Everything iPhone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
07coolstorybro-1.jpg

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

That aside it's not enough for me to upgrade. I'm happy with my 4 until next year. I will save up for a possible iPad upgrade. :lecture

Overall, it is for me. My plan as of now is to get the white 64gb and then start saving up for the next one.

I have the iphone 4 and this is a huge letdown. A new camera? It's not even 3D capable. 1080p vid? So what? A faster processor? WE ALL knew that was going to happen. Why did it take so long to release an iphone 4s? They took over a year and a half just to refine the iphone 4 is just mind blowing. They even tried to pump up icloud and ios5 which you can get on your iphone 4. The only thing they really added was the voice command crap that hardly anybody will use. You sucked today apple. Way to let us down.

I have the iphone 4 and this is a huge letdown. A new camera? It's not even 3D capable. 1080p vid? So what? A faster processor? WE ALL knew that was going to happen. Why did it take so long to release an iphone 4s? They took over a year and a half just to refine the iphone 4 is just mind blowing. They even tried to pump up icloud and ios5 which you can get on your iphone 4. The only thing they really added was the voice command crap that hardly anybody will use. You sucked today apple. Way to let us down.

Well, to be honest I say who gives a rats backside to 3D capable. If I want 3D I'll go the movie theater. Where as the 1080p Video I'll be using all the time so different strokes for different folks. I think you might be overreacting just a smidge. :lol

I don't care about 3D on my phone, but I'm surprised that it's not 4G. I mean, this really really isn't a big deal after a year and a half since the last one. Other phones have been having constant improvements since then and iPhone 4S doesn't even match them.

I was going to get my first iphone if this was an improvement. The Galaxy S II completely demolishes this though. I'll hold out to see what the 5 offers.

I don't care about 3D on my phone, but I'm surprised that it's not 4G. I mean, this really really isn't a big deal after a year and a half since the last one. Other phones have been having constant improvements since then and iPhone 4S doesn't even match them.

I agree....How old is 4g now? Apple can't even get that in the iphone. This was a huge let down. They delayed this announcement for a refined phone that came out 16 months ago. Apple's stock dropped today. In Wall Street and in a lot of people's minds and wallets. They'll announce an iphone 5 in another 8 months. They gave people who already own an iphone 4 pretty much no reason to upgrade. It's just frustrating to those who have each iphone from the beginning and were really expecting something much better than they delivered today. And Josh I do think 1080p is great but it's nothing new to a phone. Apple used to set the bar for phones. Now I'm not so sure.

From what it sounds like this is 4G but they just don't call it that.

Overall, it is for me. My plan as of now is to get the white 64gb and then start saving up for the next one.

do you give your old phone away josh or do you sell it? If you sell it I recommend nextworth.com. I used them last time I sold my 3gs to get the 4. After it was all said and done I paid $25 for the iphone 4 and even upgraded to the 32 gb memory.

I agree....How old is 4g now? Apple can't even get that in the iphone. This was a huge let down. They delayed this announcement for a refined phone that came out 16 months ago. Apple's stock dropped today. In Wall Street and in a lot of people's minds and wallets. They'll announce an iphone 5 in another 8 months. They gave people who already own an iphone 4 pretty much no reason to upgrade. It's just frustrating to those who have each iphone from the beginning and were really expecting something much better than they delivered today. And Josh I do think 1080p is great but it's nothing new to a phone. Apple used to set the bar for phones. Now I'm not so sure.

Actually, the way the term 4G is used isn't correct with the providers that use it. They bend the numbers to say they're using it and as a whole 4G isn't that wide spread yet. What they offered today is enough for this current IPhone 4 user to get this phone. So I think its a person to person basis. How many phones records in 1080p? Not many I would say.

light reading for those who want the dow jones story

2nd UPDATE: Apple Brings Out Latest Version Of IPhone
19 minutes ago - DJNF

--Apple unveils latest generation of iPhone, featuring faster processing chip, new camera and voice-command capability
--Apple's iPhone 4S ships Oct. 14, costs between $199 and $399.
--Apple also to offer free 3GS, with purchase of a wireless contract

(Adds analyst quotes, context, updates share price, in the third through fifth, 13th and 16th through 19th paragraphs.)

By John Letzing
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

CUPERTINO, Calif. -(Dow Jones)- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Tuesday introduced the latest generation of its iPhone smartphone, featuring a faster processing chip, better camera and voice-command capability.
The new device, dubbed the iPhone 4S, will be priced at $199 for a version with 16-gigabytes of storage, $299 for 32 gigabytes and $399 for 64 gigabytes, along with a two-year contract from either AT&T Inc. (T), Verizon Wireless or Sprint Nextel Corp. (S). Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) and Vodafone Group PLC (VOD, VOD.LN).
The product demonstration and lack of a hardware update seemed to underwhelm investors and observers. Shares of Apple fell as much as 5.4% after the launch event before rebounding. The stock closed at $372.50, down 0.6%.
"They definitely left you wanting more," said Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, who attended the unveiling. In particular, Munster said the lack of new design features was a letdown. Lines at stores for the new iPhone inevitably will be long, "but those lines could have been longer, if they would've just gone to a four-inch screen" on the device, Munster said.
The analyst noted that a number of devices based the Android software developed by Apple rival Google Inc. (GOOG) feature four-inch screens, compared to the three-and-a-half-inch screen on the iPhone.
IPhone 4S is Apple's first overhaul of its popular smartphone in 16 months and came at a different time for the company and the market. Phones that run on Google's Android are now the market leader, although the iPhone remains the most popular individual smartphone.
In addition, Tim Cook has since replaced Steve Jobs as Apple's chief executive.
"This is my first product launch since being named CEO--I'm sure you didn't know that," Cook joked at the event's start. He noted that Apple "has enormous momentum" and spoke about the success it has had with its retail stores and devices.
Jobs, who is Apple's chairman and who has been on medical leave since January for an undisclosed illness, didn't appear to be in attendance.
Besides Cook, other Apple executives who spent significant time on stage included: Scott Forstall, senior vice president of iOS software, who talked about Apple's wireless operating system; Eddy Cue, senior vice president of internet software and services, who discussed the company's iCloud product; and Phil Schiller, senior vice president of world-wide product marketing, who showed off the new iPhone.
The new iPhone, which comes in black or white, will have an Apple A5 processor, the same chip found in Apple's iPad 2 tablet computer. The new chip can download data twice as fast and can handle graphics seven times faster than the previous A4 chip, making it better for videogames, Apple said. The new phone also has an eight-megapixel camera sensor, which is designed to be 33% faster at taking photos, a complaint with older iPhones.
For many customers, the chip and new camera sensor will provide an iPhone that is "the best still camera they ever own," Schiller claimed during his presentation at the company's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters.
Said Gartner analyst Michael Gartenberg: "The new imaging itself means a lot of people can justify the cost of this, if anything else, by not having to buy a new camera."
IPhone 4S will work on both wireless standards, meaning the same phone can be used around the world and with most wireless carriers. The phone's battery now offers eight hours of 3G talk time, nine hours of Wi-Fi browsing and 10 hours of video use.
The company also showed off new voice-command tools for retrieving everything from exchange rates to reminders, called Siri. Schiller said Siri takes dictation and noted that the service is both contextual and conversational.
The phone "unlocks the potential of voice. What used to be science fiction is now a product today," said Gartner's Gartenberg.
Sterne Agee & Leach Inc. analyst Shaw Wu called the new software features on the iPhone 4S "awesome," but said the phone's unveiling was "slightly disappointing," given the lack of new hardware designs. The last time Apple unveiled an iPhone without hardware revisions was in 2009 with the iPhone 3GS.
Apple said Tuesday that it would offer an eight-gigabyte version of 3GS free as well as an eight-gigabyte version of the iPhone 4 for $99, both including two-year wireless contracts.
For all phones, preorders begin Friday, with shipping starting Oct. 14. Interest in Apple's new products appeared high, if the slowness of the company's website Tuesday afternoon was any indication.
The company also discussed a service that will back up and synchronize data among Apple's devices and computers. Dubbed "iCloud," the service allows customers to tie its gadgets together and share photos, music, address-book contacts, calendars and other data through the Internet. Apple first unveiled the free service in June but is making it available now, shipping Oct. 12.
The free iCloud eliminates a $99-per-year fee Apple had charged for its previous cloud-storage service, called "MobileMe," which could synchronize information among multiple computers and devices, host family websites and remotely store files.
The iCloud product is seen competing with a rival service introduced last week by Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN). With its Fire tablet computer, Amazon introduced cloud features that offers free storage of digital media purchased through Amazon on the company's servers and automatically synchronizes information such as e-reader bookmarks between Kindles and other devices.
Alongside iCloud, Apple launched a service called "iTunes Match," that would for the first time--and with the blessing of record labels--give legitimacy to digital music that users have saved on their computers, whether it was ripped from a CD, purchased from a competing service or illegally copied.
For $24.99 per year, Apple's iTunes service would let users remotely access and stream thousands of songs from collections they placed on Apple's servers. The service was built as an addition to Apple's free iCloud offerings, which lets users re-download any music or applications they purchased from the company's iTunes store.
Apple also said iOS5--its new operating system for wireless devices--will be available as a free update on Oct. 12. The new operating system includes features such as a new messaging service, more Twitter integration and ways to edit photos.
Also on Tuesday, Apple unveiled updated versions of its popular iPod Nano and Touch music players. The company said its new version of the Nano is easier to navigate and includes some fitness-related improvements and user interface additions such as new clocks. It will cost $149 for a 16-gigabyte model and $129 for an eight-gigabyte model, down $30 from the previous prices.
In addition, the iPod touch, to be available in a white version, will be priced at $399 for 64 gigabytes of storage, $299 for 32 gigabytes and $199 for eight gigabytes.
The iPod devices will be available Oct. 12.

-By John Letzing, Dow Jones Newswires; 415-765-8230; [email protected]
--Ian Sherr, Geoffrey Fowler and Shara Tibken contributed to this article.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires
10-04-11 1708ET
Copyright (c) 2011 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

do you give your old phone away josh or do you sell it? If you sell it I recommend nextworth.com. I used them last time I sold my 3gs to get the 4. After it was all said and done I paid $25 for the iphone 4 and even upgraded to the 32 gb memory.

I sold my 3G last time but I think my original iphone is still in its box someplace. I'll check them out though thanks for the link.

Yesterday I was really anticipating the announcement of the iPhone 5. Today, I am still anticipating the announcement of the iPhone 5.

Not enough of a difference for me to upgrade when I'm not up for a renewal yet. I guess I will hold on until next year's model.

From what it sounds like this is 4G but they just don't call it that.

The phone is just faster, which makes it more stable and able to load things faster. It's just like getting a better computer can improve your internet speed, your services is the same, but your hardware can load it faster.

Back