GI JOE 30th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GI JOE 25th Anniversary

They are not online exclusives.I've seen a few of them at a Hasting's in Joplin ,Mo.Although at around 15 bucks a pop not something I'm gonna pick up.

They are not online exclusives.I've seen a few of them at a Hasting's in Joplin ,Mo.Although at around 15 bucks a pop not something I'm gonna pick up.

Agreed. Aren't they just re-releases of the more popular figures from the first couple of waves?

What's a Hasting's? Is it an actual retail store or a comic/specialty type store?

I've only seen the Hall of Heroes figures at one of the local comic shops - $25 CDN each! Forget that... I would probably buy some BATs and Vipers at a decent price though, especially if I found them at a store and not have to pay for shipping.

These are both repaints as well as some Frankensteined figures from the previous releases. A couple are the same but most of them have different parts. Flint has the original 25th head but the new 5 pack body. Firefly has the original Snake Eyes' arms and legs and a Viper's torso (instead of the Beachhead repaint). Things like that. Zartan is funniest one to me though, as he comes with less goodies than the previous one which came with the Swamp Skier, but he costs twice as much.

Oh and I've heard these are hitting FYEs but at $15. About 8 bucks too much gold stand or or not. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

What's a Hasting's? Is it an actual retail store or a comic/specialty type store?

I've only seen the Hall of Heroes figures at one of the local comic shops - $25 CDN each! Forget that... I would probably buy some BATs and Vipers at a decent price though, especially if I found them at a store and not have to pay for shipping.

Here is a link https://www.hastingsentertainment.com/catalog/

Its more a book/music store than anything. They do carry a decent selection of collectible figures and statues etc including higher end stuff.

It's that fancy packaging that is also causing the Hall of Heroes wave to cost more at retail as well.

I am however happy we have a corrected Flint and FINALLY a true representation of the 1985 Snake-Eyes!!!

I boxed up my Cobra army, and put them into storage. the movie line killed my intrest in the 4inch joes. i might track down a few i want fro mthe websclusive muti-packs, but i'm more or less done. Sideshows joes have taken center stage for me now As far as Gi joe is concerned.

the movie line killed my intrest in the 4inch joes.

Really? Why?

cobracommander_ws.JPG

looking at that, i still can't figure out why they went with the DiC cobra commander, and then packaged him with whoever that is in the gimp mask.

Is it just me, or do people in Hollywood seem to be in an "over-design" phase?

To me, the movie Transformers look over-designed, and suffer for it. I understand the justification (aliens, blah blah blah), but from a visual perspective, they just looked too "busy" to me. They seem to be going for this in the GI Joe movie too. I mean, just look at Cobra Commander here, or the Vipers with all that textured, skull-face armor. I don't know, maybe I'll like it a lot more when I see the film, but it almost looks as if they tried too hard.

Is it just me, or do people in Hollywood seem to be in an "over-design" phase?

To me, the movie Transformers look over-designed, and suffer for it. I understand the justification (aliens, blah blah blah), but from a visual perspective, they just looked too "busy" to me. They seem to be going for this in the GI Joe movie too. I mean, just look at Cobra Commander here, or the Vipers with all that textured, skull-face armor. I don't know, maybe I'll like it a lot more when I see the film, but it almost looks as if they tried too hard.

I think the biggest difference is that for Transformers, it was practical for a 'real world' application. I know it was mentioned before by Bay, but most traditional Transformers designs are not very practical for the real world. Large portions that don't transform, arms that can't reach anything, legs that can't give a full range of motion, etc. While I'm not really a fan of the movie toy line (ROTF Sideswipe, both versions of Bumblebee, and Barricade are the only movie toys I own), I still think the designs were quite practical. G.I. Joe...not so much :duh

I guess the other reason I really didn't mind the Transformers changes was that the toyline regularly redesigns the characters and reboots the universe every couple of years, and has since Beast Wars started in the 90's. The movie designs were really no different than any other redesign phase that Transformers went through. G.I. Joe has largely pretty much been in it's own singular universe(s) since inception, and the redesign of Gi Joe was not only unnecessary, but also doesn't mesh with the premise. It has always been about a bunch of individual elite soldiers that defined their own style - and now they're being cranked out with bland cookie-cutter uniforms.

G.I. Joe has largely pretty much been in it's own singular universe(s) since inception, and the redesign of Gi Joe was not only unnecessary, but also doesn't mesh with the premise. It has always been about a bunch of individual elite soldiers that defined their own style - and now they're being cranked out with bland cookie-cutter uniforms.
Not completely. Though you are right that apart from the very early days the Joes never wore. . .er, uniform uniforms, their styles have changed quite a bit over the years, and the transition from cool, mid-80s Joes to weird, early 90s Joes was really not that different than the transition from G1 to G2 Transformers, IMO.

The first Joes (81-83) were pretty similar to one another, with only minor differences for the most part, followed up by the 84-86 "golden era" that most people are familiar with, but after that, you get aliens, sci-fi characters, pirates, ECO-Squad, Robo-Joe and the rest of the Star Brigade, then you have Spy Troops and Sigma Six in this decade which clearly have little to nothing to do with previous Joe "cannon." Honestly, it is very similar to Transformers, as characters with the same names keep popping up, but they may have very little to do with these characters' previous incarnations. I mean, Firefly as a ninja was actually part of the Larry Hama era, but clearly the original character was not intended to be the lime green piece of poop that he was "turned into" by the geniuses of early 1990s Hasbro.

Not completely. Though you are right that apart from the very early days the Joes never wore. . .er, uniform uniforms, their styles have changed quite a bit over the years, and the transition from cool, mid-80s Joes to weird, early 90s Joes was really not that different than the transition from G1 to G2 Transformers, IMO.

The first Joes (81-83) were pretty similar to one another, with only minor differences for the most part, followed up by the 84-86 "golden era" that most people are familiar with, but after that, you get aliens, sci-fi characters, pirates, ECO-Squad, Robo-Joe and the rest of the Star Brigade, then you have Spy Troops and Sigma Six in this decade which clearly have little to nothing to do with previous Joe "cannon." Honestly, it is very similar to Transformers, as characters with the same names keep popping up, but they may have very little to do with these characters' previous incarnations. I mean, Firefly as a ninja was actually part of the Larry Hama era, but clearly the original character was not intended to be the lime green piece of poop that he was "turned into" by the geniuses of early 1990s Hasbro.

Oh, I agree there were a lot of sub-lines, but the characters were never "rebooted". Duke was always Conrad Hauser, etc... There was some changes when the Devil's Due series came along, but I think that aside from the GI Joe Reloaded series and now the IDW series...the GI Joe characters have still pretty much been the same. This is more a comparison in how G1 Prowl is nothing like Beast Wars Prowl, who is nothing like Robots in Disguise Prowl, who is nothing like Animated Prowl, etc.

BTW, when was Firefly depicted as a ninja? I read the first 100 issues or so of the original Marvel/Hama run a couple years ago and don't recall anything like that.

Back