Freaktacular 2017

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Freaktacular 2015

anmI8Lf.gif

For Mystery Box #4, what is the worst incident you've had in which a collectible got broken? To me, these will be true horror stories.

Deadline is 7:30pm Central Time tonight.

One entry per person. Winner will be chosen by the wheel. If you've already won a mystery box you cannot win another but feel free to share your story.

Bonus Story: (I know I won't get extra entries, but just sharing).

There's also Hurricane Katrina. Now at that time Sideshow wasn't very big, so the only SSC pieces I had were Jen and Kira from the Dark Crystal. Well, we took on about a foot of water, but because we couldn't go back into the house for a month after the storm, mold had grown all over the house. EVERYTHING was a total loss. I really only had smaller figures at the time (SW 3", GI Joe, ToyBiz LOTR, etc.), and really I was fairly compensated for all of it through insurance, but I do miss those two Gelflings.

I've vowed to never move long distance again!
I'm with you! I moved cross country in giant moving trucks twice (plus two additional times with my car packed full). Nobody should ever move cross country 4 times! MANY things got damaged during my moves, but the most painful was when I tripped down some stairs while holding a giant box of VINTAGE CARDED STAR WARS FIGURES, granted they were in Star Cases and packed well, but I slammed, no SMUSHED the box accordian-style into a metal railing when I tripped. Thankfully only a few got messed up, well, ROYALLY F'D up, actually, but most survived. That really sucked!!!!!!!!!

I guess that's my Bonus Story for a non-entry... I have many more horror stories about collectibles as well... This story was considerably worse than my other story... You mentioned moving, and then I remembered the horror...

I'm with you! I moved cross country in giant moving trucks twice (plus two additional times with my car packed full). Nobody should ever move cross country 4 times! MANY things got damaged during my moves, but the most painful was when I tripped down some stairs while holding a giant box of VINTAGE CARDED STAR WARS FIGURES, granted they were in Star Cases and packed well, but I slammed, no SMUSHED the box accordian-style into a metal railing when I tripped. Thankfully only a few got messed up, well, ROYALLY F'D up, actually, but most survived. That really sucked!!!!!!!!!

I guess that's my Bonus Story for a non-entry... I have many more horror stories about collectibles as well... This story was considerably worse than my other story... You mentioned moving, and then I remembered the horror...

wookie.jpg

Seriously, I would have sat there crying if I had damaged my vintage Star Wars figures that way. Fortunately, my mom sold them all at a garage for $0.25 each so I wouldn't need to worry about it :mad:

I lost so many Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers, and MOTU figures to garage sales my parents had when I left for college. It's seriously depressing to think about.

I lost so many Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers, and MOTU figures to garage sales my parents had when I left for college. It's seriously depressing to think about.

You might have been able to pay for part of college if you had sold them later to collectors!

You might have been able to pay for part of college if you had sold them later to collectors!

No kidding, though I'm such a hoarder it's unlikely I would have sold them anyway. I worked my butt off when I was younger for a lot of those figures--mowing lawns, babysitting, etc. I used to get $5 for mowing someone's yard. GI Joe figures were $2.24 at TG&Y so I could get 2 everytime I mowed one.

anmI8Lf.gif

For Mystery Box #4, what is the worst incident you've had in which a collectible got broken? To me, these will be true horror stories.

One entry per person. Winner will be chosen by the wheel. If you've already won a mystery box you cannot win another but feel free to share your story.

Probably not a true horror story, but the worst break I've had was also move related. My Venomsaurus comiquette had some of the "tips" break. Lucky for me a little super glue worked and because of the coloring on the statue and where the break was you can't even tell now.

I do have a nephew now, so that will be interesting as he is growing up and when he comes over to our house if my breakage rate increases...hopefully not!!

The only thing I have broken is a little piece off a mini bust because I picked it up wrong. No statues falling off shelves, no broken shelves, no moving horror stories, no earthquakes, my cats have knocked stuff over but nothing breakable (one ran havoc through my Jabba setup but everything was fine.) I guess I am just lucky…. So far at least.

The only thing I have broken is a little piece off a mini bust because I picked it up wrong. No statues falling off shelves, no broken shelves, no moving horror stories, no earthquakes, my cats have knocked stuff over but nothing breakable (one ran havoc through my Jabba setup but everything was fine.) I guess I am just lucky…. So far at least.

That's amazing--hope your luck holds!

anmI8Lf.gif

Luckily I've had not a shelf diving figure or dodgy shelves falling down. The only thing I can think of is way back during the original Hot Toys Predator days when you had to build your own Pred figure. If anyone shared the pain of having to put them together you'll understand. It's only something small but when I was putting Wolf together the body netting tore on his shoulder. Yep not a big deal overall but the frustration and anger experienced during that process has never been felt since when buying a figure. It's one those once you know it's there you can't forget about it despite not being able to see it unless close up. :D

anmI8Lf.gif

One time during a collection reset, I was moving on of my display cases that had castor wheels on the bottom of it. I knew I should move stuff out of the cabinet before trying to move it, but I'd moved it before without doing so... and I was just moving it a few feet out of the way, so against my better judgment I decided I would just go very slowly and move it without removing any of the statues or busts in it... although I did take a couple of the ones off the top shelf out that looked like they may tip over. As I was moving it, I got to where I needed it to be with no issue but then bumped into it a second later :horror One of the smaller busts with fragile spikey things on the back fell from the top shelf and tumbled down to the bottom! Nooo! To my amazement not a single one of those spikes broke off!?! I was so relieved... until I sat that it hit my Soulfire Grace statue on the way down and shattered the wing into pieces. :thud: It's an $800 statue or so value wise. Lesson learned.

Another quick one is I have some Matrix McFarlane figs on display, and have always been happy at the fact that despite nearly all of the APUs snapping in half in package and loose mine was always still intact even though it was loose and on display. Fast forward about 6 years with no issues and I slam into the shelf one day last year by accident, APU takes a tumble and bam! Snapped in two. :( My heart sank. I still have a minty one in box though, so I'm good.

Front page has been updated with all contests I have received thus far! Thanks everyone for keeping me up to date.

The links for your contest in the first post all just take you to the last page here... just fyi

These broken statue stories are making me sad :lol

No kidding. What a total bummer.

Darth Maddens 2015 Spooktacular Answer The Question Contest 6/10:
What is the name of Hagrid’s pet spider?
(This is for a contest in the spooktacular thread. Please do not post the answer here.)

Back