Dune Part Two (October 20th, 2023)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This movie was trash imo. I despised the first one and this one was somehow worse. I will not be wasting another moment of my life on the final film. I'll stick to the original movie from the 80's. I do not understand what folks see in this but at least someone is enjoying them, I guess.

This movie was trash imo. I despised the first one and this one was somehow worse. I will not be wasting another moment of my life on the final film. I'll stick to the original movie from the 80's. I do not understand what folks see in this but at least someone is enjoying them, I guess.
You enjoy the 1984 movie, you're one to talk :lol.

Why even watch it if you didn't like the first part :lol.

I'm curious, what didn't you like about them?

Had Dune 1 and 2 made Chani be more relatable and charismatic instead of “strong woman” messaging and also had an epic battle at the end both movies combined would’ve been masterpieces!

As is, super flawed and ultimately unfulfilling.

Had Dune 1 and 2 made Chani be more relatable and charismatic instead of “strong woman” messaging and also had an epic battle at the end both movies combined would’ve been masterpieces!

Sad but true.

Despite the jaw-dropping technical aspects of the film I don't enjoy the journey (largely because of Chani) nor do I enjoy the lackluster finale. So what's the point of ever investing 5+ hours of my time to revisit them?

It's crazy to me to come here 4 months after the movie discussion was heavily going on and talk about how "trash" a movie was that was one of the highest grossing and well received movies of the year, even panned as one of the best sequels ever made in some cases. (And I personally didn't even like it as much as the first, though I did enjoy it overall.)

It's just that when I don't like something I just go, "well that sucks" and go about my day.

Different mindsets I guess.

It's crazy to me to come here 4 months after the movie discussion was heavily going on and talk about how "trash" a movie was that was one of the highest grossing and well received movies of the year, even panned as one of the best sequels ever made in some cases. (And I personally didn't even like it as much as the first, though I did enjoy it overall.)

It's just that when I don't like something I just go, "well that sucks" and go about my day.

Different mindsets I guess.
Box office success does not equate to a enjoyable film for everyone. It just means people paid to go see it in theaters.

And I'm not crapping on anyone who enjoyed it.

But to say that you just "go on about your day" seems a bit disingenuous here. I watched it. I hated it. I publicly stated it.

You read my comment, you didn't agree or disliked it, and here you are telling the world how crazy that is to you.

That's not exactly going on about your day.

As an adaptation of Dune both parts 1 and 2 were sorely lacking.
As an OK watchable sci fi movies they were OK.
For me Lynch’s version flawed as it was, was far closer to the books and a more unique, interesting and beautiful movie.

Box office success does not equate to a enjoyable film for everyone. It just means people paid to go see it in theaters.

And I'm not crapping on anyone who enjoyed it.

But to say that you just "go on about your day" seems a bit disingenuous here. I watched it. I hated it. I publicly stated it.

You read my comment, you didn't agree or disliked it, and here you are telling the world how crazy that is to you.

That's not exactly going on about your day.
The going about my day isn't about the comment, it's that the movie was so terrible that it made you come here 4 months after the main discussion to state how much you hated it.

I don't know, it just felt like you came here to trash something, you didn't really provide any context or feedback in the initial post, other than that you hated the first one too.

It just didn't feel like you were opening up a discussion.

That's what I meant by my going about my day, I don't see a reason to come be hateful for the sake of it.

As an adaptation of Dune both parts 1 and 2 were sorely lacking.
As an OK watchable sci fi movies they were OK.
For me Lynch’s version flawed as it was, was far closer to the books and a more unique, interesting and beautiful movie.
IMG_8711.gif

The going about my day isn't about the comment, it's that the movie was so terrible that it made you come here 4 months after the main discussion to state how much you hated it.

I don't know, it just felt like you came here to trash something, you didn't really provide any context or feedback in the initial post, other than that you hated the first one too.

It just didn't feel like you were opening up a discussion.

That's what I meant by my going about my day, I don't see a reason to come be hateful for the sake of it.
I assume the word "trash" is what triggered you. Had I said "I really didn't care for it", you'd have taken my comment different?

Regardless, what does 4 months after the Premier have to do with anything? I just got around to watching it. Does that somehow make my opinion less valid or unnecessary?

And I wasn't interested in a discussion about it, you're right. I did exactly what I intended to do. Offer my quick and simple opinion of it. I was not baiting a discussion.

You took my comment as hateful because you chose to. If it came off that way to you, I respect your opinion for taking it that way. Sorry.

I assume the word "trash" is what triggered you. Had I said "I really didn't care for it", you'd have taken my comment different?

Regardless, what does 4 months after the Premier have to do with anything? I just got around to watching it. Does that somehow make my opinion less valid or unnecessary?

And I wasn't interested in a discussion about it, you're right. I did exactly what I intended to do. Offer my quick and simple opinion of it. I was not baiting a discussion.

You took my comment as hateful because you chose to. If it came off that way to you, I respect your opinion for taking it that way. Sorry.
I respect that response and I think that's accurate.

It feels weird that I'm defending a movie that I thought was only decent, but respected the scope and delivery more than anything, but here I am.

I never saw it as this awe inspiring masterpiece that I heard from the majority, but it was a great IMAX experience and I'd watch it again.

I think I took your comment so negatively because I like to discuss movies and art and the thing that gets me the most is lack of criticism or feedback. Whether I agree with it or not, I like to hear why people feel a certain way, not just "I love it" or "I hate it".

But fair play, thanks for being level headed.

I didn't see Chani posed as a "strong woman" form of messaging (as if that's a thing at all). Villeneuve has been open and upfront about how he likes to have a character as a "witness" who has the disposition counterpoint to see the reality of the situation for us, the audience. It's a very Shakespearean technique to position a character in this way. Villeneuve felt there were aspects of Chani's character in the book that made her particularly well suited for this job of witness for his screen adaptation.

Having said that, I did feel like it wasn't pulled off as well as they intended and mostly fell flat as irritating and poorly scripted. It wasn't a problem of any (forced) messaging as it was simply poor execution - poor writing and poor acting for that particular character. I wasn't as bothered by it on my second viewing and don't think the overall film would have improved if Chani was somehow superficially relatable and charismatic. Actually, I did find her sense of witness to be relatable and her character charismatic, but it was her purpose that felt overly simplistic and didactic in a literary way. That may have made her ultimately annoying, at worst, but the film still holds up.

Both of Villeneuve's Dune films had a lot of cringey terrible bits, but they didn't weigh heavily against the strengths. I could rip apart any classic loved genre film from that past if critique is at the forefront of a discussion (Star Wars wouldn't stand a chance of surviving even a modest critique by today's standards). We have to get used to the fact that films aren't made the same way any longer when it comes to writing and scripts/screenplays, so often we have to let some things slide to enjoy what's really there. Dune Part 2 was still a masterful piece of filmmaking - its problems notwithstanding - that had a lot going for it. I enjoyed the viewing experience rather immensely and as a fan of genre films I'm glad it exists in our cinematic world today. I mean, I'd rather have Villeneuve's Dune film adaptations than not have them at all.

If you really think Dune 2 was super-flawed and unfulfilling, maybe it's further and final proof that the Herbert books could never be made into films. That's what we were told for many decades and maybe it's true. They couldn't do it in 1984 and can't do it today (and don't forget the 2000 and 2003 mini-series'). I don't think that's the kind of defeatist discourse finale I want to live with and I won't be dismissive of the films.

To many still sleeping on the TV Scifi mini-series: Despite the low budget TV effects and sets, an out of control costume and outrageous hat designer, and some very heavy marble-mouthed accents (you need to watch it with subtitles) ... this is still the best Dune and better Chani
And she's a badass/loyal to Paul to the end.

Gets even better for Dune Messiah / Children of Dune
Yeah I said it! :chase

Last edited:
1728675443626.png

Uncharismatic female characters count as "strong woman messaging" now? What does that make uncharismatic male characters? Or charismatic ones for that matter? :lol

I agree she wasn't charismatic, but why not leave it there? Silly buzzwords just muddy up the critique.

I think she's a fine actress. I didn't pick up on any messaging. But boy was I tired of seeing her resting b*tch face in nearly every scene she's in. She feels very one dimensional.

She's actually got a beautiful smile. Not that you'd ever know it from these films..

Screenshot_20241011_162318_Firefox Focus.jpg

Back