GI JOE 30th Anniversary

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: GI JOE 25th Anniversary

I finally got to see the then and now polar bear set, but only wanted the old version. Maybe someone here wants to sell theirs?

Sometimes you have to step back and realize you are choosing to associate yourself with grown men who collect toys on the internet.
I was browsing the forum and just registered pretty much to comment on this quote. It really cracked me up! :lol

There's actually an entire thread dedicated to how the Sideshow ones suck. They complain about how expensive Sideshow Joe is, but drop $100 on the RoC PIT or $70 on a wave of 3.75 inchers.

It's not a bad place to visit for Joe pics, but yeah, some of the people are over the top.

As a Joefan and a former Joe collector (I've sold almost all of my stuff now) there has ALWAYS been a debate regarding the 12'' vs. 3-3/4'' stuff. I've even attended two Joecons and you can see the difference in generations and such between who collects the old "Adventure Team",etc. 12-inch stuff and the modern Real American Hero stuff that all us 80's kids grew up with. The 1:18 scale collectors will always be hesitant towards the 12 inch stuff...especially when it starts portraying the characters they love. And keep in mind that a lot of those fans ARE NOT FAMILIAR high-end 12'' figure market.

For the most part, you will see people who will suck Hasbro's balls on EVERYTHING they put out, and you are right in which you say that Joe fans can be cheap...why not? It's a CHEAP line to collect unless you want to buy some of the older stuff.Before I made the jump to Hot Toys/Sideshow...I would flinch at spending over $100 for a figure. There's a big difference between a $8 Storm Shadow and a $150 Storm Shadow! And some people just can't communicate it well enough so they justify not getting it or the price point by badmouthing it. Unfortunately, some of these Joe forums are big Hasbro suck-ups and they try to dissuade anything said against Hasbro.

That being said, this is one thing, Hasbro's G.I. Joe and the product they have put out NOW is 100x better than what they put out 10 years ago.

I got back into GI Joe in early 2000 with GI Joe vs. Cobra,followed by Spytroops, followed by Valor vs. Venom, then followed by DTC when it looked like GI Joe was going to be gone again. We had some crappy figures, weird molds and colors and on the other side we also had some great ones. For years we all clamored for a revitalization of the figures we knew and loved and finally Hasbro answered with the 25th Anniversary line and since then GI Joe has never been a better product than now. If you don't believe me, go to YoJoe.com and take a look at some of the stuff that came out during the early 2000's.

Yea, it was always thing between 3 3/4" Joes vs Vintage 12" Joes. I don't think the SS line falls in with the Vintage side though.

That being said, this is one thing, Hasbro's G.I. Joe and the product they have put out NOW is 100x better than what they put out 10 years ago.

I got back into GI Joe in early 2000 with GI Joe vs. Cobra,followed by Spytroops, followed by Valor vs. Venom, then followed by DTC when it looked like GI Joe was going to be gone again. We had some crappy figures, weird molds and colors and on the other side we also had some great ones. For years we all clamored for a revitalization of the figures we knew and loved and finally Hasbro answered with the 25th Anniversary line and since then GI Joe has never been a better product than now. If you don't believe me, go to YoJoe.com and take a look at some of the stuff that came out during the early 2000's.

I disagree entirely. I hate the RAH figures now compared to what I got as a kid. Sure they're considerably more articulated and the sculpts might be better, but the overall build quality is cheap as hell. Wrists pop off when trying to pose, more often than not you get factory-packaged bent legs, arms, hands, etc, the gear, most of the time, looks oversized, etc. The 1:18 we got as kids were built to last a lifetime and save the occasional busted thumb or peepee, have done just that. If todays kids are just as hard on their Joes as we were, these figures won't stand the test of time.

You also have to keep in mind that what SS is putting out are figures that have aged a bit... they look like the characters we grew up with, but like us, have grown with the times. These characters look like they were specifically made for us kids of the 80s... respecting a rather 'grown-up' version of our appreciation for the GI Joe universe. The hasbro versions, on the other hand, are pure tributes. More like snapshots of what the characters were like back then.

I disagree entirely. I hate the RAH figures now compared to what I got as a kid. Sure they're considerably more articulated and the sculpts might be better, but the overall build quality is cheap as hell. Wrists pop off when trying to pose, more often than not you get factory-packaged bent legs, arms, hands, etc, the gear, most of the time, looks oversized, etc. The 1:18 we got as kids were built to last a lifetime and save the occasional busted thumb or peepee, have done just that. If todays kids are just as hard on their Joes as we were, these figures won't stand the test of time.

while true to an extent, the 25th line was marketed to Adults...I am sure not many kids of today were buying those up.To say the 25th line is cheaply made, is not completely true, unless you man-handle your figures, which they were not really made for play to begin with..the
25th line vs the vintage line is hard to compare when both were created for two different reasons..in reality, all toys/plastics were made better in the 80's...the plastics used today is definitely cheaper in quality unless your buying higher end collectibles (Sideshow,MOTU Classics etc)

while true to an extent, the 25th line was marketed to Adults...I am sure not many kids of today were buying those up.To say the 25th line is cheaply made, is not completely true, unless you man-handle your figures, which they were not really made for play to begin with..the
25th line vs the vintage line is hard to compare when both were created for two different reasons..in reality, all toys/plastics were made better in the 80's...the plastics used today is definitely cheaper in quality unless your buying higher end collectibles (Sideshow,MOTU Classics etc)

This would have merit if there weren't new commercials with kids in them and the toys weren't in WalMart, Target and TRU, amongst the other "kid" toys. The fact that they're now directly infusing the ROC/POC line with the same figures (BBQ, Firefly, etc.) further proves this. They're marketing the line at kids and Hasbro is hoping to entice some of the nostalgic adult collectors. And based on those grounds alone, these toys are cheaply made compared to what we got as kids. Which I wouldn't be surprised if that was the intent in today's money-driven society. A broken toy, or one that is designed to break eventually, equals another toy purchased and more money in the Hasbro coffers. They're just not built to last like the vintage RAHs.

This would have merit if there weren't new commercials with kids in them and the toys weren't in WalMart, Target and TRU, amongst the other "kid" toys. The fact that they're now directly infusing the ROC/POC line with the same figures (BBQ, Firefly, etc.) further proves this. They're marketed at kids and Hasbro is hoping to entice nostalgic adult collectors. And based on those grounds alone, these toys are cheaply made compared to what we got as kids. Which I wouldn't be surprised if that was the intent in today's money-driven society. A broken toy, or one that is designed to break equals another toy purchased. They're just not built to last like the vintage RAHs.

Not sure if "built to last" is even a concern for companies any more... Built to sell is more like it, and the 25th anni Joes did just that.

Back