Enterbay HD: 1/4 scale Rambo III

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's ridiculous saying that an artist, or companies like HCG/Sideshow don't strive for realism, when in fact they are trying to make a sculpt based on a "real" person. Most of the statues/figures today are based on real people. So therefore, wouldn't the object be to get the sculpt and paint as realistic as possible? Trying to justify that by saying that they instead try to capture the "spirit" of characters, and "maintain" likenesses (whatever that means :lol) is just laughable. And you said that when they do fail, they plan too!? And when there pieces don't look as good as other companies, it's because they intended it that way, and that they have different goals.:dunno And if so, what might those goals be?

I agree with that. SS uses Polystone in their human faces cause they didn't know better, not cause they didn't want to create "realistic" figures. They always did. The PF line was created to deliver "miniatures" of the characters people loved. That's their philosophy since I started collecting PF's as soon as they hit the shelves. That's why they research the fabrics, try to "miniaturize" it the best they can...like everything else. But competition, new materials and new top sculptors from around the World in other companies made they change. I believe they will start using the translucent resin in more human pieces in the future. Not only looks more real, but also holds details WAY better.

I had it, and disagree with the "softness" of the paint. Far to be a thousand bucks PJ, but still pretty good.
SS Rambo PF and other pieces looks WAY more cartoonish to me, and with a very, very bad likeness.

It's not the overall paint that I'd call soft, but like his eyes, I know other painters could paint the eyes on that bust to look like they have a burning intensity, the eye paint jobs I've seen on Maga Rambos all looke like a paint by numbers type thing, they're clean, perfect circles and all, but there's no real painterly quality so they lack any emotion or life to them.

It's not the overall paint that I'd call soft, but like his eyes, I know other painters could paint the eyes on that bust to look like they have a burning intensity, the eye paint jobs I've seen on Maga Rambos all looke like a paint by numbers type thing, they're clean, perfect circles and all, but there's no real painterly quality so they lack any emotion or life to them.

But then we will return to the same thing we talked before...it would cost more, so in the end it's a compromise. And he probably knows that.
But even then, the eyes on his busts still looks better painted than anything SS has to offer in that scale. Mine wasn't the most realistic ever, but was still pretty good, principally for the price he sold it for. And was far to be a painted by numbers PJ, too. And I talk from experience, from owning and from seeing many 1:1 busts made.

Here's an exemple of a realistic painted eyes on resin. Work by my wife on a 1:1 Jack N. Joker bust she sold to a client. The bust PJ wasn't finished yet, but the eyes were almost "there":

jokereyes.jpg

Last edited:
But then we will return to the same thing we talked before...it would cost more, so in the end it's a compromise. And he probably knows that.
But even then, the eyes on his busts still looks better painted than anything SS has to offer in that scale. Mine wasn't the most realistic ever, but was still pretty good, principally for the price he sold it for.

Here's an exemple of a realistic painted eyes on resin. Work by my wife on a 1:1 Jack N. Joker bust she sold to a client:

Oh I agree that the paint quality compromise is the price you pay for the overall cost of the piece being affordable, but, in some cases, the affordability isn't worth it. The First Blood bust painted the quality it is at $500, however, doesn't feel as worth the money as one that cost $1000 with a better paint job would. Sure you're paying twice as much, but I personally don't feel a sting of price when a piece wows me. The $500 piece might save me money, but it'd also leave me feeling like I might have spent too much, the $1000 piece would likely make me feel like I got my money's worth. It's all about the satisfaction you get for your purchase. All collectibles are pretty overpriced, but when you get a great deal of satisfaction from the item, you don't think about the cost. Regardless of scale, I feel better about spending $400 on the Enterbay T-800 from T2 than I did about the $150 I spent on the HT T-800 from T2.

Oh I agree that the paint quality compromise is the price you pay for the overall cost of the piece being affordable, but, in some cases, the affordability isn't worth it. The First Blood bust painted the quality it is at $500, however, doesn't feel as worth the money as one that cost $1000 with a better paint job would. Sure you're paying twice as much, but I personally don't feel a sting of price when a piece wows me. The $500 piece might save me money, but it'd also leave me feeling like I might have spent too much, the $1000 piece would likely make me feel like I got my money's worth. It's all about the satisfaction you get for your purchase. All collectibles are pretty overpriced, but when you get a great deal of satisfaction from the item, you don't think about the cost.

Yup, it's all about ones satisfaction in the end. I was pretty satisfied with what I got for $500 with his Rambo 3 1:1 bust. Won't comment about the First Blood painting cause I never seen it in the flesh, but will soon. Can't even see the eyes properly, if they are good painted or not, so would be a little unfair for me to judge it. But so far everything as a whole looks very good to ME, and that's what matters, and that's why I "pre-ordered" it.

Regardless of scale, I feel better about spending $400 on the Enterbay T-800 from T2 than I did about the $150 I spent on the HT T-800 from T2.

For sure. Have to agree with that. :)
The EB 1/4 T2 is something else, isn't it? Can't wait for the other offerings in their HD line....

Yup, it's all about ones satisfaction in the end. I was pretty satisfied with what I got for $500 with his Rambo 3 1:1 bust. Won't comment about the First Blood painting cause I never seen it in the flesh, but will soon. Can't even see the eyes properly, if they are good painted or not, so would be a little unfair for me to judge it. But so far everything as a whole looks very good to ME, and that's what matters, and that's why I "pre-ordered" it.

Well that's it in the end, we all perceive this stuff differently. I can see and understand the critique people make of pieces I own, but in the end, I'm happy to have them. The paint and sculpt on the HCG 1/2 Rambo bust could easily be ripped apart by some folks I'm sure, but, I'm thrilled that I own it and I'm glad it was produced. Thankfully, all of Edinho's work for Rambo 4 has been sold through HCG to make it more affordable and it's all satisfied me, it's my favorite of the Rambo movies and if not for him, there'd be no Sly pieces from that film, it'd just be knives and stuff.

I agree with that. SS uses Polystone in their human faces cause they didn't know better, not cause they didn't want to create "realistic" figures. They always did. The PF line was created to deliver "miniatures" of the characters people loved. That's their philosophy since I started collecting PF's as soon as they hit the shelves. That's why they research the fabrics, try to "miniaturize" it the best they can...like everything else. But competition, new materials and new top sculptors from around the World in other companies made they change. I believe they will start using the translucent resin in more human pieces in the future. Not only looks more real, but also holds details WAY better.

:exactly::exactly::exactly:

And awesome joker! Your wife is an extremely skilled painter!

Thanks snoop and intothevoid, she loves hearing feedback about her work. :)

EB said that we should be seeing pics for this soon, but knowing how they operate, that could mean anything:lol

EB said that we should be seeing pics for this soon, but knowing how they operate, that could mean anything:lol

Yeah, I wonder what happened.

It is also a big possibility that the Enterbay execs decided to revamp the eyes. The comparison pics are all over the hobby forums (which are a more reliable source than Facebook, where anybody can comment), and it shows a big difference. :slap

Could be as simple as shifting to get the MIB figures out for the release of MIB 3, Rambo can come out anytime, there's not film release to tie in with.

Could be as simple as shifting to get the MIB figures out for the release of MIB 3, Rambo can come out anytime, there's not film release to tie in with.

Most likely.

By the way, Sean, what shirt did you use for your 1/6 Rambo 4 custom?
I'm trying to find a more-loose/bigger-sized one on the Barney Ross body because in the movie, Rambo's shirt during the rescue & final battle is not fitted, and is a bit loose. Having trouble finding loose shirts. :slap Thanks in advance for any tip.

Back