Freaktacular 2017

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Freaktacular 2015

Some of the ebay prices are outrageous for the retired lego sets, but I guess that's typical for almost anything on ebay. That one Death Star is priced in the thousands?

I think there are a bunch of people who will also buy sets just to part them out. Since some pieces are extremely rare, people can make quite a bit on sets that are still available.

I'm not good enough at designing sets to loop up individual pieces, but I guess some people need a piece so bad for a build that they are willing to pay quite a bit for it.

Heaven forbid I start collecting legos. I may have to grab a star wars Lego set. That deathstar would have been great to start with.

Oh, and here's a random question for those who collect LEGO on a larger scale...do sets ever sell out? I want to get the Millennium Falcon, but my wife is also trying to figure things out as far as Christmas presents go. Let's just say I tend to buy myself most things I want before holidays come around, mainly due to selling out -- and me apparently hating money. :lol

Just curious if it's better to buy it now, or just hold off. I'm sure some smaller themed sets sell out, but I know Star Wars has been huge for LEGO while the films were dormant, and it'll only get bigger over the next handful of years while Disney pumps these movies out. It's not vital, I was just curious as to what the best course of action may be when picking up sets, and whether or not they do tend to vanish from time to time.
Long time LEGO collector here and there's a few more in these forums.
My advice is to get whatever you've got your eyes on NOW. Star Wars sets (at least the larger ones) will become harder to find at retail, but it is really dependent on the particular set itself. The larger sets, typically >1,000 pieces and the ones with the rare/exclusive minifigures will sell out first.
One way you can gauge when to make your move is to keep on eye on the LEGO website. If the site lists a particular set as backordered, that's a pretty good indication it will be one of the sets that will be difficult to get a hold of later down the line.

I build a set, keep it out for awhile, then break it down and build another one. I'd love to keep them all displayed but don't have the space. This way I can rotate what's out and then have fun rebuilding the other sets again.

Same here. Once I've built a set, I'll have it on display for a while. I won't usually build another until a break down the previous. This way I don't have too many sitting around. They're a great dust collector... and hard to clean. :gah:

That said, the building and breaking down is a big enjoyment for me and part of the reason I can still build the same things over and over.

LEGOS rule! :yess:

Long time LEGO collector here and there's a few more in these forums.
My advice is to get whatever you've got your eyes on NOW. Star Wars sets (at least the larger ones) will become harder to find at retail, but it is really dependent on the particular set itself. The larger sets, typically >1,000 pieces and the ones with the rare/exclusive minifigures will sell out first.
One way you can gauge when to make your move is to keep on eye on the LEGO website. If the site lists a particular set as backordered, that's a pretty good indication it will be one of the sets that will be difficult to get a hold of later down the line.

Thanks for the tip! I had a feeling that MAY be the case with some of the more popular ones, but wasn't sure. It's that whole, "It's popular, so why not make more?" type idea that I thought LEGO may go along with. But yeah, I never really scan the wall of Star Wars pieces outside of going, "Still a wall of Star Wars LEGO!" when I visit Toys R Us, mainly due to costs.

That said, maybe they do fluctuate more than I thought...or maybe the wall is filled with a lot of items that just don't sell. I'll check out the LEGO site and see where some of these stand!

Looks like the Falcon is Out of Stock on the LEGO site and shipping mid-October. I'm guessing that basically means it'll be one of the more popular ones in the series and I should just order it sooner than later to be safe.

tumblr_mh3u1nlb1y1s3x41po2_250.gif

Looks like the Falcon is Out of Stock on the LEGO site and shipping mid-October. I'm guessing that basically means it'll be one of the more popular ones in the series and I should just order it sooner than later to be safe.

tumblr_mh3u1nlb1y1s3x41po2_250.gif

One thing to consider is becoming a Lego VIP member. If you do, right now you can get double points on the Falcon set. That promo might end tonight, however (I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember reading that it was only until the 4th. Again, might be wrong on the date). And it'll ship for free from the Lego shop because it's over $75.00.

The double points for LEGO VIP members are extended to the 14th. I ordered the Falcon on the first and it said out of stock but shipped the next day anyway. As long as you can add it to your cart then you'll get one.

That's good to know. Gives me more time to figure out which set to get my son for Christmas and benefit from the points.

Don't know how much I'll buy but just joined the Lego VIP program... What the heck.

:lol It's LEGO-mania!!

I'm in Canada, so I don't think all that LEGO VIP stuff will count on my end. Either way, I'll probably keep my purchases minimal! I'm sure it's an easy enough animal to get swallowed up by, so I'll do my best! :lol

Oh snap...looks like the free shipping and all may actually apply to Canada from the LEGO site. Interesting...

:lol It's LEGO-mania!!

I'm in Canada, so I don't think all that LEGO VIP stuff will count on my end. Either way, I'll probably keep my purchases minimal! I'm sure it's an easy enough animal to get swallowed up by, so I'll do my best! :lol

Oh snap...looks like the free shipping and all may actually apply to Canada from the LEGO site. Interesting...

You get all the benefits of LEGO VIP that the USA people get. SO yes on double VIP :)

It's the same site. They ship your set from Mississippi anyway even though it's a Canadian site. hah!

I noticed some of the sets are cheaper on Amazon, so I'm not sure if the points will outweigh the savings.

Double points mean $10 for every $100 you spend at the Lego store so it depends on the price of the set if it's worth it or not. I've bought some from Amazon as well when the price was better there than what I'd get from normal points at the Lego store. Just have to keep an eye on it and check out both places to see which is the better deal.

Double points mean $10 for every $100 you spend at the Lego store so it depends on the price of the set if it's worth it or not. I've bought some from Amazon as well when the price was better there than what I'd get from normal points at the Lego store. Just have to keep an eye on it and check out both places to see which is the better deal.
Thanks for explaining. I wasn't sure what the points were worth TBO. I like the Ewok Village, Death Star Final Duel, and the Falcon. One problem is I'm not sure where I'd build them. It seems like I'd need to take up the whole dining room table to lay out all the pieces.

One problem is I'm not sure where I'd build them. It seems like I'd need to take up the whole dining room table to lay out all the pieces.

One nice thing about the way Lego's are packaged is that there are multiple bags of pieces, all numbered, that correspond with steps in the building process. You don't have to have all of the pieces opened and spread out to build your set. Unless you want to, that is.

I just bought the Simpsons Kwik E Mart this weekend. Nice to get $20 in points just from that.

Back