Dexter: Resurrection (Michael C. Hall returns.. AGAIN)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike86

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
https://deadline.com/2024/07/michae...-resurrection-original-sin-series-1236024240/

So not many details yet but Michael C. Hall is somehow returning as Dexter yet again. The show is a follow-up to New Blood. Not sure if it’ll be the Harrison spinoff or somehow Dexter actually is returning.

Honestly has to be the most frustrating show of all time for me. At its highs it’s so good but then there’s such a drop off with not one, but two botched finales. Now whatever the hell this will be. I’m a sucker and will probably watch it but ugh..

https://deadline.com/2024/07/michae...-resurrection-original-sin-series-1236024240/

So not many details yet but Michael C. Hall is somehow returning as Dexter yet again. The show is a follow-up to New Blood. Not sure if it’ll be the Harrison spinoff or somehow Dexter actually is returning.

Honestly has to be the most frustrating show of all time for me. At its highs it’s so good but then there’s such a drop off with not one, but two botched finales. Now whatever the hell this will be. I’m a sucker and will probably watch it but ugh..

The article explains the premise of the show. It's a prequel. Michael C Hall provides the narration.

The 10-episode Original Sin is set in 1991 Miami and follows Dexter (Gibson), a student refining his killer skills with the help and support of his adoptive father Harry (Christian Slater). In his dad, he finds solace and understanding, especially as his bloodthirsty urges grow and can no longer be ignored. As his only confidant, Harry teaches Dexter a code that’s designed to help him find and kill people who deserve to die — all while avoiding getting caught by law enforcement. This is a particular challenge for young Dexter as he begins a forensics internship at the Miami Metro Police Department.

We already got all we needed to know, considering we had flashback scenes in the original series with Harry teaching Dexter about 'the Code'. So it seems redundant to me, but when has that ever stopped anyone?

everyone hates season 8 which I like. I enjoy it .
but I HATED season 9...... it was just not great. I really missed the Miami environment and I missed his coworkers. the original show had a great team. they were fun. I love Masuka so much.
season 9 was interesting but missing all the flavor.
I will NOT watch Harrison.

I don’t know to me season eight dropped the ball pretty hard. It felt like there should have been an investigation into the death of LaGuerta, but instead it’s not even really acknowledged other than the fact it’s driving Deb crazy. The rest of Miami Metro acts like it’s not a big thing and just moves about with their business.

That’s a lot of the problem with season eight to me. It feels like any other season only with a really lackluster big bad. Then killing off Deb felt like another bad decision.

The ending I actually surprisingly don’t hate as much as most do. To me Dexter ending up in isolation having lost everything actually works well. It’s a fitting punishment for the character.

New Blood was just so disappointing. The show comes back after a long time away with the promise of redemption but it’s just not very good.

The new setting is okay for a while but definitely is lacking compared to the Miami backdrop. Also Dexter acts out of character so often and makes stupid decisions constantly. Add in Angela is way too much of a super sleuth barely based on any true evidence and some retconning by the original show.

Then there’s the ending which is just garbage. Not because Dexter dies but the way it happens and everything leading up to it. It just felt cheap and rushed.

everyone hates season 8 which I like. I enjoy it .
but I HATED season 9...... it was just not great. I really missed the Miami environment and I missed his coworkers. the original show had a great team. they were fun. I love Masuka so much.
season 9 was interesting but missing all the flavor.
I will NOT watch Harrison.
Season 8 was the biggest abomination in TV history imo. After episode 4 of season 8, every single thing about the episodes that followed was terrible apart from the acting. New Blood was good until the rushed and terrible ending.

Season 8 was the biggest abomination in TV history imo. After episode 4 of season 8, every single thing about the episodes that followed was terrible apart from the acting. New Blood was good until the rushed and terrible ending.
well season 8 still felt Dexter. it still has Masuka. it still has the department.
I enjoyed seeing Dexter teach the young guy. I enjoyed when debra talked to the doctor lady. I enjoyed a lot of it ( yes the bad guy was ridiculous, but I loved every single scene with Dexter's "mother" the lady that Debra talked to)
I really enjoyed all the talks she has with Dexter.

new blood lacked any cool stuff, lacked interesting side characters. lacked the fun stuff from the earlier
Debra as his voice was terrible. the lady cop wasn't interesting. the villain wasn't that interesting. Harrison wasnt interesting

well season 8 still felt Dexter. it still has Masuka. it still has the department.
I enjoyed seeing Dexter teach the young guy. I enjoyed when debra talked to the doctor lady. I enjoyed a lot of it ( yes the bad guy was ridiculous, but I loved every single scene with Dexter's "mother" the lady that Debra talked to)
I really enjoyed all the talks she has with Dexter.

new blood lacked any cool stuff, lacked interesting side characters. lacked the fun stuff from the earlier
Debra as his voice was terrible. the lady cop wasn't interesting. the villain wasn't that interesting. Harrison wasnt interesting
Masuka took up screentime with that AWFUL daughter/stripper storyline. A complete waste of screentime in what was supposed to be the final season. Quinn and Batista's sister too, were absolutely useless. That Zack guy being a much more annoying retread of that Jeremy kid in season 1 wasted several episodes of story in a boring filler story. Dr Vogel was also absolutely useless, boring and a complete waste of time. Not to mention her very existence was a retcon and took away from the complexity of Harry Morgan's character.

Debra spiraling out of control in the first 4 episodes made sense for the first 4 episodes, and then she just suddenly got over it and was completely back to normal out of nowhere. Terrible writing. Laguerta's death wasn't investigated at all and forgot about almost instantly.

Dexter for some reason wore a pink shirt in almost every scene, and constantly did stupid as hell things like stand right outside of the diner window in a pink shirt staring at the serial killer he was hunting. Then Hannah came back. An absolutely horrendous character who's first sex scene with Dexter in season 7 was Dexter's "jump the shark" moment. Everything about her as a character, and how everyone (especially Dexter) acted around her was incredibly stupid and insulting, because they tried to force this terrible romance on us.

When she comes back we are treated to several episodes of boring terrible ridiculous writing including a long shot of Dexter's ass while they are screwing, Harrison turning into a full grown man when he falls over on a treadmill and Debra making dinner for and sharing a laugh with the serial killer who tried to murder her.

All I can say about the villain is he looked like Ryan Gosling, and he cut people's brains out. That's it. Then Debra gets shot in a REALLY dumb way in the EXACT place she got shot in season 4 and is fine, then suddenly has a blood clot off screen and is a vegetable. Then Dexter kills her and dumps her in the ocean like a bag of garbage. Then he leaves his infant son with a serial killer he's dating and somehow survives driving directly into a hurricane.

And then he's a lumberjack. Worst. Ending. Ever. Nothing about it felt even remotely like a final season. The writing was SO DUMB, SO BAD and just outright BORING. Scott Buck should never work again.

New Blood had a terrible rushed ending but it also had: much better writing than Scott Bucks, a more focused plot, a good villain, far more interesting characters than Hannah and Zack, some classic Dexter moments that even recaptured some of the feel of early seasons, etc.

Masuka took up screentime with that AWFUL daughter/stripper storyline. A complete waste of screentime in what was supposed to be the final season. Quinn and Batista's sister too, were absolutely useless. That Zack guy being a much more annoying retread of that Jeremy kid in season 1 wasted several episodes of story in a boring filler story. Dr Vogel was also absolutely useless, boring and a complete waste of time. Not to mention her very existence was a retcon and took away from the complexity of Harry Morgan's character.

Debra spiraling out of control in the first 4 episodes made sense for the first 4 episodes, and then she just suddenly got over it and was completely back to normal out of nowhere. Terrible writing. Laguerta's death wasn't investigated at all and forgot about almost instantly.

Dexter for some reason wore a pink shirt in almost every scene, and constantly did stupid as hell things like stand right outside of the diner window in a pink shirt staring at the serial killer he was hunting. Then Hannah came back. An absolutely horrendous character who's first sex scene with Dexter in season 7 was Dexter's "jump the shark" moment. Everything about her as a character, and how everyone (especially Dexter) acted around her was incredibly stupid and insulting, because they tried to force this terrible romance on us.

When she comes back we are treated to several episodes of boring terrible ridiculous writing including a long shot of Dexter's ass while they are screwing, Harrison turning into a full grown man when he falls over on a treadmill and Debra making dinner for and sharing a laugh with the serial killer who tried to murder her.

All I can say about the villain is he looked like Ryan Gosling, and he cut people's brains out. That's it. Then Debra gets shot in a REALLY dumb way in the EXACT place she got shot in season 4 and is fine, then suddenly has a blood clot off screen and is a vegetable. Then Dexter kills her and dumps her in the ocean like a bag of garbage. Then he leaves his infant son with a serial killer he's dating and somehow survives driving directly into a hurricane.

And then he's a lumberjack. Worst. Ending. Ever. Nothing about it felt even remotely like a final season. The writing was SO DUMB, SO BAD and just outright BORING. Scott Buck should never work again.

New Blood had a terrible rushed ending but it also had: much better writing than Scott Bucks, a more focused plot, a good villain, far more interesting characters than Hannah and Zack, some classic Dexter moments that even recaptured some of the feel of early seasons, etc.

Mad The Internet GIF by MOODMAN

I can accept all the criticisms of season 8. I won't even argue anything against them, it's all fully true. yes, but I still watch season 8 from time to time. I still enjoy seeing Dexter in those scenes.
you are right in how bad it gets, but it still Dexter.

new blood is a bore, it's boring. there's no energy. it's got better writing, it's got better dialogue.
but it's boring, like I said, none of those characters are interesting. at all. and Harrison shows up but it leads to nothing interesting. Harrison plot was just annoying.

season 9 is better written and I never feel like watching it again.

Mad The Internet GIF by MOODMAN

I can accept all the criticisms of season 8. I won't even argue anything against them, it's all fully true. yes, but I still watch season 8 from time to time. I still enjoy seeing Dexter in those scenes.
you are right in how bad it gets, but it still Dexter.

new blood is a bore, it's boring. there's no energy. it's got better writing, it's got better dialogue.
but it's boring, like I said, none of those characters are interesting. at all. and Harrison shows up but it leads to nothing interesting. Harrison plot was just annoying.

season 9 is better written and I never feel like watching it again.
New Blood is still Dexter. Its just Dexter in a new setting, which is refreshing if anything. The same setting gets old after almost 10 years. Sure, the supporting characters we knew for so long were also gone, but the ones that were still alive (Batista, Masuka, Quinn) did absolutely nothing interesting or important in season 8 anyway. Angela was more interesting than Hannah. Harrison was more interesting than Zack. And Kurt was damn sure more interesting than Ryan Gosling. There was more energy in one episode of New Blood than there was in the final 8 episodes of season 8 combined.
Season 1 Showtime GIF by Dexter

New Blood is still Dexter. Its just Dexter in a new setting, which is refreshing if anything. The same setting gets old after almost 10 years. Sure, the supporting characters we knew for so long were also gone, but the ones that were still alive (Batista, Masuka, Quinn) did absolutely nothing interesting or important in season 8 anyway. Angela was more interesting than Hannah. Harrison was more interesting than Zack. And Kurt was damn sure more interesting than Ryan Gosling. There was more energy in one episode of New Blood than there was in the final 8 episodes of season 8 combined.
Season 1 Showtime GIF by Dexter

I guess, I guess my opinion comes from the kind of Dexter show I enjoy.
Dexter was dark but had very funny moments. Dexter wasn't a comedy but it had dark funny humor, that's what I miss in the season 9.

the supporting cast was very important for me. they complimented Dexter. they were interesting. they were spicy. they kept it lively.
that's all gone in season 9. it's a huge hole in new blood.

also the csi law and order aspects of Dexter were interesting. that wasn't lost on me. I enjoyed seeing Dexter work the department. I liked seeing what cases they had to work with.

I enjoy Dexter's nerdy side. I enjoyed his day job. I enjoyed the department. I enjoyed Miami. I enjoyed the drama with Deb.

I enjoyed Harry as a voice ghost. I missed him a lot.

new blood, season 9, it felt like the NEBRASKA EPISODE of season 6. missing everything I mentioned.

I guess, I guess my opinion comes from the kind of Dexter show I enjoy.
Dexter was dark but had very funny moments. Dexter wasn't a comedy but it had dark funny humor, that's what I miss in the season 9.

the supporting cast was very important for me. they complimented Dexter. they were interesting. they were spicy. they kept it lively.
that's all gone in season 9. it's a huge hole in new blood.

also the csi law and order aspects of Dexter were interesting. that wasn't lost on me. I enjoyed seeing Dexter work the department. I liked seeing what cases they had to work with.

I enjoy Dexter's nerdy side. I enjoyed his day job. I enjoyed the department. I enjoyed Miami. I enjoyed the drama with Deb.

I enjoyed Harry as a voice ghost. I missed him a lot.

new blood, season 9, it felt like the NEBRASKA EPISODE of season 6. missing everything I mentioned.
It was gone in season 8. The season was boring as hell. New Blood didn't feel anything like Nebraska to me. Felt more like Dexter than season 8, in that Dexter actually acted like Dexter and not a character I barely recognised like in season 8.

It was gone in season 8. The season was boring as hell. New Blood didn't feel anything like Nebraska to me. Felt more like Dexter than season 8, in that Dexter actually acted like Dexter and not a character I barely recognised like in season 8.
but new blood ended in a horrible way too. Harrison was really awful and the plot with him was really bad. the Harrison stuff in new blood was just as bad as season 8. it was a big mess

but new blood ended in a horrible way too. Harrison was really awful and the plot with him was really bad. the Harrison stuff in new blood was just as bad as season 8. it was a big mess
New Blood ended in a rushed and terrible way in the last half of the final episode, but the season itself went at a good pace and was FAR better than season 8. Harrison was fine. He was kind of a dick to Dexter, but who can blame him?? Dexter literally got his mom murdered, abandoned him and left him with a serial killer, who then also died. People only truly hate him now because he killed Dexter at the end.

New Blood ended in a rushed and terrible way in the last half of the final episode, but the season itself went at a good pace and was FAR better than season 8. Harrison was fine. He was kind of a dick to Dexter, but who can blame him?? Dexter literally got his mom murdered, abandoned him and left him with a serial killer, who then also died. People only truly hate him now because he killed Dexter at the end.
oh I don't mind that Harrison was awful to Dexter or that he killed him. no I didn't mind . that was ok.

I hated all the teen drama stuff and Dexter hanging out with that girl. I wanted the season to be about Harrison with Dexter. I actually wanted them to deal with stuff together.
but the season wastes so much time with Harrison. they don't even do anything that good with him.

Back