FRODO & SAMWISE 1/6th

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you Cap, and clearly even PJ recognized the power of Elijah's acting through his eyes because there's no shortage of shots that make his eyes the focal point. Hell, the end of ROTK when he's waking in bed and looking over at Sam, there's not a word uttered but yet his eyes convey almost an entire dialogue, very powerful. Frodo is a lot like Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, the most prominent feature is the look and use of the eyes and you really might as well give up if you don't get that right because no matter how great you do everything else, you've failed to capture the character correctly if you miss their most prominent feature. That's why I was so happy to see that GTG looks pretty worn, especially his face because outside of his dialogue, his roughed up, been around the block a million times look was so defining of him for me.

Exactly. A minute of Frodo's silent expressions is as powerful as an hour of, say, Boromir's dialogue (I love Sean Bean but his acting gets a little forced sometimes). Especially the grief and loneliness he manages to convey. One of the most powerful scenes of the films is just after Gandalf's fall in Moria while Aragorn is pushing the Fellowship to leave. The others can do nothing but grieve, and then the camera cuts to Frodo. Just looking at his eyes swollen with tears tells more about what Gandalf meant to them than any words or music could possibly relate. I'll admit it, that shot made me cry. All I want is for my Frodo to have that same impact. As much as I love Faramir and as important as Aragorn is, Frodo really will be the most important part of my LOTR display as a whole, even more than Gandalf. The old wizard may be the emblem of my collection, but Frodo will be its heart, just as Faramir is my personal connection with it.

It's a zen kind of thing. :lol

After reading all of the paint app hate. I can say that it really serves to remind me how fortunate I am to have no concern whatsoever for the figure looking like the actor. The figure looks like Frodo to me...I am all the way good with it.

I'm still eager to get both Frodo and Samwise...they'll look great on the shelf in all their tiny little glory.

That said, I am concerned about Frodo..but I'll have to just wait and see what paintjob I get on him. It is the eyes, and that's gonna be decided on each individual piece.

May we all get lucky.

I'm not gonna comment anymore till i see in hand pics. But it still looks like "FRODO" if not so much like EW now.

May we all get lucky.

Hell ya :naughty Giggitty Giggitty. (sorry, had to do it)

I'm not gonna comment anymore till i see in hand pics. But it still looks like "FRODO" if not so much like EW now.

I'd agree if that was how I collect pieces like this, but for me, if I'm buying a piece that looks this realistic and is based off of a film or TV show, I'm about having it look like someone zapped the screen and created a 3D miniature, so when likeness becomes off or lost, the piece loses appeal to me. I like Aragorn because of how Viggo Mortensen played him, now how he comes off in the script, I like Frodo because of Elijah's performance, so I want figures that look like the people that played the characters.

I think Frodo looks pretty good... not 100%, but not terrible by any stretch. Although it almost looks like the heads are cast in a fleshy color and then have paint added to them? Probably wrong about that... but don't seem to notice the paint work like you did with the first images.

i agree with whoever said frodo's clothes make him look like he's neckless. definately needs futzing. i still think everyone is being too hard on the paint apps from these very shadowy pics. i remember feeling the same about palpatine. the pics made him look like the paint washed out all the lines and details in his face but once i had him in hand all the detail was still there. you cant trust pics people. im just over joyed that there is no faramir paint job here.

Yup, I think unanimous opinion is that 95% of what we've seen in the 360 vids makes us happy for the wait it took for these guys to get to us, and many of us sit on the edge of our seats to find out how the likeness of Frodo translates in person.

HOPEFULLY, it's like ANH Leia's production images, those looked nothing like Carrie Fisher but when I took my own shots and had her in hand, damn did it capture her.

True that dude. I honestly think both of these are dead-on the best you can possibly get; one flaw per figure isn't bad at all! I'm just very sensitive about colors is all, so Sam's coat is bothersome. Frodo's paint job I won't even be sure about until I have him in hand and can judge for myself. Sam's jacket color? Well, it won't be the first time Sideshow has messed up a color for me. :rolleyes:

Yup, I think unanimous opinion is that 95% of what we've seen in the 360 vids makes us happy for the wait it took for these guys to get to us, and many of us sit on the edge of our seats to find out how the likeness of Frodo translates in person.

HOPEFULLY, it's like ANH Leia's production images, those looked nothing like Carrie Fisher but when I took my own shots and had her in hand, damn did it capture her.

This pretty much sums me up. I'm stoked to get them as I've said before these two pieces where my two most liked pieces @ SDCC 07.

it appears that sam has his gray "jacket" under his brown one. so is that screen accurate? did sam ever where a brown jacket in the films?

It was a washed out grey sweater-jacket with brown tint, but not at all a straight brown like on the new figure. His vest is what's showing underneath, which was a light grey-and-white striped. It's a bit too short too; Frodo's coat should be quite a bit longer, and Sam's as well. That's what helped create the effect of them looking shorter; their coats looks slightly long and big on them.

Here's a picture of the costumes:

hobbit4_sj.jpg

Back