Current discount codes at SSC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Current discount codes at SSC and other random rumblings no June code yet

I do know that my local store only gives up to 8% off on Sideshow items even when there's a store-wide 20$ off everything.

I remember awhile back that I read that resellers weren't allowed to discount stuff more than 8%. But I don't know much about it and don't know if there are exceptions.

I don't think anyone (myself included) was saying Sideshow was being greedy or doesn't deserve to make profit.

You may not have said it, but this is a regular (daily) comment from so many other people (not expressly here in this thread, but others, as well as on FB). So many in fact that it's one of the things that prompted Budget Stark to film a video on this topic.

If you take a look at Sideshow's Threezero price difference, it's about $10 plus shipping versus a direct sale. I'm not saying they make $10, that's foolish - I'm just showing that the price versus direct is not an astronomically different. And AFAIK, Threezero distributes through Diamond.

Take Sideshow out of the picture and go look at store prices in Asia. Sideshow is just following industry norms. Do prices need to be higher when more hands are in the cookie jar? Absolutely. But without those hands, most manufacturers could never reach their audience.

Here's a fun one. How much do you think a $200 (sold in the US) retail figure costs to make in high volumes? My guess is close to $30. It would be very difficult (possibly impossible) to turn a profit if that were closer to $70 or 80. I'm talking bill of materials plus manufacturing here, not marketing, not shipping, not factoring R&D (which needs to be paid off with the profits).

Last edited:

Hands up who else left the driver's side window wide open in their cars this weekend? During the worst rain storm we've had all year, anyone? #notafunmorning

We very rarely have the windows down in Chicago. It's either hot, cold, or raining. I've done that though, sucks. :(

The clips that hold my window to the scissor-lifting mechanism have failed and I need to replace them, so I have to move the window up and down by hand by physically moving the glass - it may have slipped down on its own, but that would be the first time it's ever happened. Nonetheless, I have to get back to soaking up water with a fresh set of towels. The leather interior luckily beaded most of the water to the floor, but it's damn wet under the carpeting and it can only be pulled up so much to get underneath without taking the entire interior apart. Ugh.

Yeah, I"ve cleaned up any water that my shop vac would be able to grab - I had deep channel rubber mats which caught a lot of water. The door panel was already off on the driver's door so it was easy to clean. The surface of the carpets are now only damp, and the water that remains is underneath the carpet, soaked into the foam padding and/or sitting in the heavy rubber layer below that. Trying to find some fans now - I only had one and it's busted, so I'm reaching out to some friends, though most of them aren't home right now.

If the weather cooperates it should dry out in the open air, it'll just take a while. Good luck man. Hope the rest of your days goes better. :)

Got one fan going on it now inside a neighbor's garage - mine is too backed up with tools to move my car in right now. Will have another fan later this afternoon and a de-humidifier tonight. The rain isn't supposed to let up all week, but I'm counting on the weather reports being wrong. ;)

Got one fan going on it now inside a neighbor's garage - mine is too backed up with tools to move my car in right now. Will have another fan later this afternoon and a de-humidifier tonight. The rain isn't supposed to let up all week, but I'm counting on the weather reports being wrong. ;)

:lol No doubt!

I'm quite disappointed. It's June 8th and no one has asked if there's a new code yet.

I'm quite disappointed. It's June 8th and no one has asked if there's a new code yet.

I got tied up this weekend and today with a wet car, as I've been meaning to do it for days now. ;)

See the Marty Mcfly thread a week or so ago. Sideshow picks and chooses which figures to gouge for profit on shipping. Its maddening.
Marty cost me over $18 for shipping. I was a bit surprised at first, but then I shipped him to someone else, and it cost me $19.40. I know they get volume discounts, but still...

Their warehouse staff don't work for free.

Their warehouse staff don't work for free.

Should be part of the figure markup. Shipping for profit is bad business, period. Marty cost me $21.50 for the exclusive. You can buy the standard at a flat rate of $10. That is one "heavy" tiny guitar

Should be part of the figure markup.

I vehemently disagree with this. There are too many variables and it will only lead to higher product prices. This is not the norm in any industry nor retail business, regardless of what's being sold.

Shipping for profit is bad business, period.

They're not shipping for profit - this is a rarity anywhere. It's called shipping to break even at best. People are getting spoiled by Amazon.

I'm not defending any particular shipping charge on any particular item, but in my experience, based on (multiple of) my orders, it all works out in the end in my favor, and that's before using any monthly coupon.

In my own business, I charge more than postage for shipping and handling. Sometimes much more, and I make no apologies for that. Here are some particulars for my own process.

1. I have to buy shipping supplies - which I have to have shipped to me or go pick up somewhere (sometimes both)
2. It can take a SERIOUS amount of time preparing and packing fragile items
3. For faster deliveries and tracking service I have to use USPS, but I'm in Canada - so I have to process all my shipping online, but then drive my packages 30 minutes away to drop with a private courier who then trucks them to the US.
4. I break even at the postage level on some orders. On some other orders I lose a buck or two not including time or supplies. So when I make money on others, it helps to average everything out. In the end, I'm lucky to break even.

Last edited:
Back