General NBA Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be funny, but he doesn't want to move to somewhere that will hurt his off the court value.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's his hometown area,so it was a good story to go back home and win one. I'm guessing the shrewd business move would be to move to a larger market now that he's won.

In this day and age, players don't have to worry about large media markets anymore. LeBron has that billion dollar lifetime contract with Nike. Also, some diminish his seven straight trips to the NBA Finals because he plays in the East, but c'mon, Cleveland is his hometown.

is that Fultz guy really that great? To give up potentially 2 top 5 picks for seems stupid.

Was hoping someone here could answer that as I don't really watch much college ball.

Which begs the question...if Boston wasn't that high on the #1 overall pick anyways (yes, I know the draft lottery happened after the trade deadline), why didn't they make a move for Jimmy Butler or Paul George?

Well...not so much on George, knowing what we know now.

well, it looks like PG isn't interested in winning after all lol. The trio of PG, Ball and Deng should do lovely in the West.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...-lakers/ar-BBCQlJE?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

Why does he want to go there? Is he from SoCal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah he's from SoCal. EDIT: Neal136 beat me to it.

IF he really wants to go to SoCal, Clippers would be a better bet than the Lakers, provided the Clips aren't blown up this off season.

RE Paul George, it's really interesting that he came out and said this. I mean, good on him for letting the Pacers know ahead of time, but they had very little leverage to begin with...now they have next to nothing at all, as potential suitors know that they can try to sign George as a free agent instead.

I mean, if I'm Pacers management, I'm seriously considering making him a "DNP - Coach's Decision" if they can't move him before the season starts. Why play him and risk injury? You don't need to showcase his skills and improve his "trade value".

ESPN is already reporting that Cleveland has been talking about a trade for George, even knowing that he might not re-sign with them. There confidant that their championship culture, as well as George's relationship with James, will be enough to convince him to stay after the season. The question is, what can Cleveland give up? I guess they can offer Kevin Love, as Kyrie is more of LeBron's running mate, with Kevin Love (underrated, in my opinion) willing to defer to both of them. But I would try to keep a core of James, Irving, and Love, and then add George if they can.

Tristan Thompson is an option...I know people think he's overpaid, but let's be honest, without Thompson, the Cavs probably don't win the championship last year. Yes, his current contract hamstrings Cleveland right now, but it's more of a "payment for services rendered" contract.

Besides Cleveland and the Clippers, Paul George would be a welcome running mate for Westbrook in OKC...and imagine Kawhi Leonard and George, two lanky wing players that defend very well, playing together in San Antonio. Paul George in Washington would put the Wizards as a serious contender for Cleveland as well.

For some players the market doesn’t matter but for most I think it does. Do you think Giannis Antetokounmpo is getting as much pub in Milwaukee as he would if he was in NY or LA? Not a chance. Case in point Jeremy Lin. LeBron is above that (so are KD and Curry and a few others) but Lonzo Ball being in Phoenix is a lot different than him being in LA.

Looks like Lakers aren't into Lonzo. The are trying to trade their pick to two later first round picks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

where did you read that? I haven't seen that anywhere.

In this day and age, players don't have to worry about large media markets anymore. LeBron has that billion dollar lifetime contract with Nike. Also, some diminish his seven straight trips to the NBA Finals because he plays in the East, but c'mon, Cleveland is his hometown.

Was hoping someone here could answer that as I don't really watch much college ball.

Which begs the question...if Boston wasn't that high on the #1 overall pick anyways (yes, I know the draft lottery happened after the trade deadline), why didn't they make a move for Jimmy Butler or Paul George?

Well...not so much on George, knowing what we know now.

Yeah he's from SoCal. EDIT: Neal136 beat me to it.

IF he really wants to go to SoCal, Clippers would be a better bet than the Lakers, provided the Clips aren't blown up this off season.

RE Paul George, it's really interesting that he came out and said this. I mean, good on him for letting the Pacers know ahead of time, but they had very little leverage to begin with...now they have next to nothing at all, as potential suitors know that they can try to sign George as a free agent instead.

I mean, if I'm Pacers management, I'm seriously considering making him a "DNP - Coach's Decision" if they can't move him before the season starts. Why play him and risk injury? You don't need to showcase his skills and improve his "trade value".

ESPN is already reporting that Cleveland has been talking about a trade for George, even knowing that he might not re-sign with them. There confidant that their championship culture, as well as George's relationship with James, will be enough to convince him to stay after the season. The question is, what can Cleveland give up? I guess they can offer Kevin Love, as Kyrie is more of LeBron's running mate, with Kevin Love (underrated, in my opinion) willing to defer to both of them. But I would try to keep a core of James, Irving, and Love, and then add George if they can.

Tristan Thompson is an option...I know people think he's overpaid, but let's be honest, without Thompson, the Cavs probably don't win the championship last year. Yes, his current contract hamstrings Cleveland right now, but it's more of a "payment for services rendered" contract.

Besides Cleveland and the Clippers, Paul George would be a welcome running mate for Westbrook in OKC...and imagine Kawhi Leonard and George, two lanky wing players that defend very well, playing together in San Antonio. Paul George in Washington would put the Wizards as a serious contender for Cleveland as well.

With Bos, I truly think they are building for the future. They are waiting for Lebron to get old and waiting for GS to eventually break up the big 5. I think Cle would have to give up Love because even though Kyrie takes a lot of bad shots, he's still capable of dropping 50. That would mean Lebron dropping to the 4, which I think he will have to do at some point in his career anyways. At least in this scenario Pacers get a 20/10 guy for PG. If the LA really wants him, they have to be willing to give up the 2 pick and at least one young talent for PG. Nobody has reported the Lakers willing to do this yet. That would be the Pacers best option.

I'm not sure if LAC or SA could get him if they don't let a lot of free agents go or make trades. I'd imagine Ginobili will take a lot less money to play one more year in SA, but he may retire too. I think they gotta trade Gasol though. I never understood why they grabbed him to begin with.

For some players the market doesn’t matter but for most I think it does. Do you think Giannis Antetokounmpo is getting as much pub in Milwaukee as he would if he was in NY or LA? Not a chance. Case in point Jeremy Lin. LeBron is above that (so are KD and Curry and a few others) but Lonzo Ball being in Phoenix is a lot different than him being in LA.

Right on point.

where did you read that? I haven't seen that anywhere.

Ramona Shelburne of ESPN mentioned it this morning. I haven't heard anyone else mention it either, so perhaps there was a bad source. It still something to watch for. Sometimes executives put out ******** stories to screw with the other teams who are planning their picks

Technically, I don't think moving LeBron to the 4 extends his career. If he's being covered by bigger and more physical dudes in the post that's going to wear him down. I think he wants to stay at the 3 and take this smaller defenders in the post where he can abuse them. If they switch a 4 to defend him, he can go outside and take them off the dribble.

Right on point.

Agreed, for some players it would matter, as evidenced by the fact that Carmelo definitely preferred New York to Denver.. But Grimlock's initial point was that it would possibly be a better business move for LeBron to move to a larger media market. And yes, I agree that Giannis would get more pub in LA or NY than he does now in Milwaukee...but his signing a four year contract extension in September proves that the media market doesn't matter to him.

reports now suggest Cavs trying to get Butler. I think Paul may be the better offensive player and Butler the better defender, but can't go wrong with either : https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...bulls-multi-team-trade-scenarios-jimmy-butler

Technically, I don't think moving LeBron to the 4 extends his career. If he's being covered by bigger and more physical dudes in the post that's going to wear him down. I think he wants to stay at the 3 and take this smaller defenders in the post where he can abuse them. If they switch a 4 to defend him, he can go outside and take them off the dribble.

there are some taller 4's, but how many are bigger than Lebron (260-270lbs)? You have to be able to go small with GS anyways who down the stretch will play Green at the 5 and Durant at the 4. If they got Butler or PG, who would be playing the 4 for Cle?

reports now suggest Cavs trying to get Butler. I think Paul may be the better offensive player and Butler the better defender, but can't go wrong with either : https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...bulls-multi-team-trade-scenarios-jimmy-butler

there are some taller 4's, but how many are bigger than Lebron (260-270lbs)? You have to be able to go small with GS anyways who down the stretch will play Green at the 5 and Durant at the 4. If they got Butler or PG, who would be playing the 4 for Cle?

I think PG13 is better on offense and defense, mostly due to just being taller.

I agree LeBron at the 4 or even the 5 works well against the Warriors. I'm not sure how it would work against a big in the post...like the Pelicans or Memphis. If you are just talking about the finals, then playing LeBron small is smart.

I think the Cavs may be trying to get Butler not only because it improves them, but it keeps him from the Celtics. The rumors of the Celts getting Butler and Haywood does threaten the Cavs at the top.

I think PG13 is better on offense and defense, mostly due to just being taller.

I agree LeBron at the 4 or even the 5 works well against the Warriors. I'm not sure how it would work against a big in the post...like the Pelicans or Memphis. If you are just talking about the finals, then playing LeBron small is smart.

I think the Cavs may be trying to get Butler not only because it improves them, but it keeps him from the Celtics. The rumors of the Celts getting Butler and Haywood does threaten the Cavs at the top.

Pelicans have Davis who is skinny and Memphis has Zac (if he stays) who is way too slow and is declining. Zac would actually be a good fit for Cle lol. I think you mean Hayward? I don't think Bos could afford both, but if they can and Cle gets PG, it would make for a good conference finals at least. Pacers are the ones who called Cle, so we'll see. I think Love is on the move though either way.

Pelicans have Davis who is skinny and Memphis has Zac (if he stays) who is way too slow and is declining. Zac would actually be a good fit for Cle lol. I think you mean Hayward? I don't think Bos could afford both, but if they can and Cle gets PG, it would make for a good conference finals at least. Pacers are the ones who called Cle, so we'll see. I think Love is on the move though either way.

Yeah, Hayward...stupid spell correct. They can afford both, and are actively attempting get both according to ESPN.

Sac would punish LeBron in the post, obviously LeBron could drive on him at will. I don't think Randolph helps the Cavs at all versus the Warriors. The Warriors would abuse him.

Yeah, Hayward...stupid spell correct. They can afford both, and are actively attempting get both according to ESPN.

Sac would punish LeBron in the post, obviously LeBron could drive on him at will. I don't think Randolph helps the Cavs at all versus the Warriors. The Warriors would abuse him.

well if they are going to keep Lebron at the 3, they will need to replace Love. There's actually more decent PF's in free agency this year than SF. Maybe a Tj Gibson or Ibaka who can space the floor a little bit and still play D?

well if they are going to keep Lebron at the 3, they will need to replace Love. There's actually more decent PF's in free agency this year than SF. Maybe a Tj Gibson or Ibaka who can space the floor a little bit and still play D?

It will be interesting to see their starting lineup next year. I suspect they will keep LeBron at the 3, but play him a lot at the 4 with their small lineup.

Cavs choose to not extend their GM's contract......not sure what that means, but he was really good.

Agreed, he made some good deals. Supposedly the Butler deal wasn't very close to happening, but this will kill any progress.

No clue what they are (Lebron) thinking...

Lebron said not that long ago the GM should get extended, not leave. If anything, this could lead to Lebron leaving if this blows up for Cle. I believe Griffin could have stayed on for the rest of the month? They could've gotten a deal done for PG by the time he left. If Cle doesn't end up with Butler or PG, I guarantee Lebron leaves. I actually like Billups, but I'm not sure about his fit as a GM.

Supposedly the Knicks are talking about buying out Melo and then he'd join the Clippers as a free agent. Jackson has also said Porzingis is tradable.

Back