David Ayer's Academy Award winning "Suicide Squad"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC's Suicide Squad movie

The more I think about it, the more I think it's not the fact that he has tattoos, so much as it is what the tattoos are. It's like some P.A. somewhere googled "low rider clown tattoo" and Ayer ran with the first ten stock images he delivered. If their version absolutely needed tattoos, I'd do something to show how ****ed up he is. Like a Robin tattoo that had "In Loving Memory," with the date he murdered him, or, hell, a Batman logo tramp stamp.:lol

It is Joker overload. Every tat is so e form of Joker reference that when all put together makes it feel like they're forcing it when his look should do that naturally

The more this picture is sinking in, I have two trains of thought:

1) The picture is meant to give a sense of the character. We have Leto, the Keith Flint haircut, and (I'm assuming) the perma-white skin. Those are the character's visual aspects. The rest of the picture is meant to be visually arresting, shocking, and discomfort-inducing. The tattoos are simply a cheat code to let viewers of the picture get an idea of his psychoses.

In the picture of Leto holding his phone, you can see the scar above the eye, but not the forehead or eye tattoos. Not saying they're definitely not there, but this is a minor Exhibit A for this argument.

2) This actually is what the Joker will look like. With the complete lack of any subtlety. Seriously, no matter how "CARRRR-AAAAZY" they want The Joker to read to audiences, having actual "ha ha ha"s tattooed on him is ****ing embarrassing. And "Damaged" on the forehead? Get the hell out of here.

I really, really hope it's the former. In this picture, Leto shows what I thought - visually, he can make a good Joker.

But if it's the latter, my expectations will be very low. It's like they took the absolute worst and most base aspects of the Azzarello Joker run, and stripped it of any meaning, leaving behind only the shock and superficial attention seeking.

I'm hoping that all the ink was added for that particular shoot and won't actually be in the film. It's been done quite a few times as a way to add buzzwords to celebrity covers.

one point to make is that they said he was supposed to be in jail for a long time or something like that right? I guess being in prison he did have time to sit around and get those done lol
but they shouldn't look so well done

The more this picture is sinking in, I have two trains of thought:

1) The picture is meant to give a sense of the character. We have Leto, the Keith Flint haircut, and (I'm assuming) the perma-white skin. Those are the character's visual aspects. The rest of the picture is meant to be visually arresting, shocking, and discomfort-inducing. The tattoos are simply a cheat code to let viewers of the picture get an idea of his psychoses.

In the picture of Leto holding his phone, you can see the scar above the eye, but not the forehead or eye tattoos. Not saying they're definitely not there, but this is a minor Exhibit A for this argument.

2) This actually is what the Joker will look like. With the complete lack of any subtlety. Seriously, no matter how "CARRRR-AAAAZY" they want The Joker to read to audiences, having actual "ha ha ha"s tattooed on him is ****ing embarrassing. And "Damaged" on the forehead? Get the hell out of here.

I really, really hope it's the former. In this picture, Leto shows what I thought - visually, he can make a good Joker.

But if it's the latter, my expectations will be very low. It's like they took the absolute worst and most base aspects of the Azzarello Joker run, and stripped it of any meaning, leaving behind only the shock and superficial attention seeking.

I hope that's the case, as well. It was similar with the first Ledger photo we got. The look we saw in that shadowy photo gave you an idea of what they were going for, but the final product was quite different. The lipstick wasn't quite as all over the place, the scars didn't seem so exaggerated, but the photo worked because it gave us a sense of atmosphere. Like I said, and like you said, I don't have a problem with The Joker having tattoos; just what the tattoos are. They really are like stock images.

Not a fan at all of the tattoos or the grill. Come on WB. Batman has been designed so well, but this Joker? What were they thinking?

batfan said it best, tats are ok, just not those, especially the forehead one.

like uncanny said, too forced.

but now that he's out with such a clear photo, isn't it too late for WB to change him, aren't they filming already.

this isn't some blurry photo of him.

if that's his final, yikes!

Well, like coke babies said, a promotional photo doesn't, necessarily, denote the final look. Obviously, it was to a lesser extent, because there was less exposure, but you could see that the first image of Ledger as The Joker seemed quite a bit different from the final version:

heath_ledger_as_the_joker.jpg

heath-ledger-joker-nurse-pictures-7115.jpg

Plus, I think it's important to examine the photo itself, as well as its construction. There's really nothing about this that screams "Suicide Squad." No set, no real sense of lighting, the cheap border; there's no atmosphere to it, and it seems like it could be nothing more than a costume test, if you look at it, objectively. Of course, it could just be that I'm in denial, but I'd much prefer the former.:lol

That's weird. I would've thought that DC wouldn't be caught dead with something from the Silver Age appearing in their "dark and gritty" universe, but, following yesterday's reveal, they just posted the first look at the Jokermobile:

Spoiler Spoiler:

There is nothing menacing about those tattoos, they had the opposite effect, I keep laughing at them. :lol

Oh well, his name is Joker so I guess it makes sense. :lol

Back