Gamorrean Guard 12"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto. I guess once the SS version is released, there will be little interest in Hasbro repaints, so let's all appreciate them while we can!

Gammy3.jpg

Gammy1.jpg

This looks even better in person....I wanted this Gammy for my collection when CM first posted it years back. Patience paid off and Gammy has been in my collection for some time. Maybe I should of lent him to SSC as a paint reference.....I don't think I'll be purchasing Sideshows version because from what I've seen Mikey's still trumps it. :joy

I agree. A lot of people seem to have the mindset that unless something uses a standard body, it must be incredibly expensive to produce. Well, most toy manufacturers more or less create unique bodies for every figure (e.g. Hasbro's 3 3/4" Star Wars line). Now it's true that creating a fully articulated new body would be expensive, but that doesn't appear to be what we have here.

Well, those Hasbro figures or others like that they mae multiple thousands of them. That helps defer the costs on something like that.

I'm not saying you are stupid for buying it! I think it looks pretty darn good. I plan on owning one in the future myself, if it ever goes below 70 or 80 bucks. But if not, then i won't. My choice. I just don't think the quality is there.

I don't expect sideshow to charge 40 bucks for their figures now. I know good and well that the cost of the new bodies, and the cost of materials has gone up, plus they need to eat too. I understand that. But it just seems like these products keep getting higher and higher, and unlike some other companies that charge 120+, i'm not seeing the quality rise with the price.

Now stop. I'm not saying sideshow doesn't make incredible stuff. I love them, that is why i am here. But realistically, look at even their best figures, and compare them to another company like hot toys. The sculpts are pretty great! They have some very talented people there. But paint wise, they have continued to fail us in fixing things. Hell, it took them forever just to phase out the horrid doll dot.

I think the figure looks good. My problem was never with the figure, but the price. They just seem to up these things more and more with every release, and it is getting so bad that I'm gonna have to keep saying no to new releases. It is getting way too expensive. I'd love to buy it all, but unlike some of you, i guess i just don't have that type of money to spend on a gammy to fill in my jabba environment. And so until he is cheaper, i'll be using my hasbro.

To everyone who can afford him, i look forward to your pictures, and can't wait to see what you think of him. Never meant any bad feelings over this. Just really shocked at the price is all. Sorry if I upset any of you.

I agree. A lot of people seem to have the mindset that unless something uses a standard body, it must be incredibly expensive to produce. Well, most toy manufacturers more or less create unique bodies for every figure (e.g. Hasbro's 3 3/4" Star Wars line). Now it's true that creating a fully articulated new body would be expensive, but that doesn't appear to be what we have here.

I think this is because Sideshow has drilled that mindset into the heads of a lot of their fans. This goes back to the "A Few Guys In Their Garage" approach to production they still have, which we've discussed before.

Well, those Hasbro figures or others like that they mae multiple thousands of them. That helps defer the costs on something like that.

It does, but there are plenty of smaller companies that do the same thing, also for a lot less. My point isn't so much that Sideshow is ripping us off -- just that making a one-off body isn't the huge expense that people make it out to be.

It does, but there are plenty of smaller companies that do the same thing, also for a lot less. My point isn't so much that Sideshow is ripping us off -- just that making a one-off body isn't the huge expense that people make it out to be.

:lecture Precisely.

Not trying to be argumentetive... more genuinely curious. How could it not be more expensive?

Rather than a unique head (maybe a hand or two) you've got a unique head, hands, legs, arms, body etc that all have to be sculpted. So there would add more cost than standard.

Then you have an outfit (which would likely be about the same) and the figure will have more paint work done.

So just putting it all together I'd assume the costs would be higher than a standard bodied 1/6 figure.

Of course one-off figures are more expense to produce. The question is... are they really THAT much more expensive? I say no. It's probably more due to Sideshow refusing to budge off of their targeted profit margin per figure. Their consumers apparently eat all additional costs instead of them chewing off some from their own margins... moreso than any other company I can readily think of.

Also, I know the Rate of Inflation hasn't been 74% over the past 18 months. It's actually well under 10%. But you'd never know it from their 1/6 price structure.

Last edited:
$20 more than the CW Anakin doesn't seem too far out of line to me... but then again CW Anakin being $100 was a lot of $$$.

But, at least compared to HT I'd say $100 was a fair price for the quality of that figure and what we got. I really just wish Sideshow could improve the paint on their figures, it would make the world a much happier place.

I really just wish Sideshow could improve the paint on their figures, it would make the world a much happier place.

Agreed there, for sure. When you compare the quality of their production heads to the likes of Hot Toys (especially paint detail in skin tone, hair and eyes)... they are still way too far apart, yet the prices are edging closer and closer.

What's odd about that though is that some of Sideshow's paint work is great (like Old Ben, or Gandalf) but then during the same time you get figures like the ROTLA Indy.

Just wish they could find that consistent point where the paint lived up to the sculpts. Don't expect HT quality, but Old Ben quality on a consistent basis would be awesome.

Those figures tend to be generic figures that use many of the same pieces over and over and over. Also not at the same level of detail say a SS or HT does.

It may not be the huge cost but its not peanuts as some want you to believe either.

Of course one-off figures are more expense to produce. The question is... are they really THAT much more expensive? I say no.

Right. Of course we're not really privy to how much each aspect of a figure costs, so we're just guessing here. I just find it funny how it's become almost gospel that creating a unique body will make prices skyrocket, when in fact most toy companies do that all the time.

Those figures tend to be generic figures that use many of the same pieces over and over and over. Also not at the same level of detail say a SS or HT does.

It may not be the huge cost but its not peanuts as some want you to believe either.

Look at something like Mezco's Wink figure. It's a little under 10" tall, so it's not exactly the same, but it's got a body that's 100% sculpted, with reasonably good paint and accessories, all for $15. Sure, they probably made more of those than Sideshow is making of the Gamorrean, but it's not a Hasbro toy that they make hundreds of thousands of. And it's not like that line is full of figures using the same parts, either.

If sideshow dropped the price half way and made three times as many...they would sell out. Except now they would have happier consumers and more product out there. I would buy two.

HT's chain saw killer came with a pretty big axe that could be used with a little work on the handle................(psssttt..............T/A has two in stock)......dont tell anyone.....:)

Back