Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't see anything mentioned in the last few pages about this. According to the RIC Twitter page, they are re-releasing the Large Monster Series Biollante. Just confirmed with my contact. Pretty sure it will be the standard RIC website exclusive with light up feature so it will be a little harder for most to get. Probably be a bunch for sale on ebay at ridiculous prices though. The retail on the regular version was 44,000 yen. I'm sure this will top 50,000. Fortunately, the dollar is much stronger against the yen now than it was back then.

Caught the godzilla bug recently...what are the thoughts of the 1989 30cm vs the 1989 Yuji Sakai version?

Sakai is a tiny bit smaller and is more suit accurate. Depends on if you like the pose of him. The standard isn't exactly suit accurate but looks meaner and captures the spirit on a shelf. I like the pose better. But in all honesty sakai's upcoming '91 beats the pants off both imo.

Sakai is a tiny bit smaller and is more suit accurate. Depends on if you like the pose of him. The standard isn't exactly suit accurate but looks meaner and captures the spirit on a shelf. I like the pose better. But in all honesty sakai's upcoming '91 beats the pants off both imo.

In all honesty, I think standard sculpt looks more like the 91 than it does the 89 considering proportions.....

I wonder if there'll be a little rock base for the tail.....or if he'll balance just right so it'll stay off whatever surface he is standing on.....I wouldn't mind a simple piece of clear plastic (maybe tinted slightly bluePurple like how neca does it so it won't yellow over time....come to think of it, the rock would suffice.)

In the photo you can see a little peg sitting out of the tail. I assume the Xplus will have the same.. That tail to too far up to not have something under it.

In all honesty, I think standard sculpt looks more like the 91 than it does the 89 considering proportions.....
Maybe. I can see a combo of the two...like x-plus was like "they are basically the same suit" and used references from both to make him.

My favorite of the heisei suits is 89 and 91, mainly because it was the godzilla that ended the 5 year Daikaiju drought between 1984 and 1989...
Biollante was a formidable enemy and king ghidorah speaks for himself....aside from the fantastic and sometimes corny parts of the movies, the design of g 89/91 was serious, proportionally excellent, and realistic ... It looked like an animal, not so much designed suit with stripes and patterns.....the eyes were an understated darkly lit highlight, not huge and colorfully in your face with obvious sclera, not cartoon-like.....
Then came the 93-- redesigned out of necessity for the loss of the 91 suit to pyrotechnics or whatever the reason was.....not a horrible design, but definitely an obviously designed character by this time.....

It's maybe the most effective look. That and '64 are the two best suits in Godzilla history. 2014 I am leaving out because with the FX, it has every advantage over the suits in creating a personality.

GMK. I know it was released in 2001, but I think of the Millennium series as '00 to '05.

And nothing sucks like the '67 and '05 suits for me.

Gotcha. Gmkis almost perfection for me. The hunch bugs me. It looks too costumized. But the maquette for it was beautiful and I LOVE the face.

There is so much sheer badassery in GMK the hunch barely registers with me. I had it on repeat while I painted the two figures this week, so I more or less watched it five times!

There is so much sheer badassery in GMK the hunch barely registers with me. I had it on repeat while I painted the two figures this week, so I more or less watched it five times!

Gmk has one of the best storytelling for a modern g film...you can thank the director who is also the gamera director....

These are my favorite g suits

Showa: 62, 64, 74

Heisei: 89/91

Post Millennium Heisei : Millenium concept, GMK -the most ferocious expression to date

^I pretty much agree with you on every one. I just have a fondness for '54 as well. I think for an original conception in the 50's, he's a homerun.

Gotcha. Gmkis almost perfection for me. The hunch bugs me. It looks too costumized. But the maquette for it was beautiful and I LOVE the face.

Agreed, the hunch looks unnatural and more like a problem with the suit, front on shots look badass though as do toys that take it out.

Agreed, the hunch looks unnatural and more like a problem with the suit, front on shots look badass though as do toys that take it out.

Yeah, the money shots were always up-front and center. I distinctly remember him peering over the mountain at the couple taking pictures, the first time he used his breath in the parking lot, and when he was snarling at the main characters at the end before he blew himself up to bits and saying oh my god I don't think Godzilla has ever looked better.

They did a great job with the face. I loved his feet and claws and his skin texture. And the spines were totally badass. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the figures have truly captured what I love about the suit. I think GMK Godzilla would make a great "closed mouth" figure, with his infamous grimace. And the angry brow. Yeah, I'd be on that like white on rice.

Back