Director Tony Scott dead in apparent suicide

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So long as everybody understands. If they don't, you've closed the book on them even trying. Which is something they'll carry around forever, wondering if they could've done something differently, or at the very least, wishing they could've said goodbye. This is considerably more crucial when children are involved given the scar it can leave on their psyche.

I am not sure what there is to understand. He was dying. I think it takes more courage to go out like that and not let your loved ones see you suffer. Death is devastating on loved ones...whether they go out quickly or if they are suffering a long terminal illness. I still would rather have them go out quickly than ever suffer. I think most loved ones would understand that.

And yes it would have been nice for the family to have said goodbyes. But seriously, how often does that happen with suicides?

I am not sure what there is to understand. He was dying. I think it takes more courage to go out like that and not let your loved ones see you suffer. Death is devastating on loved ones...whether they go out quickly or if they are suffering a long terminal illness. I still would rather have them go out quickly than ever suffer. I think most loved ones would understand that.

And yes it would have been nice for the family to have said goodbyes. But seriously, how often does that happen with suicides?

We're gonna agree to disagree here. Suicide is 100% weak and selfish IMHO. It's the ultimate copout. It gives little respect to loved ones and zero respect to those who have to clean up after it.

My wife and I debate this from time to time. Her Mom came home and found her dad dead in his chair from a heart attack. My dad went from cancer in about 8 weeks.

With my dad we had time to say our goodbyes but we had to watch him suffer and more importantly he suffered. Julie never got to say goodbye but has peace in knowing her dad went quick.

We're gonna agree to disagree here. Suicide is 100% weak and selfish IMHO. It's the ultimate copout. It gives little respect to loved ones and zero respect to those who have to clean up after it.

I'm all for assisted suicide. Then people wouldn't have to do this. Millions of dollars would be saved as well. Wasted dollars in insurance money being spent on prolonging lives. Talk about a way to control healthcare costs and help people out at the same time.

Yes wanting your loved one to wither away and be in horrendous pain so you can have closure is not selfish at all.

I will never judge a person in that position. And until anyone here gets told they have an inoperable cancer and they are gonna die, they shouldn't either.

Gotta leave this thread forever now before the interwebz makes me angry.

Yes wanting your loved one to wither away and be in horrendous pain so you can have closure is not selfish at all.

There's no amount of pain in the world that would make me not want to spend my last moments with my children. Them wanting the same isn't selfish at all. It's all part of the bond shared by a parent and their children.

There's no amount of pain in the world that would make me not want to spend my last moments with my children. Them wanting the same isn't selfish at all. It's all part of the bond shared by a parent and their children.

Well as you said, we will have to agree to disagree. I would never want to see my parents suffer and would not hold it against them if they committed suicide.

Really sad news... he did some great films...
I've also thought about this kind of thing a lot... I saw both my Granddads suffer a lot, for a long time before dying, and it's definitely an awful way to go...
I agree that suicide is an extreme situation, but there's some cases in which there's really not a whole lot of options...

Sad situation. Not a fan of suicide, but also not a fan of suffering, or going through extreme measures to keep yourself just barely alive.

Grey area.

Yeah, ****ty situation all around. I feel sorry for him and his family. Inoperable brain cancer, man that sucks.

I have had family members that are near and dear to me die from cancer. A lot of us have seen our loved ones wither and waste away. I'm not going to say what Mr. Scott did here was a cop out (it's not like other suicides where people do themselves in because they're depressed), but I have witnessed people fighting to the bitter end. Yeah, you know you're going to go but, hell, I don't know. My Grandmother knew she was done but she did put up a helluva a fight which was admirable. Still tried to make light of it even when no amount of morphine was going to help.

Like Prog said, grey area. Cancer sucks.

^ It does. If you were going to die. Then perhaps that was the way to go.

Maybe he did say goodbye. We never know.

On a another note, I wish Fox News and all it's nasty heartless ****ers would get sucked into a black hole of doom. They truly are the worst people on TV.

This is the second nasty inappropriate comment they made after a death. Sick.

On a another note, I wish Fox News and all it's nasty heartless ****ers would get sucked into a black hole of doom. They truly are the worst people on TV.

If he said goodbye....then he did good...

But he probably didn't. He left a note.

But I don't know. I'll give anyone suicide for something like that. It's the only answer I can accept for such a selfish horrible thing.

Well as you said, we will have to agree to disagree. I would never want to see my parents suffer and would not hold it against them if they committed suicide.

my mother died from a brain tumor.
She made the conscious decision to not undergo major brain surgery to try to remove major portions of it for fear of damaging areas that have major impact on motor-skills. She chose instead to ride it out and enjoy her last 6 months enjoying quality time with the family. She didnt want to herself nor her family to suffer through the drawn out process of fighting it and the slow, torturous decline she would inevitably go through.
...... there are many hardcore dumbasses in this world who would consider that suicide as well for not choosing to fight it. Several of her doctors/surgeons attended the funeral (which I was specifically told they never do) because they viewed her personality, faith and decision to forego the major surgery as one of the most courageous/strong things they had seen... :monkey1

What're the alleged comments?
Links?

my mother died from a brain tumor.
She made the conscious decision to not undergo major brain surgery to try to remove major portions of it for fear of damaging areas that have major impact on motor-skills. She chose instead to ride it out and enjoy her last 6 months enjoying quality time with the family. She didnt want to herself nor her family to suffer through the drawn out process of fighting it and the slow, torturous decline she would inevitably go through.
...... there are many hardcore dumbasses in this world who would consider that suicide as well for not choosing to fight it. Several of her doctors/surgeons attended the funeral (which I was specifically told they never do) because they viewed her personality, faith and decision to forego the major surgery as one of the most courageous/strong things they had seen... :monkey1

That was very courageous of your mother and she did things on her terms. It was a smart move. My Grandmother on my mom's side had a brain tumor as well. She had it removed and spent the last seven years of her life completely paralyzed. She couldn't talk, eat, move her limbs, anything. She had to have someone do everything for her. It was terribly sad. We think she understood us when we talked to her....but there was never any response.

Back