David Ayer's Academy Award winning "Suicide Squad"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC's Suicide Squad movie

I've gotta say that while I desperately want all of these DC films to succeed, there's a part of me that hopes they all suck. I've got a finite plan in mind for my collection, and, if these movies turn out great, that throws everything out of whack. Particularly when you're dealing with teams and such.:lol

I've gotta say that while I desperately want all of these DC films to succeed, there's a part of me that hopes they all suck. I've got a finite plan in mind for my collection, and, if these movies turn out great, that throws everything out of whack. Particularly when you're dealing with teams and such.:lol

I'm kind of in the same boat. I've limited a lot of my collecting due to budget constraints but anything DC is going to be very hard to pass up. Unless the designs and movies suck. If a fair amount of them turn out good though it's going to be hard having to pick and choose.

It's pretty small. Most of the HT Batman stuff, a few custom figures, and some other movie icons from HT (Superman, Marty McFly, The Godfather).

As much as I love the Nolan films, the prospect of a 1/6th collection isn't really appealing to me, though. I'd probably forgo the armory and so forth in favor of the QS Batman (which is probably the next "backlog" release I go after once I've fulfilled my pre-orders).

I saw Fury the other day, and I loved it, but it was very brutal, and I got to thinking about Ayer's repertoire, and he's not made a film that wasn't full of, for lack of a better term, "hard 'R'" material. While I highly doubt it would be the case, it would be a neat way for DC to differentiate themselves from Marvel. With the focus being on villains, it wouldn't really have an impact on how their heroes were viewed, and they certainly haven't really made any concessions to make their films "family friendly," if MoS is any indication.

Another thing I was thinking about is how close this movie is. It's kind of weird to me that we'll probably have our first look, if not our trailer, before Batman V. Superman is out. This thing is only about a year and a half away, after all.

My thing is that R rating shouldn't be a problem. A lot of films are pretty much mild and get hit with the R. I mean these are people with micro bombs implanted due to insubordination. Can't see why they can't go R. I'll have to see Punisher's gross, but I'd imagine it did well except for the stories.

I would like it to be R, but I highly doubt it will be. They'll be selling this movie with the Joker. Everyone knows who the Joker is. And everyone will want to see how this Joker is different than Ledger. People won't be checking it out with their kids if its rated R. PG 13 is the money maker rating. WB took the chance on Watchmen with an R rating, but that's because they knew it wasn't a family targeted film. They don't want to alienate their core audience with the R rating.

That said, if they had the balls to make this R, they really could show just how different Leto's Joker will be from Ledger's. Especially if they end the film with him going all new 52 and having his face cut off. An R rated Joker could be very cool to watch, but I doubt WB would want to push such a key character into a territory he couldn't be used in a PG-13 Batman film in the same continuity again. If Joker is seriously messing people up in Suicide Squad, he'd feel watered down in a PG-13 film. Same with every member of the squad. You wouldn't be able to use them in other films without them feeling held back from what we've seen the capable of before. And if they want to make this a complete universe like Marvel, the characters will have to mesh well. That's partly why I don't think we've seen Marvel utilize the Punisher, for example, even though they have the rights back. He's an R rated character and wouldn't play well with the Avengers. Although that could make for interesting dialog between him and the Avengers.

I just wish WB would have had their TV shows in continuity with the films like Marvel is doing. Already established Green Arrow and Flash would have helped form the Justice League quicker. I'd even prefer Arrow's Deadshot to Will Smith.

No way is this R. They are not going to cancel out 1/2 their intended fan base.

Yeah but check the controversy that occurred after. People were angry at the fact it wasn't R because Joker had a vibe that was disturbing far more to children. In my theatre I saw maybe 9 kids leave because they felt intimidated by the Joker.

Also while it seems like this is intended for comic readers, I feel this will be a movie goers thing. I mean the ****ing title says Suicide, no way they will go PG-13 with a title like that. Even if that, the SS isn't a kid oriented film. I mean I get that kids see Joker in some animated Batman shows, but he isn't the original Kane Joker. This guy is a ****ing psychopath that kills people for the giggles. I mean he shoots a captain and is pissed because it wasn't funny enough. I mean those are the risks.

I mean check out Deadpool and Wolverine. Who knows how much people would enjoy/despise if they went R. Also check out marketing, you don't see X-Men toys or WB toys made unless it's Batman or Superman. It's because Marvel has to ensure that it can be caught to children of all ages and still appeal to adults. Fox doesn't have that risk, they should go R regardless of intended audience. I get people say, well how are kids going to watch it? With family! I don't think there is any home in my area where a child between 6-16 isn't watching Walking Dead. As long as they don't put sex/homosexuality, it will still hit it. Seems like Americans care more about sex than violence.

Plot Details from Latino Review

Spoiler Spoiler:

I hope WB is saying they aren't in works with their TV shows, to hope it will be a surprise. I like Arrow's Suicide Squad, and it won't really need an intro or origin story. Just get something going, and have them speak about back stories. No need to show how they get caught and so forth.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Unlike a lot of supposed leaked plots, this actually sounds really cool. I'm getting more and mor excited for this movie the more I hear about it. Except the casting of Will Smith, so far that's the only thing I really dislike. But I'm hoping he surprises and keeps his mask on and isn't just Will Smith, as usual.

I hope WB is saying they aren't in works with their TV shows, to hope it will be a surprise. I like Arrow's Suicide Squad, and it won't really need an intro or origin story. Just get something going, and have them speak about back stories. No need to show how they get caught and so forth.

If that were true, Will Smith wouldn't be Deadshot. For the TV and films to be in sync with each other, they'd have to keep the same cast. Waller and Deadshot are already established on Arrow and neither are being reprised by their TV actors for this. If they did throw Arrow and Flash in a surprise, they'd have a lot of confused people with Suicide Squad cast.

Joker being a Hannibal Lecter is exactly what I figured he would be for this. He's not the kind that could be controlled with a bomb in his head. He's be even more dangerous! :lol

I just wish WB would have had their TV shows in continuity with the films like Marvel is doing. Already established Green Arrow and Flash would have helped form the Justice League quicker. I'd even prefer Arrow's Deadshot to Will Smith.

I would like that to happen, but then you have a bunch of TV actors then going after movie paychecks and that could hurt the shows.

I bet Harley Quinn and Deadshot do it.

I would like that to happen, but then you have a bunch of TV actors then going after movie paychecks and that could hurt the shows.

That's true, but I guess WB could always play hardball and just threaten to replace them if they do that. Stephen Amill has said he'd love to be the Green Arrow of the movies too and he really seems to enjoy what he has going for him so I don't really see him as the type that would pull that crap. I think he's as much of a fan as the rest of us. He did admit the logistics would be rough as the cross over episodes are difficult enough to pull off schedule wise.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Sounds really interesting, TBH. If teaser-trailer will blew my mind I may see this on a big screen afterall...

... but then you have a bunch of TV actors then going after movie paychecks and that could hurt the shows.
That'd also hurt the movies. Lots of painful to behold acting in those shows.

Back