Godzilla Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still don't like the spines they don't pop enough. I wish the red had bright red effect towards the neck and shoulder area

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

No way that's camera angle. The tail is definitely light on red paint. Unfortunately that's what you get sometimes when individual parts are painted by different people and then assembled later.

The larger picture does help, and I can see that I was wrong about the angle.
It does appear that the black paint is too light. I say black because I believe
that the figure is actually molded in red. I hope that this issue is corrected before
the figures begin shipping.

I do believe that they are just special color versions. The special color versions are nice and all, but
when is SHMA going to produce some NEW figures? Bring on the 1984 Godzilla!

It can be said that these repaints are funding the line. Cheaper to make than a full figure. I think without them the line would be dead. They're running out soon though. All that's left is Biollante I think.

Hopefully the 74 Mecha G sells well to show interest in more Showa.

I'd be curious to know if the poor paint QC on Shin figures hurt them or not, fan disappointment seemed high but sales seemed successful regardless.

It can be said that these repaints are funding the line. Cheaper to make than a full figure. I think without them the line would be dead. They're running out soon though. All that's left is Biollante I think.

Hopefully the 74 Mecha G sells well to show interest in more Showa.

I was pretty surprised that '74 Mechagodzilla was a web exclusive in Japan, yet that animated one was a normal release? I am hopeful for Biollante now as well. I have to think this line makes more a lot money in the US if they're not even confident in the '74 MG selling well at retail in Japan. I wonder if these 'special color versions' are just ways to do additional runs for the US?

Either way I'm really happy because I missed literally ALL of the and I love the extra accessories, and would feel kinda bummed if I had the first releases. Like that flying King Ghidorah stand makes that figure even more awesome.

I'd be curious to know if the poor paint QC on Shin figures hurt them or not, fan disappointment seemed high but sales seemed successful regardless.

They're doing another run of Shin that is sold out most places, so regardless people (me included) still want him.

The larger picture does help, and I can see that I was wrong about the angle.
It does appear that the black paint is too light. I say black because I believe
that the figure is actually molded in red. I hope that this issue is corrected before
the figures begin shipping.
Yes, I stand corrected. It was molded in red and then painted black. Either way, it's not consistent from one section to the next.

No it isn't consistent, and the bigger picture really shows it. I hope that issue is addressed and corrected
before the figures are shipped out.

XM Shin looks like that (not enough red) because when you paint Shin, you need to fully sprayed his entire body in red then either:
a) use thick black-grey color to paint outer skin layer or
b) lightly spray it with black color enough times (and it must be at the right level)
X-Plus' is kinda reddish because they only sprayed it from front or from above only 3-4 times. This is why you saw him "red" from below angle.

In reality, to get your Shin film-accurate, you can't depend on factory paint. Not from anywhere, even from Kaiyodo's prepainted maquette. With those wrinkles, burnt skin, gums, fins, protuded tail bones, red-glowing body, You need to do A LOT more work.

If you got X-Plus gigantic, at least you could try dry-brushing his skins with silver color. It'll bring up more details.

In reality, to get your Shin film-accurate, you can't depend on factory paint. Not from anywhere, even from Kaiyodo's prepainted maquette.

Technically, Kaiyodo's maquette is accurately painted as the original maquette didn't define the red to the level the final CGI model did, and the maquette features spikes/teeth atop his head which were removed from the design for the final CGI model, so if you buy the Kaiyodo piece, you are getting a faithful copy of the maquette, but you're not getting a film accurate piece.

Kaiyodo's still the most accurate Shin Godzilla model so far. You can tell that its appearance, which was scanned to create the very cg model in the movie, was actually used in few scenes, particularly...
1. When Shin was bombarded at the head by tanks.
2. After Shin wasted the city and stop by Tokyo station.
3. At the start of Yashiori operation when 2 explosive-filled Shinkansens were about to hit his feet.
And tiny fangs on his head can be overseen completely if you painted it black so...

I agree about the color on Kaiyodo's prepainted though.

Well I just bought my first X-Plus (figure?.....statue?). I figured what the hell and went right for the big guns and got King Ghidorah, he should be here next week.

Not a bad place to start. It's a great (but delicate) figure, at least Showa Ghidorah is.

I hate how the Kaiyodo Shin has that damn lean. It looks so awkward with that figure, i much prefer the aggressive and fluid motion of the gigantic, straight from the radioactive breath scene.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Showa, that's what I grew up with watching "Creature Double Feature" on TV every Saturday. I like all the stuff that came after that era but it doesn't hold that level of nostalgia for me, I like my kaiju to look like dudes in rubber suits and I like the military to look like wind up toys...theres a certain charm in that and an artistry in creating detailed cities that are just going to get smashed to bits during filming.

I hate how the Kaiyodo Shin has that damn lean. It looks so awkward with that figure,

Oh, that lean. Aside from Shin is actually moving and standing like that few times in the movie, it's because the figure was made from soft vinyl. It bent to pressure and heat. You need to reinforced both its legs with foam and positioning the stand which supporting its tail correctly. If you did it right you'll get not-so-lean-like-the-original maquette look. However, If you positioned it wrong then the tail will goes up too high Shin'll lean so bad he's trying to kiss the floor. That's what happened to many.

And trust me even if it did, it doesn't look that bad in person. Kinda balancing with his enormous tail I'd say.

Ghidorah showed up today and I was blown away by the sheer size of him, to the point that I'm gonna need to rethink my display options! I also grabbed a 71 Godzilla to accompany him since you really should start with the big man himself. These guys are my first X-Plus figures and I'm already hooked, I just wish I could find a 25cm Gigan at a decent price instead of the small fortune he seems to be going for. Rodan is next while he's still somewhat reasonable.

Last edited:
Back