DC Animated The Dark Knight Returns

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just re-read The Dark Knight Returns in anticipation of this movie coming out. Looking forward to seeing how they portray his "first" appearance.

I love Year 100. An amazing book!!! I was really surprised how great it was and not many people talk about it although I didnt really feel there was tons of connections to Nolan's stories. It's different.

Right now i'm reading Ed Brubaker's Gotham Central series and to me this is one of the best written "Batman related" series i have ever read. And if you want Nolan comparisons & inspriations, this is the one!!!

I have loved everything i have read by Brubaker :) His Catwoman series is amazing too.

There aren't any connections to the Nolan films but the entire concept of year 100 ties in perfectly with the way Nolan ended things in Rises.

The Long Halloween > Any other Batman story in any medium.

picture.php

:lol

The Long Halloween is definitley ONE of the best representations of Batman in any medium, I don't think I could quite put my finger on one I prefer above everything else.

m220488749.jpg

Dark Victory better than The Dark Knight Returns, Year One, The Killing Joke, Kingdom Come, Arkham Asylum et al?

hnnng.jpg1.jpeg

Id say long Halloween is probably one of the top, but to be honest I dont think there is a best ever in anything. I mean everyone loves the ones mentioned. Id rather put them into categories, like Long Halloween is one of the best year long stories told, best crime thriller kind of thing.

I cant stand Dark knight Returns/Strikes though. God knows why, I just struggle to get into them both.

The Dark Knight Strikes Again is pure poop. The fans and DC hounded Miller for years to make a sequel, so he finally did... and trolled them all, hard. I actually despise that it's printed along with TDKR in the Absolute Edition. I really feel its inclusion cheapens it.

I love Year 100. An amazing book!!! I was really surprised how great it was and not many people talk about it although I didnt really feel there was tons of connections to Nolan's stories. It's different.

Right now i'm reading Ed Brubaker's Gotham Central series and to me this is one of the best written "Batman related" series i have ever read. And if you want Nolan comparisons & inspriations, this is the one!!!

I have loved everything i have read by Brubaker :) His Catwoman series is amazing too.

Oh Gotham Central is GREAT. For sure. Definitely lots of fodder for the Nolan films yes.

So having read 40s-50s and 80s-present stuff, for me Long Halloween would easily be in my top 5. If theres somethng in the 60s-70s thats better, I'd love to know what it is:)

And there's so much in the Batman catalog, there's always something new to read and discover.

Off the top of my head for 70s stuff I'd recommend Strange Apparitions, Where Were You On The Night Batman Was Killed?, Tales of the Demon and The Joker's Five Way Revenge.

Strange Apparitions is awesome. Needs to be back in print. I believe this is the story arc that introduced Hugo Strange.

The Dark Knight Strikes Again is pure poop. The fans and DC hounded Miller for years to make a sequel, so he finally did... and trolled them all, hard. I actually despise that it's printed along with TDKR in the Absolute Edition. I really feel its inclusion cheapens it.

I hated TDKSA so much I didn't buy the last 2 parts

Strange Apparitions is awesome. Needs to be back in print. I believe this is the story arc that introduced Hugo Strange.

Reintroduced him actually. He "died" way back in 'Tec 46 and took a 37 year vacation.:lol

I didn't know SA was OOP. They should bring it back ASAP.

Reintroduced him actually. He "died" way back in 'Tec 46 and took a 37 year vacation.:lol

I didn't know SA was OOP. They should bring it back ASAP.

Most of it is reprinted in the new Marshall Rogers collection that's out, but not the Simonson issues with Thorne and introduction of Silver St. Cloud.

Year 100 is also OOP, but will be re-relased next year.

Strange Apparitions, and the Neal Adam's books, specifically #200 and #251, and the first Ras stuff is way better than most of the others listed in this thread so far. There's also great stories in LotDK series that I really think are some of the best. Prey, Venom, Gothic, Snow, are all good. I personally like most of Moench's stuff, even Knightfall better than TLH.

TLH is vastly overrated, IMO, the only bright spot being Sale's artwork. I thought Hush sucked too.

There's also great stories in LotDK series that I really think are some of the best. Prey, Venom, Gothic, Snow, are all good. I personally like most of Moench's stuff, even Knightfall better than TLH.

Legends of the Dark Knight was one of the best titles in comics history, let alone Batman history.

Legends of the Dark Knight was one of the best titles in comics history, let alone Batman history.

I bought all 214 issues, picked most of them up for 99p each all first prints, including Issue 13 which is Prey part 3 which hardly any copies got to the UK.

IMO if I had to define a run of comics, LOTDK is deffinitely one of the ultimate runs. From Shaman, Gothic, Prey, Venom, Turf, Feat of Clay, Conspiracy, Cold Case, faces, Choices, Terror, Snow.....

Just an amazing run of solid comics for what, 18 years!?

But ill disagree, Long Halloween definitely not overrated for me. What didn't you like about it? Im not a huge Hush fan either, but I thought it was a decent read.

I guess that's my biggest gripe really, its just 'decent.' The way a lot of (younger) readers gush over it you'd think it was the second coming. Sale's artwork is great, but the story just didn't do it for me. Kind of a disjointed mess of a story with a villain of the month flavor on top. I also didn't care for all the time focused on the different mobster characters. Half of it felt like a poor man's Scorsese picture. It wasn't bad at all, but nothing ground breaking either. Personally I thought Dark Victory was much better.

That said, I hope TDKR is better than the Year One movie. I'm in a cautiously optimistic mindset for this one.

I guess that's my biggest gripe really, its just 'decent.' The way a lot of (younger) readers gush over it you'd think it was the second coming. Sale's artwork is great, but the story just didn't do it for me. Kind of a disjointed mess of a story with a villain of the month flavor on top. I also didn't care for all the time focused on the different mobster characters. Half of it felt like a poor man's Scorsese picture. It wasn't bad at all, but nothing ground breaking either. Personally I thought Dark Victory was much better.

That said, I hope TDKR is better than the Year One movie. I'm in a cautiously optimistic mindset for this one.

I wasnt a fan of Hush either. I mean, i had it years ago and lost it, so i bought the bumper one, and I was really unimpressed.

I was thinking 'where the hell is this amazing tale thats often acclaimed to it'. I mean, even in the book, Hush isnt that great. I guess the reputation of the comic elevated the level at which I thought of Hush. But then I find alot of the super acclaimd books to be, well decent but nothing special. I mean call it Blasphemy, I love Killing Joke but I dont think it could be classed as the best ever novel. year one is great, I dont like Arkham Asylum, Hate Dark Knight Returns.

Infact, id go further and say that Ra's al ghul's stories are rubbish in the comics. Theres only Knightfall and Veritas Liberat thats decent for Bane. year 100 was rubbish and ill even say Gotham by Gaslight wasnt all that good.

I dont believe in a single greatest batman story really. I love the long halloween as a showcase of a crime thriller/detective story. Same with Cold Case, i adore that story. I cant say that XXXXX is the ultimate Batman story, because there are so many villains and aspects they have which make stories different. I love haunted Knight collection of Ghosts/Madness/Fears (again, Tim Sale/Jeph Loeb) which again is from Legends of the dark knight series.

Id pretty much stick my neck out and say LOTDK is a definitive run, and on those runs, they inspired Sale and Loeb as Haunted Knight was their first set of stories, which then lead to Long Halloween and Dark Victory. Year one inspired LOTDK, and year one is brilliant.

To be honest, im really impressed with The New 52 batman. Time scale aside, Court of the Owls and the aftermath upto yet have been brilliant. Detective comics has been a let down after the amazing Dollmaker intro, but Snyder taking on the Joker story for Batman issue 13? Holy ****so, its gonna be an amazing ride just going by the covers;

BM_Cv13_R1.jpg

bm_14_02.jpg

Back