Doctor Who - Spoilers!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So now will the companion be male? Or will they keep this up and have the show be all female?

Bill is being resurrected..so it will be all girlie action in the lovely new pink tardis..

Wouldn't surprise me (although admittedly one of my most favorite ever companions was male - Jamie). Yep instead of a 'boyfriend' doctor there will now be a 'girlfriend' doctor - either way. Hated that element of Ten and Eleven's run and could totally see it resurfacing here.

Absolutely! Would love to see a new incarnation of the Rani...but the way things are heading with all this 'gender bending' nonsense..it's more than likely a man will be cast in that role...oh and Susan is now Sean the dr's grandson and Romana now goes by the name of Fred..

:lol :lol

Sanctuary with Amanda Tapping, Relic Hunter with Tia Carrere, Nikita with Peta Wilson & the more recent Nikita, Charmed

All shows with strong female leads, I'm sure there are more, I just haven't seen all of them. If you want a female lead watch shows that already have one, instead of demanding other shows to bend to your interests.

I bet many so called feminists don't even know these shows exist because they were too busy hating on the male leads in other shows.

Well I've been calling for The Rani, a regenerated Susan and Romana to appear since the program came back...so i'm at a loss to understand how i'm sexist. That's three uber strong female characters, all an equal to the Doctor...

Well, *I* didn't call anyone sexist. And I would have no problem with these 3 characters returning.

Sanctuary with Amanda Tapping, Relic Hunter with Tia Carrere, Nikita with Peta Wilson & the more recent Nikita, Charmed

All shows with strong female leads, I'm sure there are more, I just haven't seen all of them. If you want a female lead watch shows that already have one, instead of demanding other shows to bend to your interests.

I bet many so called feminists don't even know these shows exist because they were too busy hating on the male leads in other shows.

Well, *I* didn't call anyone sexist. And I would have no problem with these 3 characters returning.

Agree and it's saddening...Unfortunately Dr who is the only british fantasy show and a bigger worldwide franchise than any of the one's you've listed so it was always going to be targeted by the PC mob..

I wasn't saying you did, just saying you weren't alone in being called a sexist.

Just a taste of Jodie Whittaker's acting. Clip is from Broadchurch. Be warned, she's playing pregnant.

Opinions?

I've seen her in a few things as well as Broadchurch..Bland,dull run of the mill actress at best!
That's all I know her from and. . .I can't disagree with you here :lol But then, that seems to have been the same criteria used to cast the vast majority of the male doctors, so it should all work out fine.

:chase

Seriously though, change is tough, but sometimes good. I hope it works out well and that the fans get behind it.

I have a hard time picturing someone taking over a franchise like Doctor Who and giving them main job to someone just because they were buds.

Well if she wants be the Doctor, she'll have to put off scenes like these.

We shall see.

I think we'll have to disagree on this point. Sorry, not that it isn't a valid point of view - it's just, having grown up with the peculiar experimental brand of the show that existed during the Great hiatus, I just can never agree with him being the point of view character. (And given that Chibnall is part of the old guard that were around in that era, I suspect he's of a similar mind.) That role was always the companions, The Doctor in the novels, and in much of the show (Tom Baker, McCoy, McGann and Troughton eras especially), has been the mysterious fae trickster with Orange and Blue morality far more often than most people seem willing to acknowledge.

Urgh how to put this... Its almost akin to arguing that Loki should be always Tom Hiddleston because that's how it's always been and we don't want to upset the current fans, ignoring that the archetypes of the character are far far more complex (and interesting) than the stuff shown in the films, or even the comics, involving graphic disturbing imagery, and reflecting a social code and order that we find abhorrent these days. (Sif's hair and how Sleipnir was sired for instance, or Loki's children being tricked into entrapment) The character isn't at all relevant to modern society surely, and yet he's one of the most fascinating that the MCU have produced - I suspect much of that is leakage from the darkness of the much much older tales that spawned the character in the first place. I'm desperately hoping that Chibnall will take similar inspiration from the strange and fantastical 90s era of the show - an era that spawned the still talked about two-parter Human Nature/Family of Blood. If the show can recapture some of that twisted approach to its storytelling I'll be overjoyed.

The story almost demands that we take the thing in as interesting a direction as we can push it given the Saturday tea time time slot

I just think its impossible to say that the Doctor, ultimately being a product of human society does not reflect the values of whatever society writes him.

We can defend this choice saying that he's an Alien or a Time Lord or whatever so of course typical human norms don't apply to him; but its not really all that alien when he is just demonstrates whatever progressive yet still more or less accepted values our culture holds. It certainly is no coincidence that there has been a big push on the gender fluidity and pansexuality of Time Lords in the show right at the same time its become a hot button topic in society.

I just think that while its a convenient argument to justify things like this with, the "He's an Alien" defense wouldn't hold up so well if the doctor were revealed to have some quality which actually violated our cultural mores. (For example if he were a Pedophile)

Last edited:
if hes an alien why does he have to be human? why cant he become a real version of a furry? like a talking giant tiger or a gorilla?

Back