FRODO & SAMWISE 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought people who collected wanted the highest quality possible. If you can't afford the car don't buy it I guess. Hell I want a Porche but I don't complain to them about the prices. I don't buy many PF's just do to the price. Would I like to have some? Sure. But I won't complain about the price. If you can't afford it I am sorry. That truly sucks. But don't complain about a company charging a substantiated price for an item only because it is out of your reach. I don't think that is fair.

That's a fundemental philosophy that I absolutely will fight to the end. People who are getting priced out have a very valid complaint.

IMO, there is a balance that companies should strive for to not only make the best product they can, but to make it so that many people can/want to buy it.

Its in the best interest for companies to do that to. The core of the market want affordable value, not extravagant value.

There might be a niche market of people that would pay for a 14k white gold "mythril" vest for their new Frodo. Even if the vest is offered at a steal of a deal of say $500 based on gold costs, etc. Lets say 100 people are willing to pay that. Earning SSC $50,000.

Now lets say for the cost of $25 SSC can offer a cheaper metal vest and sells 2,000 of them also earning $50,000.

Of course, there is a 3rd option which is SSC could do both.

Maybe that is the solution? For SSC to offer a bare bones Sam and Frodo with much less accessories for less? I don't know.

But, IMO there is something intrinsicly good about offering something to more. Now, please don't take that to mean I want them at the quality of the old ToyBiz. I'm not arguing to get these down to $20. My argument is more of the rise between $60 to $70.

It's just my opinion, but if $70 a figure "prices you out" then you probably should not be collecting to begin with. That's not meant to be an insult to anyone, but $70 is not a lot of money.

Part of the problem is that many people want to collect 3,4,5 or 10 different lines from 1/6 figures to PF to CM's, to statues. I am one of those people, but guess what? I can't afford it ALL even if I want to. So, I am left to pick and choose. I can't get mad at the companies becuase they don't keep their prices low enough so that I can buy everything.

I don't expect compaines to keep prices low so that everyone can afford it. I expect them to keep prices "fair" for what their R&D costs them. Again, if you only collect 1/6 and $70 a figure prices you out then you probably need to rethink collecting to begin with.

Some of these figures will go past $70 especially once we get into figures like Eomer, Theoden, etc that have some armor to them. Just like in the SW line.

The thing is Prog is people get priced out on so many things that it's part of life. As Badmoon said be it cars, tv's, etc so I don't see TOYS as anything more than another thing where we can't have it all. As Nash said these toys aren't must have items when compared to real world things. So if we can't afford all of them then ya know we move to the next thing.

That's a fundemental philosophy that I absolutely will fight to the end. People who are getting priced out have a very valid complaint.

IMO, there is a balance that companies should strive for to not only make the best product they can, but to make it so that many people can/want to buy it.

Its in the best interest for companies to do that to. The core of the market want affordable value, not extravagant value.

There might be a niche market of people that would pay for a 14k white gold "mythril" vest for their new Frodo. Even if the vest is offered at a steal of a deal of say $500 based on gold costs, etc. Lets say 100 people are willing to pay that. Earning SSC $50,000.

Now lets say for the cost of $25 SSC can offer a cheaper metal vest and sells 2,000 of them also earning $50,000.

Of course, there is a 3rd option which is SSC could do both.

Maybe that is the solution? For SSC to offer a bare bones Sam and Frodo with much less accessories for less? I don't know.

But, IMO there is something intrinsicly good about offering something to more. Now, please don't take that to mean I want them at the quality of the old ToyBiz. I'm not arguing to get these down to $20. My argument is more of the rise between $60 to $70.

IMO opinion your theory sounds like communism for collectors. :lol

IMO, these are more collectibles than toys anyway.

Affordable toys are what you find at mass-market retailers like Toys R Us, Target and Wal-Mart. That's not what companies like Sideshow, Hot Toys and Medicom are all about.

For instance, next Summer people will have the option to get an okay Indiana Jones 12" at their local Wal-Mart for $20-25 from Hasbro... or they can go for the more realistic, detailed and limited collectible one from Sideshow for about $60-70. These are not the same types of products, which is why both Hasbro and Sideshow have a 12" INDY license. LOTR and SW are no different.

That's totally true Irish. Which IMO means these are already gonna be priced right out of the market on some people. As I've said it's a part of life.

You have to pick and choose what's in your budget.

That's totally true Irish. Which IMO means these are already gonna be priced right out of the market on some people. As I've said it's a part of life.

You have to pick and choose what's in your budget.

Yup. I had to drop a couple lines to be able to keep up and I also needed to narrow my focus. It just a questions of defining what you like and what you don't like as much. :D

Yup. I had to drop a couple lines to be able to keep up and I also needed to narrow my focus. It just a questions of defining what you like and what you don't like as much. :D

I call BS on that Pix. You said you drive a Prism, so there is no way you dropped any lines for financial reasons.

Yup, I had intended to get all the SW PF, LOTR PF, Dios, and all the 1:6th. Well, with the Dio line coming and them now getting Indy. Plus I'm getting some of the GG busts I've had to really drop the PF's to basically just a few on a list I have. It happens. You can't have it all unless your filthy freaking rich. :lol

Also, I used to collect things like the Hasbro "Star Wars" line. And let me tell you, at $6-7 a pop those little action figures really add up. Not to mention all the other stuff out there. So I quit collecting mass-market toys almost entirely and moved on to more "high-end" stuff and as a result I'm really not spending that much more money actually.

if i knew that saying 70$$$??????????? for a half a 12 in fig would start all this arguing.....i would have said it at least 30 pages earlier:chew

if i knew that saying 70$$$??????????? for a half a 12 in fig would start all this arguing.....i would have said it at least 30 pages earlier:chew

Read back a little further bub. I made my $70 comments first. :rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I take full credit. LOL!

Also, I used to collect things like the Hasbro "Star Wars" line. And let me tell you, at $6-7 a pop those little action figures really add up. Not to mention all the other stuff out there. So I quit collecting mass-market toys almost entirely and moved on to more "high-end" stuff and as a result I'm really not spending that much more money actually.

Same here. Me and a buddy would go out late at night when Wal-Mart would be stocking to get the more in demand stuff. I'd hate 2 think of the money I spent on those and how I'd like to have it back 2 spend on this stuff.

Same here. Me and a buddy would go out late at night when Wal-Mart would be stocking to get the more in demand stuff. I'd hate 2 think of the money I spent on those and how I'd like to have it back 2 spend on this stuff.

I am so glad I never collected that Hasbro stuff. Sadly the same cannot be said for sports cards. God I wish I hadn't wasted my time and money on that ****.

Back