Director Tony Scott dead in apparent suicide

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's HIS life, not his wife's or his kid's. If a person wants to go, let him go, no one has the right to stop them. Why do people have to make things about them instead of the person taking his life? Selfish is making someone stay here against their will. Force someone to live an unhappy life for the sake of others. I always felt we should offer help and support to those contemplating suicide but that in the end, it's their decision. Not to mention, that if anything, taking your own life is probably one of the bravest things a person can do. Jumping out of a bridge for example, takes balls. Not knowing whats on the other side and all... scary. Indeed, it's not a decision one can make easily.

With all that said, sad news about Tony Scott :( .A lot of new sources mention how much more successful his brother is, almost as if they are suggesting that's why he took his life. This is the title of one FoxNews story: "Tony Scott had several blockbuster hits, but never matched brother Ridley Scott's critical success"

Tasteless... :monkey4
There's a lot that goes into these decisions, and they often involve some form of mental illness, so you never want to simplify things too much. But, I don't agree with your post in the sense that you don't take into account the responsibility you take on when you have a child. I don't think folks' owe much to the people they have relationships with in general, but if you make the decisions that lead to having a child or children, and they are relying on you for something, then suicide is pretty damn selfish IMO. Of course, Tony was an older guy, and if he had any children I'm sure they were older, but I figure you've still got some level of responsibility to your kids no matter how old you are.

If you disagree, then the logical extension is that you don't owe much to the children you bring into this world in general because it's all about yourself, and that's a POV I just can't ever understand, though plenty of people seem to think this way based on how they deal with (or rather, fail to deal with) their kids.

There is only one Clarence. Cops don't like him. So he don't like cops.

clarencebodickerwithhissmugface.jpg

Love it. Says it all really.

Chris Rock ‏(@chrisrock)
Tony Scott director of my favorite movie man on fire. ” I wish you had more time ”

There's a lot that goes into these decisions, and they often involve some form of mental illness, so you never want to simplify things too much. But, I don't agree with your post in the sense that you don't take into account the responsibility you take on when you have a child. I don't think folks' owe much to the people they have relationships with in general, but if you make the decisions that lead to having a child or children, and they are relying on you for something, then suicide is pretty damn selfish IMO. Of course, Tony was an older guy, and if he had any children I'm sure they were older, but I figure you've still got some level of responsibility to your kids no matter how old you are.

If you disagree, then the logical extension is that you don't owe much to the children you bring into this world in general because it's all about yourself, and that's a POV I just can't ever understand, though plenty of people seem to think this way based on how they deal with (or rather, fail to deal with) their kids.

:lecture:lecture:lecture :exactly::goodpost:

Speculation is that he had inoperable brain cancer. Can't blame the guy for going out the way he did rather than letting his family see him suffer and wither away.

I dont agree with that. I would never want to see a loved one suffer. Let them go out the way they want. He left letters for his family and i am sure they know better than anyone here what he was going through.

Speculation is that he had inoperable brain cancer. Can't blame the guy for going out the way he did rather than letting his family see him suffer and wither away.

I agree, wasting away isn't how I'd want to go out. I don't blame him.

I dont agree with that. I would never want to see a loved one suffer. Let them go out the way they want. He left letters for his family and i am sure they know better than anyone here what he was going through.

So long as everybody understands. If they don't, you've closed the book on them even trying. Which is something they'll carry around forever, wondering if they could've done something differently, or at the very least, wishing they could've said goodbye. This is considerably more crucial when children are involved given the scar it can leave on their psyche.

If that's true, good for him. I watched my Dad die from brain cancer. I would have rather him jumped off a bridge. Of course I would have wanted him to tell me first and not write me a letter, but still.....bridge jump > brain cancer.

I agree, wasting away isn't how I'd want to go out. I don't blame him.

I wouldn't either nor would I want any loved one suffering so I can have some closure. I'll have my closure and be more at peace knowing they died on their terms.

Nice sig. Man on Fire is one of my favorites of Tony Scott's. Such an emotional and beautiful film.

How and why would you go about telling someone you're going to jump off a bridge if you genuinely wanted to do it ?.

If that's true, good for him. I watched my Dad die from brain cancer. I would have rather him jumped off a bridge. Of course I would have wanted him to tell me first and not write me a letter, but still.....bridge jump > brain cancer.

I'm with you. Watching a 180 pound man melt away in the matter of a few weeks to nothing is pretty much as bad as it gets.

How and why would you go about telling someone you're going to jump off a bridge if you genuinely wanted to do it ?.

They have these new fangled devices called mobile phones. Or I hear there is even pieces of lead in between wood that you are able to write shat down with. :clap

That said my respect for Mr. Scott has risen. Way to not let cancer make you it's *****. Yes I understand he died anyways but he didn't suffer and went out on his own terms. I maintain that Dr. Jack wasn't all that crazy and in fact REALLY helped people.

Back