General NBA Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it too much to ask for 1 good game in this series?

Cleveland definitely won the National Anthem battle though, that was really cool.

Cavs are so much better without Love on the court.

Glad to see Lebron finally realize that he's the most dominant player on the court.

The fact that the Warriors are up in this series with such little contribution from Steph and Klay is amazing.

Eh the only players w more titles than MJ are all 60's Celtics who played back when there were like 10 teams in the league (imagine LeBron's setup with 2/3rds less competition and even more talented teammates) and Horry (whom I'm fairly confident we can eliminate from GOAT conversation)...so while I give an A for effort, let's give a little perspective here lol

We use perspective now when I said all along game, players etc all changed so claiming one single GOAT is a dumb media / fan driven concept which I find difficult to support. Until any league states this is the criteria for our greatest player it's simply fan service which take it for what you will. Also Jabbar all time leading scorer has 6 and didn't play for Celtics....but he played forever so he is discounted I suppose...:wink1:

It's not just the titles with Jordan. Obviously, there are a select few players who have won more. It's the fact that he went to six championships and won six championships. It's the fact that he was named Finals MVP all six times. It's the fact that he has scored the most points in NBA Playoffs history. It's the fact that he has the highest career scoring average in NBA history. It's the fact that he's a five-time MVP. It's the fact that he's a ten-time NBA scoring champion. It's the fact that he's been Defensive Player of the Year and was on the All-Defensive 1st Team nine times. It's the fact that he was 1st Team All-NBA 10 times (2nd team once). It's the fact that he was a fourteen-time All-Star, and won All-Star Game MVP three times. He was arguably the greatest offensive player of all-time, and he was probably even better at defense. Add to that numerous other accolades that I haven't mentioned and the FACT that he was the most competitive SOB to ever lace up a pair of sneakers and there really isn't any argument. But, in case you still don't get it, just about every player, coach, executive, sports writer, and historian will put Michael at the top of the list of the greatest players of all-time. I'm not big on the term GOAT, but that sure as hell sounds like the GOAT to me.
And this isn't a shot at LeBron. I love LeBron. He's already top five all-time. But he's not Michael. Not yet. Could he get there one day? Yeah ... maybe. But not at his current pace.

Curry needs to play better.

I'll agree, although I have to wonder is he physically healthy as he wants us to believe. I'd say he's not 100% and this has nothing to do with the playoff injury. After all he said that he will skip Team USA in the Olympics to forego knee surgery in the off season. I think his body isn't at its best right now and he's using will and Heart to play in the finals for his team and his fans.

I think Klay and Steph are still getting over the battle with OKC.

We use perspective now when I said all along game, players etc all changed so claiming one single GOAT is a dumb media / fan driven concept which I find difficult to support. Until any league states this is the criteria for our greatest player it's simply fan service which take it for what you will. Also Jabbar all time leading scorer has 6 and didn't play for Celtics....but he played forever so he is discounted I suppose...:wink1:

MJ's 3rd all time in points scored (and likely first if he had not missed 2 prime years due to retirement plus one prime year due to freak injury) and 6 for 6 in title chances as alpha dog. While KAJ 6 titles is very impressive he was alpha dog for maybe 2?

MJ has him beat there, sorry. But I do have KAJ in my top 3 FWIW...

MJ's 3rd all time in points scored (and likely first if he had not missed 2 prime years due to retirement plus one prime year due to freak injury) and 6 for 6 in title chances as alpha dog. While KAJ 6 titles is very impressive he was alpha dog for maybe 2?

No need to be sorry.....I find these discussion interesting how folks find reasons to support their ideas thus the reason I find the concept silly. Jordan doesn't own most dominate team or most rings...well cause the league looked different for the team / person who does or others weren't proclaimed alphas on said team. Jordan doesn't own most points well IF he didn't retire....yada, yada, yada....

As I said...concept is fan driven so it'll be what it is just not going to convince me there is one single GOAT.

MJ's 3rd all time in points scored (and likely first if he had not missed 2 prime years due to retirement plus one prime year due to freak injury)

Not to nitpick, but he's currently 4th. Kobe passed him this season. But, as I mentioned above, he has the highest scoring average of all-time, so .....

It's not just the titles with Jordan. Obviously, there are a select few players who have won more. It's the fact that he went to six championships and won six championships. It's the fact that he was named Finals MVP all six times. It's the fact that he has scored the most points in NBA Playoffs history. It's the fact that he has the highest career scoring average in NBA history. It's the fact that he's a five-time MVP. It's the fact that he's a ten-time NBA scoring champion. It's the fact that he's been Defensive Player of the Year and was on the All-Defensive 1st Team nine times. It's the fact that he was 1st Team All-NBA 10 times (2nd team once). It's the fact that he was a fourteen-time All-Star, and won All-Star Game MVP three times. He was arguably the greatest offensive player of all-time, and he was probably even better at defense. Add to that numerous other accolades that I haven't mentioned and the FACT that he was the most competitive SOB to ever lace up a pair of sneakers and there really isn't any argument. But, in case you still don't get it, just about every player, coach, executive, sports writer, and historian will put Michael at the top of the list of the greatest players of all-time. I'm not big on the term GOAT, but that sure as hell sounds like the GOAT to me.
And this isn't a shot at LeBron. I love LeBron. He's already top five all-time. But he's not Michael. Not yet. Could he get there one day? Yeah ... maybe. But not at his current pace.

BOOM goes the dynamite! There's some perspective right there.

Apparently Klay Thompson came out and said Mozgov's pick was a "dirty play".

Looked clean to me, and I thought it should have been a no call. Looked like he was already set. It also might have more to do with fact that Klay is 6'7" and Timofey Mozgov is 7'1"...

11-0 in the finals with a finals appearance in 11 of 13 seasons and 5 league MVP nods sounds more like a GOAT because that level of consistency, dominance will be difficult to top in any sport (if I bought into the GOAT thing).

Jordan is tied like 9th or 10th for most championship rings. Russell, Jabbar, Havlicek (others I don't recall) have as many if not more rings then Jordan. Until the league (any) say this is the criteria for GOAT not the media and fans it is your opinion that equates to GOAT :wink1:

I regress from GOAT lure to say nice win for the Cavs showed some heart...

I believe Neal136 did a phenomenal job describing MJ's legacy and place in the game. However, for a guy who doesn't like to have GOAT conversations, you at least bring compelling names to the table. I'll go over the 3 names you dropped. There are worthy players you can bring into the discussion (not Horry like jedi suggests) but the 3 players you targeted are certainly considered some of the very best.

Let's go to who I feel is the biggest claim to the crown myself...Bill Russel. Russel was a defensive FORCE and rebounding machine like almost no other. That said, he was hardly the focal point of the Celts offense. He averaged a respectable 15 points a game but it's safe to say his biggest impact on the floor was on the defensive side of the ball and rebounding. He won 11 Championships in an era when there were 8 teams in the league and it's obvious to say that the overwhelming talent of that era was on those championship Celtics teams. Just look at all the HOFers on those Celtics team. Russel played with no less than 9 HOFers while wearing a Celts uniform. There is NO QUESTION MJ was the MAN on his Bulls team. He was without a doubt the driving force of his Championship teams in EVERY Finals appearance he made and throughout his Bulls career. That is made clear by the fact that no other Bulls player won Finals MVP during their championship run or league MVP. Anyone who watched MJ's performances during the regular season, playoffs, and Finals knows this. I'll end the conversation with Russel on this note. Russel has repeatedly said publicly that MJ is the GOAT. For a man with 11 rings and playing in the era where he played with others that are considered LEGENDS of the game (most of them were on his team), that's truly a special statement. It certainly means more than some of the clueless peeps that troll these boards.

On to 8 time NBA champ Havlicek. Well, he played in the same era as Russel and even on Russel's team for just about all his titles. He certainly had a higher scoring average and was more of a focal part of the Celtics offense than Russel. He was voted Finals MVP once. He has never won league MVP and averaged just over 20 points a game for his career. He's certainly a great player, but MJ's stats overall are leaps and bounds better than Havlicek's. As far as impact to his team and the league history, this one really isn't close. Besides, Russel played with all the great HOF Celts on his team in that era and he has no problem saying MJ is the best he's ever seen play the game. That's more than good enough for me.

Lastly we have Jabbar. He, like Russel, is a phenomenal player. His longevity and accomplishments in the league are well documented. He lead his Bucks team to a title back in '71 and was named Finals MVP. However, it's no secret that a majority of his success came with the Lakers since he won 5 titles there. The problem is, there's a STRONG argument that could be made for Magic being the man and leader of those great Lakers teams. Magic joined the Lakers in '80. From '75-'79, Jabbar wasn't able to lead his Lakers to a championship. When Magic arrives, Jabbar wins his 1st title with the Lakers, and as a rookie Magic is named MVP of the Finals. Jabbar would go on to win 4 more titles in LA but only win one Finals MVP ('85) during that Lakers team dynasty. Magic on the other hand goes on to be named Finals MVP 3 times during his time with the Lakers. While Jabbar amassed a TON of stats because he was a great player and played so long in the league, MJ's playoff stats and overall PER are better. Look, I know it's been stated before but 6 times Finals MVP leaves no doubt how much MJ meant to the Bulls and what role he played in winning 6 titles. With Jabbar, it can be said he wasn't even the most important player on those Lakers teams. I personally give that nod to Magic.

As for MJ, Neal136 did a fantastic job summing up his impact on the league in his post. There's no point in repeating it. However, I will add this about MJ. His regular season scoring average is 30.1 a game. His playoff scoring average is 33.4 points a game and his Finals average was 33.6 points a game. This is a man who clearly elevated his game when the stakes were higher. His PER allows him to be statistically compared to the greats of the game and NO ONE tops him. You don't have to believe Jordan is the GOAT. However, all the important numbers clearly point to it.

Agreed. I struggle with putting Russel or Jabbar at 2 or 3. They were both such great players.

Not to nitpick, but he's currently 4th. Kobe passed him this season. But, as I mentioned above, he has the highest scoring average of all-time, so .....

....he has the highest PER in the history of the League. Statistically better and more efficient on the floor than any other player that has ever suited up and played the game.

Nice win for the Cavs last night. It was a must have and they got it in resounding fashion. Next game is no less important.

Back