DC Animated The Dark Knight Returns

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably TDKR. But there are several great Batman stores over the years, including Long Halloween. But I'd rank these ahead of that:

The Dark Knight Returns
The Killing Joke
Kingdom Come (it counts :p )
Year One
Arkham Asylum (the Grant Morrison graphic novel)
The Man Who Laughs
Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?

Then I'd rank The Long Halloween

then..

The Cult
Death In The Family
Son of The Demon

and many more.

:hi5:

Yeah, solid list.

My order though (I think :lol)

The Long Halloween
Year One
The Dark Knight Returns
The Killing Joke
Arkham Asylum
Kingdom Come (if you insist on counting it :lol)
Dark Victory

There's a lot of good Batman stories, PERIOD.

I don't see how any Batman fan can think any one story, film, comic, graphic novel or episode can be considered the best or have a list of rankings. There's way too much.

Hell, we're in an animation topic, what about all the great Batman: The Animated Series episodes? Heart of Ice? Mad Love? Perchance to Dream? Robin's Reckoning?

Dark Victory is pretty good, too. As is Hush (though I find the latter a tad overrated). But bath pale in comparison to The Long Halloween. That was definitely Loeb's best Batman work.

Scott Snyder has been working on a great Batman resume with his recent stuff. The Black Mirror is great, as is Gates of Gotham (though it's Grayson as Batman). And the Court of Owls saga was cool. I can't wait to see what he has cooked up for Joker.

I'm still in search of this weird ass Elseworlds comic from the 90s. It was really weird ****.

It was like in the future, there was a Joker cult and a Bat demon that terrorized the city or something. I looked through it and was like "WTF is this?" I'm pretty familiar with the Elseworlds story where Kal-El is raised as Bruce Wayne, Gotham by Gaslight and others but this one continues to allude me.

There's a lot of good Batman stories, PERIOD.

I don't see how any Batman fan can think any one story, film, comic, graphic novel or episode can be considered the best or have a list of rankings. There's way too much.

Hell, we're in an animation topic, what about all the great Batman: The Animated Series episodes? Heart of Ice? Mad Love? Perchance to Dream? Robin's Reckoning?

No mention of "Almost Got 'Im"? FFUUUUUUUU !

:lol

You're right, though... there are tons of great Batman stories over the years. Really hard to pick absolutely one.

Hell, there are even a couple of episodes of Batman: The Brave and The Bold that I'd put on the list. No joke.

Those episodes are all great. I'd also put put Over the Edge, Showdown, Almost Got'Im, Joker's Favor, The Demon's Quest and The Demon Within as some of my favorites.

Dark Victory is pretty good, too. As is Hush (though I find the latter a tad overrated). But bath pale in comparison to The Long Halloween. That was definitely Loeb's best Batman work.

Scott Snyder has been working on a great Batman resume with his recent stuff. The Black Mirror is great, as is Gates of Gotham (though it's Grayson as Batman). And the Court of Owls saga was cool. I can't wait to see what he has cooked up for Joker.

Yeah I also enjoyed the Catwoman story When in Rome, in terms of Loeb/Sale work. Hush is definitely overrated, but I do love Jim Lee's artwork in there. Soft spot for me.
I actually stopped reading comics a couple years ago, found that my subscribed issues were piling up and going unread (around the time of Death of Batman etc.. must be a correlation between that and me spending more time on these boards obsessing over 1/6 accuracy :rotfl)

I've just recently picked up Batman 1-11 after hearing so much great stuff about Scott Snyder's work, so will delve into that soon.

I'm still in search of this weird ass Elseworlds comic from the 90s. It was really weird ****.

It was like in the future, there was a Joker cult and a Bat demon that terrorized the city or something. I looked through it and was like "WTF is this?" I'm pretty familiar with the Elseworlds story where Kal-El is raised as Bruce Wayne, Gotham by Gaslight and others but this one continues to allude me.

Was it "I, Joker"?

Ever read "ThrillKiller"? That's another wild alternate universe Batman tale.

Was it "I, Joker"?

Ever read "ThrillKiller"? That's another wild alternate universe Batman tale.

All I remember was that the protagonist wore Joker makeup and killed his wife/girlfriend saying "Clarity, Charity, whatever your name was".

That and a weird future demon Joker and Batman. This was early 90s.

It chaps my ass that Year 100 gets no love. Read it *****es! It's especially effective in the light of The Dark Knight Rises.

:goodpost: Great story and art from Paul Pope.

I just finished reading Hollywood Knight. Batman is an actor facing off against Jack "the Joker" Napier the evil head of Arkham Pictures.

Be careful. After you read it you're going to spend your life trying to convince Nolan to come back and do another final installment. Make sure you're ready for that commitment.

1313504952751.gif

I love Year 100. An amazing book!!! I was really surprised how great it was and not many people talk about it although I didnt really feel there was tons of connections to Nolan's stories. It's different.

Right now i'm reading Ed Brubaker's Gotham Central series and to me this is one of the best written "Batman related" series i have ever read. And if you want Nolan comparisons & inspriations, this is the one!!!

I have loved everything i have read by Brubaker :) His Catwoman series is amazing too.

I'm a huge Batman fan, but I've never read Year 100! I need to check that out.

Gotham Central is great! :rock

Back