on a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal. :lol

Nah, you guys, he looks more menacing on the throne. Sure they had CCC on the Throne at SDCC, but he looked dang good on it. Plus you have the troopers flanking the throne as body guards (until the Crimson Guards come that is). It will be a tight fit for me too, but I've got the room for it.

If you saw this in person, you'd have a real hard time canceling. That is the love/hate part of SDCC. You get first hand awesomeness!

anyone have SDCC pics of it posted somewhere?

When does this thing come out anyways?

Oh crap, I didn't think of that! I guess I need to pick one up, I like where your head is at kid. :lol

Word, this is how I felt about seeing Jabba in...2006? Or was it 2007?

I was totally the same way with Jabba. That was 2006 since the first time I went was bascially my "senior trip" and I graduated on 6-6--6. They still haven't topped Jabba as a jaw dropping piece at SDCC. 2007 was a total disapointment when they just had Bespin Luke and Illum Padme to show off. Vader was great for 2008 though. 2009 was another meh for Star Wars, but the Cobra Throne was sweet :rock

I was totally the same way with Jabba. That was 2006 since the first time I went was bascially my "senior trip" and I graduated on 6-6--6. They still haven't topped Jabba as a jaw dropping piece at SDCC. 2007 was a total disapointment when they just had Bespin Luke and Illum Padme to show off. Vader was great for 2008 though. 2009 was another meh for Star Wars, but the Cobra Throne was sweet :rock

You are right on the money Buttmunch.

anyone have SDCC pics of it posted somewhere?

When does this thing come out anyways?

Got a few! Here you Go!

Comicon_2009_017.jpg

Comicon_2009_016.jpg

Comicon_2009_015.jpg

Comicon_2009_011.jpg

Comicon_2009_014.jpg

A lot of times, when people discuss the price of these dio bases, rarely are they factoring in shipping. The HT Powerloader MSRPed at like 250, but it wasn't generally 250 out the door, shipping at that time was probably 20 bucks.

Apparently these bases are heavy as hell to boot. I gotta wonder if the best way to grab these are at shows ( if people are lucky enough to be geographically close to a show)

Those that are worried can simply have their local comic book shop order them. Most have a link to Sideshow and you're more likely to nab these at a retailer discount (usually like 10%) and save on shipping.

Those that are worried can simply have their local comic book shop order them. Most have a link to Sideshow and you're more likely to nab these at a retailer discount (usually like 10%) and save on shipping.

Those lucky enough to have a decent comic book store near them to do it.

i don't see how bad it can be. the $130 wall was only about $15 shipped and that thing was oversized and pretty heavy. i can see this one being about the same.

IIRC, SST did not make a Gimli for their LOTR line. If SST sold more of the existing LOTR figures they did make, I'm taking a guess Gimli could have been a better chance to have been made. But that didn't happen.

The formula isn't complex.

If you don't consider potentially everyone who might buy your product, there's a good chance your product doesn't sell as good as it might, then there's a good chance that your line will be cut short, where there's a good chance that more consumers will be hesitant to jump into a line because they think the brand will never complete it.

You can only leave fans hanging so many times before they decide the tease and pulling the football out from under Charlie Brown routine will keep working.

I want SST GI Joe to be a success, because it means they will keep making more. But I want it to be a success at the highest quality possible at the best bang for the buck. Some of you act like SST could do absolutely nothing at all to improve it's Joe line. There's always room to improve. It doesn't have to be my suggestions, but we as consumers will never get more until we demand more.

I think the majority here now, would agree that this is exactly what we're getting with the Joe line. When you compare the Indy in German Disguise with the Cobra Trooper, both were the same price, I think it's easy to see that we're not only getting considerably more quality with the Joe line, but handsdown, more accessories as well.

IIRC, SST did not make a Gimli for their LOTR line. If SST sold more of the existing LOTR figures they did make, I'm taking a guess Gimli could have been a better chance to have been made. But that didn't happen.

The formula isn't complex.

If you don't consider potentially everyone who might buy your product, there's a good chance your product doesn't sell as good as it might, then there's a good chance that your line will be cut short, where there's a good chance that more consumers will be hesitant to jump into a line because they think the brand will never complete it.

You can only leave fans hanging so many times before they decide the tease and pulling the football out from under Charlie Brown routine will keep working.

I want SST GI Joe to be a success, because it means they will keep making more. But I want it to be a success at the highest quality possible at the best bang for the buck. Some of you act like SST could do absolutely nothing at all to improve it's Joe line. There's always room to improve. It doesn't have to be my suggestions, but we as consumers will never get more until we demand more.

And that has what do to with the Cobra Throne and making it sell to military toy collectors?

damn that cobra throne looks good. wouldn't you say?

You can say that again!!!

If you like the line, I suspect you want it to remain viable and producing new product as long as possible.

If SST makes stuff that doesn't sell, or sell well as it could, we as consumers lose in the end. There's a difference between no interest period and no interest in what's offered. Gimli might have been made if SST made better choices across the board with their LOTR line.

This is not a good economy. People are leaving the hobby across multiple levels of interest. People are watching what they spend and focusing their hobby budgets. Everyone? Probably not. Quite a few? I'd say yes.

This is not an era like the dot com boom where there was money flowing out of the street.

There's a reason why multiple SST lines have died ( Buffy, POTA, LOTR, etc) with what some might consider prematurely. The common denominator in those cases is SST itself.

If people want to see a Scarlett RAH and she never materializes because SST kills the line one day, maybe folks ought to think to ask why that might happen. Or why it might have happened in the past.

You're ignoring EF's question though. Specifically, how could they have modified the COBRA THRONE to be more appealing to military collectors?

They couldn't. The Cobra Throne is pretty strickly a GI Joe or Snake Worshipper item.

Who asked you?! :p

MeatHook was asked a valid question by EF, based on a statement he made here in the Cobra Throne thread (say that fast 5 times). MM has been "spinning" his answers because, as we all know, he doesn't have one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think from the way Meathooks arguments are going that he is a hardcore military fan and not a hardcore gi joe fan..( maybe casual).

Firstly SST aren't trying to ( dont want to ) appeal to the hardcore military market. Could they? Yes! But they want to appeal to the G.I Joe market. I believe that they originally overestimated the size of the G.I. Joe market,based on the ES of SE and CC ( Which is still available). Since those figure their ES seems to have dropped by a 1000 all round and prices haven't really risen(Considering SE was 120).

Even with a smaller market they are still making figures for the Joe fans first. Every figure resembles their character with a unique look and accessories. Would hardcore military fans buy them, I doubt it. SE would look odd next to Swat member ver.1 and 2. And Duke would look even more out of place next to US Army Ranger and British military tank commander.

I understand where you're coming from when you say that the figures should come with more gear. Look at any modern military figures and the amount of gear they come with is astounding...too much IMO.
If the Joes came that loaded it would take away from their characters completely. They originally only had one o1 or 2 weapons and a backpack. To be fair I dont think SS needs a microphone headset with night vision mount,sunglasses, light sticks, compass etc...

Remember that these figures come with licensing fees so the price is understandable. All in all SSC is making G.I.Joe figures for Joe fans, no one else as evidenced by their decidion to revisit FFs camo head. If the hardcore military fan buys the odd Joe or cobra that he likes the look of like FF then good for them, which is good for the line, but SST is not going to lower the autenticity of the Joes for profits. At least not yet........

Also I have serious doubts about the females in this line. I imagine most collectors are in it for the Male figures. I know I am, but that could change.

Last edited:
Back